Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found this article by Peter Bregman on Harvard Business Review today.

The Big Test: How to Handle Performance Pressure - Peter Bregman - Harvard Business Review

Linking the problems of procrastination and perfectionism together, it speaks VOLUMES to me!

Right about now I'm working round the clock (well not literally, yet) to finish my writing due early next week. (And I'll get back to it again as soon as this is posted...) I can so relate to my wanting things to be perfect and having aeons of time, making me just be totally improductive and just keep stressing about not getting anything done. Really deadlines sometimes seem to be the only thing that can get me moving...

Reading his post made me feel less bad about this, as I realized this feeling in itself is very detrimental to any creativity and productivity. I guess I just need to be more relaxed and not take life so seriously?

What about you?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I like to think I'm not a perfectionist but I so am. When I've gotten creative and managed to write something, I will prefer to go over and over and over it, editing it to make it perfect, rather than finishing it or writing new stuff. So yes, it definitely gets in the way of productivity and creativeness.

This is why I used to excel in exams - in a time-pressured environment I just had to write what I knew, I never had time to go over it so I would always leave the exam thinking I had failed it, then I'd get a good grade and usually when I read over the exam transcript at a later date I would be amazed at how concise and GOOD it was :laughing:

I hate deadlines and structured learning environments. Structured ANYTHING environments to be honest. But I realize that they are the best thing for me. Unfortunately, it doesn't take long for me to rebel against any structure I impose on myself. I need consequences. I need a guy standing over me with a whip telling me to finish it or he's going to kill all the kittens in the world and make their guts into new whips to whip me with for the rest of my life. Or maybe even something slightly less mean would do it :crazy:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This is why I used to excel in exams - in a time-pressured environment I just had to write what I knew, I never had time to go over it so I would always leave the exam thinking I had failed it, then I'd get a good grade and usually when I read over the exam transcript at a later date I would be amazed at how concise and GOOD it was :laughing:
That's basically the story of my university life. I can vividly remember the days I spent brooding over a 'failed exam' only to later find out I had the highest score on that exam, ever. And that everyone else in my class failed it to boot.

Sorry for the 'look at how awesome I am'-post, it's not intended that way. :crazy:

edit: I guess it'd be on-topic to mention that I put off going to university at all because I thought I wouldn't make it, and instead worked in security for a couple years to gather the courage. My perfectionist mind basically said "If you can't score straight A's, you might as well not do it at all!". Overcoming that kind of thinking really made me a lot more succesful in life in general.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
OMG that sounds just like me!! And it is exactly what I'm doing right now! I have an assignment due next week and so far I have nothing written down because I'm spending all of my time stressing over it. When I'm enjoying myself I'm thinking "I shouldn't be enjoying myself I should be working on my essay!"

*Sigh*

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes i am doing this right now. and i have kept doing it since summer. I have to work on my senior project and i tried to do the summer timeline when i had more free time and it just failed. so i am going to tell her i am switching to the school timeline. anyway. I should get back to work becuase i have to look up stuff for a test.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I don't think I am a perfectionist, though I am in certain areas where I feel them most important. I am a horrible procrastinator.... that being said, I am going to be really kicking myself in the next few weeks with last minute paperwork.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'm not perfectionist, If anything I strive for non-perfection.

In my mind, I'm a perfectionist on how I believe people should act but that is about it.
LOL. So Fe.

Reactions: Jinsei

·
Registered
37 Posts
My perfectionist tendencies can be a huge issue for me, and they totally play into my procrastination. Thanks for the link I will have to give the article a read.

Reactions: Jinsei
1 - 10 of 10 Posts