Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any ISTP here found a way to at least control their procrastination tendency? I'm trying to at least curb this tendency a little to stop with the all nighters I pull the day before an assignment is due...

"If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done." - Unknown

Reactions: chickydoda

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like a to do list? I use to write those but stopped for some reason. I'll try and start that up again...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yeah, except I'm not that good at following todo lists or keeping them up but sometimes I try to break things down into the minutest things like: put book on table. (Well maybe not that minute:p)

Or maybe write crap about how you don't want to do it and why blah blah blah so at least your focus is on your work and not other things like what's on the internet.
I don't know, I made that up. There are so many things I am putting off so I'm not the best person to answer:p

·
Registered
851 Posts
Has any ISTP here found a way to at least control their procrastination tendency? I'm trying to at least curb this tendency a little to stop with the all nighters I pull the day before an assignment is due...

"If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done." - Unknown
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I put so much that I have to do by, "x" day off, because right now is just too intriguing and "I'll always have tomorrow." I've even gone as far as putting an entire school project off until 2-3 hours before I have to turn it in and then scrambling to get it looking decent enough for a C before class.

So I've been thinking, if I can find a way to make something interesting to me, I won't put it off because I'll actually want to do it. So instead of taking that daily jog around my plain neighborhood, maybe going to a beach or lake. Maybe even replacing it with some other intense cardio, like rock climbing, biking or swimming and switching it up every once and awhile.

Of course this won't work with everything, like school projects or homework, but it can sure help with others.

P.S.- This did actually work with homework when I was younger(5-9 years old). The only way my parents could get me to do it, was to have me run through the house and every other time I'd pass them they'd yell out a word,equation etc. When I'd come back around I'd yell out the answer and so on, lol. So I'd say it's worth another shot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Has any ISTP here found a way to at least control their procrastination tendency?
Nope. I didn't control it even for a bit.

But, I develop a system for myself that I would use to get everything done.

1. For something that I truly HATE to do:
  • Swap the task with someone
  • Pay someone to work on it
I don't like to waste my energy to work on something that I loathe!

2. For something that I DON'T REALLY LIKE to do but needs to be done anyway:

• Wait until a day before the deadline, and work on it like crazy.
  • Work on it in the most unlikely places (under the table, in the bathroom, etc)
  • Leave it for a day, and work on it in the next day (if I still remember them...)
I like to keep myself distracted when I'm stuck in this category. I have three options
because I'm a very moody person. If I don't like one of them, I could always switch.
It really helps me to keep myself sane...

3. For something that I REALLY LOVE to do:

• There's no way in he*l you could stop me doing this!!!

Ok, those are my systems. Feel free to use it because sometimes it works like
magic for me and sometimes it sucks (especially when I'm in a really bad mood).

One thing for sure, don't try to follow all the productivity tips that you've found, because
most of them won't work for you anyway. Just find your own strategy that's comfortable,
fun, and simple to use. And stick with it!

If you're good at working in a crazy speed a day before the deadline, then tweak it!
It could be the best productivity weapon you have ;)

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
305 Posts
2. For something that I DON'T REALLY LIKE to do but needs to be done anyway:

[*]Work on it in the most unlikely places (under the table, in the bathroom, etc)
lol @ that.

For me it's much, much simpler...

- Choose my goals in life I want to achieve.....then work on them like crazy until they're done.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
When I was writing my thesis I found that if I don't give myself clear deadlines/limits I won't get anything done. After procrastinating some 6 months I rented a study room with no distractions (no Internet connection, no books, no dishes, nothing) and shut myself in there every day until I had produced minimum 2 pages worth of text. I had noticed that after I had struggled with two pages there was a chance that I'd get interested enough to write more just for the fun of it - it just pretty much never happened before the limit of 2 pages.

I also noticed that in WoW raids I was getting lazy without damagemeters. There is apparently enough of competitive spirit in me to not want to be the poorest performer! I wouldn't usually compete about the top spot, though, at least without a good incentive to do so. Maybe this is also why I did pretty well in school - with the Gaussian bell curve used in the grading I knew where I stood compared to the others.

Maybe I should be working on a system to use the hated statistics sheet to make me do boring work stuff in time. Something like: "In average, Bob does 2,5 [jobs] per day - I must do at least as much." With the non-communicative bosses those sheets are the only way for me to figure how I am doing here.. Maybe there are other evaluation tools but they're out of my reach.

I also agree with ayu - the money paid to someone else for the boring work is so worth it. Otherwise I'd just feel bad weeks and weeks and still get nothing done.

Reactions: Galldune

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a bit off topic but what class is your main..Seralya
I'm a boomkin here lol on hellscream :p

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm so happy to see no-one uses self-rewarding. Happy because I've always thought what the hell is wrong with me, why I'm the only person for whom this doesn't work. I know there's no use in saying "When I'll finish this page, I'll deserve an ice-cream", because I know I'll eat it anyway. Also competing with others doesn't work because I was always the best or the worst in something so I've never developed a competing spirit.

Damn, I actually don't have any procrastination fixes :/ The only thing that works is "the due is in 2 hours, sit down and write you lazy mot******ker!!"

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
a bit off topic but what class is your main..Seralya
I'm a boomkin here lol on hellscream :p
Gnome mage & cow2nelf bear. I did quit playing a bit after the Raid Leader and Main Assist jobs became obsolete. Not that I used to be any of them, but I liked the challenges that came with real strategies.. zerg rushing is so boring.

@Darner: To be honest, I have never even thought self-rewarding as a possible strategy. I can't even figure out what I could use as a reward.. It all reeks J, somehow. I mean, what if I could get ice-cream after finishing this paper? Hm, too much job for a lousy cone - maybe I should go and make pancakes instead.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I gave up on forcing something upon me for which I yield no natural interest. Last minute cluster fucks were always good enough to get through, mostly average, sometimes ugly and sometimes even beautifully.

Amount of time doesn't matter anyway, as long as one has natural efficiency most other things fall into place.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Lol Seralya, usually the price should be something you like. So if pancakes work for you, why not :D But for example, I thrive on ice-cream and also on Hummers, but neither one will convince me to finish a job. (However, it would work, if somebody else would offer to buy me a Hummer :p )

·
Registered
261 Posts
Usually exercising can help one stayed focused since it makes one more alert. Listen to music while you work/clean. Eat healthy foods before a major project. Get proper sleep. Get therapy if you're depressed instead of putting it off....

... and somehow make the work interesting.

I should probably do those... tomorrow. :mellow:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like putting pictures of what I want to acheive somewhere that I can see them constantly. My room is covered with pictures of graduate schools I want to get accepted into so that I feel inclined to study for my GRE... pictures of a bathing suit I want to wear next to my elliptical machine, etc. That may be super lame, but it works for me. Visual motivation works wonders because even though I love the feeling of getting a job done it doesn't really motivate me unless I am enjoying the process of completing the job, but I share the pain procrastination brings. Perhaps I should not be on this website right now... hmmm...

Reactions: alionsroar

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have had 4000 word coursework this week nearly done and then last week my english teacher gave me a 1500 essay to do!
Anyway...I find that if I do some research first just to get me into the subject I can get inspired and start writing. For the english I just wrote 1000 words of crap :laughing:

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I focus well with caffeine out of my system, recent exercise, thorough sleep, some discipline, and I usually have to convince myself of something that would force me to do it: namely how important sleep is for my testosterone levels (important) which help get me women, or lack thereof. So this sort of impending doom helps motivate me to finish my homework before 11pm.

I like putting pictures of what I want to acheive somewhere that I can see them constantly. My room is covered with pictures of graduate schools I want to get accepted into so that I feel inclined to study for my GRE... pictures of a bathing suit I want to wear next to my elliptical machine, etc. That may be super lame, but it works for me. Visual motivation works wonders because even though I love the feeling of getting a job done it doesn't really motivate me unless I am enjoying the process of completing the job, but I share the pain procrastination brings. Perhaps I should not be on this website right now... hmmm...

Actually... I thought about this but never did it. I'll try. I often find the only time I'm motivated to get off my ass is when I have something visually interesting flipping the "do stuff" switch in my mind.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on procrastination. When I have some, I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Actually... I thought about this but never did it. I'll try. I often find the only time I'm motivated to get off my ass is when I have something visually interesting flipping the "do stuff" switch in my mind.
Right there. Sometimes I'll get motivated at a bad time and think, "Alright, you got this later. Nothings gonna stop you." Only to find that later I no longer have the motivation, which can be as little as an hour later, lol.

It's like if I don't act right away on my motivation, I lose it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Lol Seralya, usually the price should be something you like. So if pancakes work for you, why not :D But for example, I thrive on ice-cream and also on Hummers, but neither one will convince me to finish a job. (However, it would work, if somebody else would offer to buy me a Hummer :p )
You didn't understand my example. What I meant to say is that if I decide on a reward (ice cream), I will make a quick calculation about the job versus the reward, decide it's not worth it and go for something else (pan cakes).

@wicked Witch, I forgot about the pictures. I have done that, too. I wallpapered that study room of mine with images that pictured what I wanted to achieve. Right now I'd need a plaque with "Don't ask the others because they don't know the answers any better than you self" but I don't want to cause negativity here. :tongue:

(This is why I need to figure out how to write that in Latin.)

Reactions: Galldune
1 - 20 of 30 Posts