Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone out there who could possibly help me:

Recently (as in the past couple years or so, maybe, not so much when I was younger) I've become really terrible at concentrating on one thing at a time. :mellow: It's not a fun time, let me tell you. I'm constantly poking around, wasting time, and it's so frustrating to not have the energy? Motivation? I don't even know.

I really wish I could be one of those people who just thrives of doing things, but somehow, lately, that hasn't been me. I haven't had a really productive day in months. I have no idea how to fix this. Any ideas, guys? Thanksabunch.

(P.S. I'm also new here... so hi! and if you could give me your top tips [tip top tip top :crazy:] to navigating the world and Personality Cafe, I will love you forever. ^^)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can somewhat relate to that. Something similar happened to me a while ago, I believe because I was so focused on what was gonna happen 6 months or more later, and lost interest on the 'here and now'. Procrastination caused me to feel blue, even borderline depressed, since I despise people who can't get their affairs in order, and at the time I felt like one of them.

The fix was quick and effective. I split my plans in half: my super-awesome long-term plans and my short-term obligations (kinda like an SJ). The second and most important part is to actually be willing to change. You have to say to yourself "From now on it's gonna be different" and actually deliver on that. You'll enjoy finishing the day with a few hours spare and you'll feel a lot more 'in order'. Believe it or not, that also motivated me to pursue my long-term goals.

Good luck.

·
mafia mod
13,320 Posts
I could use more info. What type of work are you doing? And the procrastinating, is it just at work or does it transfer to other areas of your life?

My gut reaction however is that you are bored either with your job, school or life in general.

Navigating the forums. Well depends what you are looking for. We've got current events, critical thinking and philosophy, debate forum for some interesting and sometimes heated discussions.
for lighter stuff there is general chat and the game forum. Of course there is the sex and relationships forum, one of the most popular ones.

On this forum we have a ghost ohTOMICho‎, she was eaten by one us and now she is haunting the forum. She's harmless so dont be afraid if you see her

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm doing school-type work. Like, maths/biology/English/social-sciences/Spanish. The procrastinating is at work, mostly, but it definitely extends to other parts of my life. I bet if I was doing anything major besides schoolwork that I didn't particularly like, and had to do, I would procrastinate with that too. But schoolwork is the only positiveneutral-to-negative thing I do (everything else is positive or I just don't do it at all) so I wouldn't know.

The thing is, I've always been that person who's AWESOME at starting things and then awful at finishing them. Maybe it's just a personality flaw? (I have many of them.) But I'm of the opinion that personality flaws can be fixed if one tries hard enough... I just don't know how to fix this one.

·
mafia mod
13,320 Posts
burn out or boredom. Try doing something new, like take up a new hobby or go to a new place. If anything, it will give you a fresh perspective on things.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
hehe if you can find an answer to being able to enjoy the INCREDIBLE BOREDOM of life, then please post it

I'm hoping I get run over by a bus every day, just for the diversion

as far as dealing with your little procrastination problem, I recommend David Allen's book "getting things done fast", it's good and useful, except it doesn't really help with the UNBELIEVABLE BOREDOM of life

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Hmmmm.... I am so good at planning for the future that I have a hard time adjusting to what needs to be done in the present. Keep a planner always. List all the things that need to be done tomorrow the night before. Keep a separate planner for the long-term goals.

I have a basic (actually really pretty lol) journal that I have with me. When the present became difficult to manage for me, I decided to throw away calendars for the day-to-day tasks. My calendar has all the big milestone deadlines (stradegy). My planner has the all the tasks (tactics). Yep, when you're on-woman-show on a project, things can get messy.

And the whole boredom bit---- A new perspective is your only remedy. I look at boredom now as a chance to be completely lazy. Whether it be people watching, going out to take pictures of random things, or watching a marathon of whatever tv series all day (Yeh, I like knowing the story in one sitting. I hate waiting for the next episode so I wait for the box set.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

@Dear Sigmund - It's a bit difficult getting to do new things considering my situation (teenager with no car) but I like it. :proud:

@The Proof - What INCREDIBLE BOREDOM?:shocked:There's no such thing! You have to enjoy the little things in life. You know why little babies are never bored? Because they're new and curious. If you act like a little kid (minus the crying and immaturity bit) then you can see the world in a new way.

@Aila8 - I've toyed with the idea of keeping a journal. Now I think I really will... I just wrote on the cover of a fuchsia one and it says: TheNCofD's Random Junk and Such.
I like it already. Thanks! :laughing:

Woah, too many smiley faces. Oh well. ^^

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have a friend who handles this by having 3 important things at all times that he allows himself to switch between. These may be tasks standing alone or subtasks of a larger thing you want to accomplish such as clean your kitchen or something. If he becomes bored with one thing, he moves on to one of the other three. But keeping it three and no more ensures that you make progress by not allowing yourself to scatter quite as much.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I display that kind of behavior when I am in a situation where there are too many uncontrollable factors. Do you have something you have to pour your energy into on a regular basis, and that's not under your control?

Maybe a girlfriend or boyfriend that demands a lot of attention, a routine task that's your area of resposibility, a coworker that's difficult to cooperate with or some project with an outcome that's difficult to predict?

I know I am a lot more productive when I am not under the passive influence of some circumstances. Fact is, when I am free to act fully according to my own will, I am a goddamn machine - filled with energy - steamrolling my way through my to-do-lists and goals - But when I get too restrained by circumstantial factors and routine, I turn really sad and passive pretty quick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Aila8 - I wasn't aware... this may have something to do with the fact that it was an inside joke and I am, according to my post count, a "stranger." :mellow:

@NastyCat - I REQUEST THE HIGHEST OF FIVES. :proud:

@NiDBiLD - There's nothing really in my life that I have no control over... in general, I'm a very controlling person and I could see how that would throw me off completely.

On second thought, though, I have had a couple instances in the past couple weeks/months where my opinion of myself has been shaken a bit. A friend walked out on me, people telling me I'm too "coldhearted" and other choice words, basically saying I was a person whose character needed to be fixed, that I thought I was better than I actually was.

I think that really threw me off. I used to be obsessed with school, dying to be better, pushing the limits, always trying to break the mold. When people started telling me that who I was wasn't good enough, I withdrew. I guess I just didn't want to be me anymore.

This weekend I came to terms with the fact that I'm an ENTJ and I like it that way, and anyone who says I need to get an attitude adjustment can go get themselves one. And I guess this rekindled pride in who I am and what I can be is really the kicker... because I've gotten so much done between the time I first posted my question and this post, it's crazy.

Also: for anyone reading this having the same problems as me - the three-item rotation thing suggested by @gypaetus and the journal-keeping thing suggested by @Aila8 are wonderful and keep me totally on track (to take over the world... mwahahahahahaha!)

·
mafia mod
13,320 Posts
"people telling me I'm too "coldhearted" and other choice words, basically saying I was a person whose character needed to be fixed, that I thought I was better than I actually was."

Sorry to hear that. Some people have a hard time accepting ENTJs. If they dont understand you, they judge you. Next time you may take it as an opportunity to educate your friends and acquaintances.

·
Registered
771 Posts
My concentration is truly abysmal, as is my ability to recall names...and I always toiled with formula...not that i ever use it these days save for baking, and thats really ratios v baking tin

Are you poking around or do you find yourself meandering off in directions that are interesting?
Do you do this in isolation,true boredom, curiosity

You never said? Along with what you find productive

PS welcome
PS PS I still cant navigate on here..perhaps i float about due to boredom periodically

I mean if its pretty boring I cant help wonder why anyone would concentrate on anything...other than to please and you lot are equally as pleasing as a minority of my lot ( I think we are just no-one agrees)
is you answer less i need to spell it out a little more?

you merely need challenged - few lost souls ever get this at skool

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Get used to the "coldhearted" comments or "you're too proud at times" comments. The ones that don't understand you will automatically think this way, while deep down inside you don't feel nowhere near coldhearted or proud.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If they don't understand you, they judge you.
That describes my life completely. People either get me or they don't. At all. And it's really frustrating when everything I do is picked apart by these people who don't get it.

And yes! I don't feel coldhearted or proud... well, I feel proud, but shouldn't I? I don't see why I should be self-deprecating just because other people feel bad about themselves. I like who I am and yes, I'm proud of that. And I think everyone should be! But ice-queen-esque? Not really...

Actually, I get the ice-queen one a lot. And I suppose I could understand it... I can be pretty detached, both from the "right thing to do" and from other people's feelings.

I can get cutthroat and sometimes people tell me that my priorities are all wrong. That really gets me down...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.