Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving myself crazy because I have an assignment due in a couple of days and here I am browzing the web for ridiculous things like pictures of fairies. The most annoying thing is, this has been a terrible habit ever since I can remember. I love my course but I just DON'T have the motivation to study for it, and I'm afraid it will lead me to fail :(

Can anyone else relate to this? And any motivational tips??? I desperately need some help..................grrrrr

Love you all xoxoxo:crazy:

·
Registered
79 Posts
In high school I would sometimes write papers the class before they were due. I always wait till the last minute with just about everything. The only advice I have for you is get to work! :tongue:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, if only "getting to work" was that simple! My "P" function (i think it's that one, or it could be my "F", not feeling like working) is too preoccupied with seemingly more important things like facebook, personality cafe and, again, pictures of fairies.
...ooh I just found a picture of fairy bread, I WANT SOME NOW!!! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm terrible with procrastination. I can be terribly bored on the internet, but as soon as I start working on something, I will do anything to get back on the internet to browse XD.

A strategy that works sometimes is not allowing myself to open internet till I achieve certain goals. Like say I get 5-10 minutes of internet time for an hour of work or for writing a paragraph... Stuff like that

·
Registered
85 Posts
I totally understand that!!!
I did (*ahem* rushed through) my assignments just 1.5 days before it's due when I was in college.
I would hem and haw and drag and spiral in my mind when there's STILL TIME TO DO IT. Browsing the web is just a ...mental escape. (maybe it's just me). :blushed: At some pioint it got quite pathological that I could keep searching for anything that came up to my mind when there's actually nothing needed to look at.:confused:

1) Maybe you can try to internaly convince or hypnotize yourself the assignment is due earlier. It woud be very ok once you GET IT STARTED.
2) Browse the web for assignment related things and copy some useful points/ keywords down, get the A-HA moment and start working enthusiastically without any of the browers being opened.
3) Yes, xToXiCx 's strategy worked for me~
4) Do your assignment in the library or where there's the right atmosphere, you may feel motivated when you bring your all books and "devices" along to a "special" place to work on something.

Hope it would help... coz dunno how good the "tips" from another professional procrastinator could do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always leave things till the last minute and put others off for ages. Really sucks. :/
I can never manage to keep myself motivated for too long really, going to keep checking in here. :p

The one thing I found though is that when I get some motivation I should always go with it and keep at that task, or whatever, as much as I can. This has often led me to work on some project or another for 8-hour almost-uninterrupted sessions and so are obviously quite productive. :tongue: I would strongly recommend you always take advantage of any motivation you get because it just doesn't last...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've been procrastinating since grades school, and now I'm in my second year of college. It truly sucks, and I keep trying to change it, but it's so hard!

Speaking of, I've got a midterm Monday that I've got to study for - but no motivation... cleaning the apartment instead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys and gals! It's due in tomorrow, I will try my hardest not to get distracted...yet here I am again!

Haha I wish us all the best of luck with overcoming procrastination!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My thoughts:

"What would any of us really do if we had extra time – nothing. Isn’t that the whole point to be able to do nothing at all? Well we’re not guaranteed that extra time later on, all we have is here and now which is why procrastination feels so right. What I'm trying to say is … Procrastinate now, don't put it off." -Ellen Degeneres

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have procrastinated months on doing things before, and it totally kills me. If I don't need the computer to do something, even if it's for ten minutes, I will shut the thing off, and then hopefully I'll be too lazy to turn the computer back on .______.

Wow, I'm pretty bad myself. hideandseek, get the FFFFFF off of here and do your homework maam D:

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i do have this problem but itisn't to bad and i'm getting better at it, haven't handed anything in late this year yet

Reactions: niki

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I love putting things off till the end... When you do it before the big day, it's like a rush to put your all to it in one single day. XD

·
Registered
264 Posts
My excuse for procrastinating today is because I woke up a little sick. So I've been spending my day watching old Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes and drinking tea out the yin yang. :D I did get one assigmnent 95% done (need a printer, which is at school), and did a little bit of studying for my midterm tomorrow, but my first priority is my health. At least that's my excuse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What can I say? Sometimes I doubt one can be cured of Procrastination. Maybe it is quite logical that if you are not motivated to finish today what is due tomorrow then why do it? Usually, I just struggle the very last day, my only motivation being that that day is the deadline, I am dead if I don't finish. That works and then the relief and further rest.

But I do think about it. I become sad about it. I have wished to be productive every day. And then I thought, maybe this is the "normal" situation. People will say you are lazy, but isn't that another idea in society that always wants you to be in non stop action? I mean, it's subjective whether this is good or bad. But then, the objective thing is that you DO have to finish your courseworks in time, you DO have to study, and sometimes when you leave it the very last time, you might not have a very good performance or a very complete coursework and you know you could do way better. And that's the sad thing.

I am curious which types are more affected by procrastination. I theorize that some of us INFPs are really pushed away from doing things when they are not feeling "natural" to them. I know I am so. When I don't feel like doing it, why should I oppress myself? This is the missing fuel, to start working on something one has to feel motivated.

At least that's how I work. If I don't feel like doing it, I feel a great repulsion as I try to approach the work I have to do. Sitting myself in front of my computer, trying to start a coursework, but great forces push me away. This explains that I am push away from the coursework window, and 10 times towards reading something on the internet, playing a game, doing irrelevant stuff. One tells me I could disable my internet connection. But he doesn't understand. This repulsive force against doing the coursework, will try to find anything else where I could hook on in order to avoid it. If it's not the internet, it's gaming, if it's not gaming, it's something else. It can be cooking or going out for a walk (at least taking a walk is a bit better because you are not pressed with the dileema, you are outside, no computer to either work on the coursework or not).

It's that repulsive force. It's our INFP situation where if we don't feel well with the idea of start working on something we struggle starting. Another secret I learned is that sometimes when I ignore this negative force and I do start, and if everything goes well and I start writting the first bits, then I forget this feeling of a bit and creativity starts to flow. But while I do know the secret now, sometimes I can't make myself to start. There is a peak of strong negative force when I try to start. But if I keep for 5-10 minutes it breaks. Then,. it's also important nothing distracts you (a phone or something). If it happens, you go back to the step zero. You stopped and the start still feels painful till you overcome it.

Good luck. It's something to live with, accept it. I have finished quite a lot of works (it even affects my hobbies, I was supposed to enjoy!) dispite the repulsive force of procrastination, but I always feel I could do way more if I was more productive. But maybe I should not care. Maybe it's ok to be idle for a while. Who says it's natural to always be the productive robot?

·
Registered
814 Posts
The title of this is my life story.
I'd offer you some help but I need some for myself. xD I can't seem to even get into the things I find interesting anymore. I jsut sit at the laptop all day, refreshing tabs until something new comes up...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts