Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo...

Us ISFP are known to be prone to laziness. How do you guys break it?

I hate that I'm super lazy. I often procrastinate works. My mind told me to work first play later but I just can't. Works stressed me out. Argh.:angry:

Also, how did you survive high school?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
This seems like super simple advice, but it helps to do things a little at a time. Like, say I'm assigned a paper that's due on Friday. My immediate reaction is to leave myself a 6-hour chunk of time late Thursday night and stock up on energy drinks... BUT it works soo much better if I set aside maybe 10 minutes to make an outline one night, then plan to find two sources the next day, then two the next, then start writing some paragraphs the following day, and so on. Otherwise, I get so overwhelmed, and what was maybe a 5-page paper starts seeming like a 20-page paper in my head. And then I just put it off more and more because I'm dreading it.

As for high school, I didn't survive it haha. I went to freshman year and a month of sophomore, then got a GED. I never had issues with procrastination, though, because everything was pretty easy. Hence why my study skills are so underdeveloped and my prof had to give me the advice I just shared with you haha

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow. :p

In school, I found something to motivate me. Usually, the thought of a shiny 4.0 GPA can do the trick for me.

Reactions: huilan

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
926 Posts
Without realizing it I procrastinated replying to this thread. I read it and was like... hmm maybe after I think of a really good answer. *sigh* It's an unbreakable habit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think the reason we procrastinate is because we are quite 'in the moment' and so we're not thinking too much about the future. Instead we're just taking in life as it is.

Anyway that doesn't really help solve the problem but it might be an excuse for it XD

I usually just try and actively think about the benefits of doing the thing I I'm putting off. It's usually a weight off your mind when you eventually get it done, and then you can get on with fun stuff :)

So yeah, now I'm gonna go tidy..

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ha ha ha I'm actually reading this thread instead of working on my Chem lab work for school.

I honestly don't know how I made it through high school. I just got things done in advance at times so I could have a break, but I do remember pulling frequent all-nighters to finish up papers. And I still do the same.....

Develop good study habits because it'll bite you back in the arse when you get into Uni. Focus on a goal, set up a schedule, find that slight motivation somewhere and use it to your full power.

Reactions: monce and Kyo

·
Banned
525 Posts
Loads of rationalization, and a glassful of inspiration.

Sometimes I also try to imagine the people whose opinions I have high regard for. What would they think if they see me laying around and wasting time. I'm fairly sure they would feel disappointed about me, and I wouldn't want that to happen. I wouldn't like to be faking it either; like, becoming diligent only when they're around to see it. Often, that's enough push for me, unless I'm feeling whiny, really unmotivated, and depressed. If it helps, find a crush, or anybody, or a cause, who could inspire you to strive to be a generally better person, lol. It helps as well to find a good support system.

Also reading online articles helps as well, surprisingly. One practical tip I've recently read was to focus on starting, rather than on finishing. This keeps us from being overwhelmed, and ultimately procrastinating, especially if a task seemed taking so long to accomplish. Anyway, here's the link: How to Overcome Procrastination Using Self Talk: 9 Steps

About high school, I don't know. I did skip classes and stuff, and did a lot of things that distracted me from my studies. Maybe the mentality to just be able to pass, made me pass. :p Also personal conditioning that I should at least finish my studies well, for usual reasons, like getting into a nice university, attain basic understanding and mental stamina to be able to sustain myself, etc. Still,
I didn't really care much about the grades.

However, this. I could personal attest to this, as I didn't really have good study habits:

Develop good study habits because it'll bite you back in the arse when you get into Uni. Focus on a goal, set up a schedule, find that slight motivation somewhere and use it to your full power.
If fear is enough to compel you to start working on your study habits, start working on it now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts