Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you able to let others help or take over a project you are passionately working on?

We finally closed on our house and I have been dying to rip up the old linoleum tiles and refinish the hardwood floors underneath. I made my run to home depot, got all my tools out and went to work. My husband was in the basement tinkering around with the boiler so he decided to come upstairs to help. Well! I bought this tile scraper so I can remove the tiles without having to bend over. He took the thing and started digging up the tiles. I almost had a heart attack. He was going against the grain, and there are a few digs in the wood. This is when I started to realize I am very protective and territorial when it comes to my projects. I care about them like one of my kids. He's there now, unsupervised and I told him if he touches my floor I'm going to break his face. Also, he keeps trying to hire people to do these projects that I am more than capable of handling...I almost feel offended!

Does anyone else get like this?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Are you able to let others help or take over a project you are passionately working on?

We finally closed on our house and I have been dying to rip up the old linoleum tiles and refinish the hardwood floors underneath. I made my run to home depot, got all my tools out and went to work. My husband was in the basement tinkering around with the boiler so he decided to come upstairs to help. Well! I bought this tile scraper so I can remove the tiles without having to bend over. He took the thing and started digging up the tiles. I almost had a heart attack. He was going against the grain, and there are a few digs in the wood. This is when I started to realize I am very protective and territorial when it comes to my projects. I care about them like one of my kids. He's there now, unsupervised and I told him if he touches my floor I'm going to break his face. Also, he keeps trying to hire people to do these projects that I am more than capable of handling...I almost feel offended!

Does anyone else get like this?
My dad does this to me all the time. Then he gets offended when I tell him I just wanna do stuff alone. I always have a mechanical project going of some sort. Like right now I have an F350 ford and an old farm tractor torn apart. I always have to tell him not to screw with them. He doesn't know what he's doing, and when he tries to help me, he always wants to do everything half assed.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
If I'm being asked for help I usually don't take nagging or complaints well. Ends in me walking away shrugging and having the nagging person do it alone. I shall have a good nights sleep that night, without any sort of guilt trip :tongue:

I don't like it if people intrude projects they weren't invited for, likewise I don't get threatened or angry in case something breaks or goes wrong, mistakes can always happen and are usually rather relative. Of course there's a line of unnecessary and/or stupidity I'd expect people to not cross by default.

If a project is finished (to me) I don't mind sharing it and have other people give it the finishing touch, but if for instance I see you messing with a source code of mine that isn't working to my satisfaction yet I'll shoot you in the back on the spot. Well, I would if I had a gun anyway. That is unless I definitely know you've an idea of what you're doing there. Overall, I hate other people touching my computer, it's a recipe for failure and Format C.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm just like you, Clarified. In fact, when I volunteered to scrape linoleum at a friend's house, her fiance started "pitching in" and it really irritated me. A) he wasn't doing it right; B) he was messing with my flow; C) I GOT THIS, OKAY???

I'm also really protective of my editing computer. My laptop I don't care as much about, it's *supposed* to get jacked up and re-formatted once a year or so, but my main computer can not be touched by anyone.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Yeah, I know perfectly well what ya mean. In my case though its because I just know if someone helps they either don't help to my satisfaction/muck up everything even worse.

My computer has always been off limits to everyone, family and friends. Same for my guitar and AMP, one time snapped like hell at my one friend who thought it was out of tune so he decided to re-tune it as well as change the amp equalizer settings. Lets just say, I don't use standard tuning like everyone else damnit, and I like having some mid-channel instead of pure bass or treble.

Last time I let a friend use the computer he was like "OH YOU CAN"T LIVE WITHOUT THIS PROGRAM I USE SO IMMA GO INSTALL IT FOR YA BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH." I punched him in the face because A: you never download shit onto my computer without my permission. B: Ended up having to go through hell to get rid of the malware infestation caused by it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I try not to be but some people just don't stop and think how should I do this. Sometimes help only makes more work not less. If the person is more knowledgeable then me help can be nice, but otherwise let me do it myself.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I get very territorial. It takes everything in me to stop from biting people's heads off when they try to pitch in. Like chiagirl said, I got this! Keep your dirty paws off my stuff, people!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts