Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you into stocks, what are some promising stocks to invest in? Promising as in, stocks that have a high probability of rising due to technological advancements.

Also what's your opinion on the upcoming twitter and alibaba IPOs. I would also like your opinion on penny stocks (yes I know they're risky, and that many are scams).

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
1. Learn how to do your own analysis, everyone who tells you about a "great stock", "sure thing", and so on are either lying or have an angle.

2. I don't buy social media IPOs on principle, because they tend to be overpriced, get pumped more and then crash. Alibaba I'm not familiar with at all, so I'm not giving an opinion, but I'll give you a tip: Barriers to entry and USP.

3. Penny stocks is a diceroll, if you wouldn't be comfortable holding it for at least 2 years, probably 5+ then don't buy it. Penny stocks tend to have much higher volatility, so it's a question about how much you trust your ability to take pain, how much you are willing to gamble with and your own risk appetite (hint, it's always lower than you think).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Blackberry Limited. :laughing:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Former ibanker reporting in.

Chances are if someone tells you about a 'great opportunity' for a stock, chances are a hedge fund or such has already exploited the shit out of it.

Pick up a couple textbooks on how the markets work and brush on your corporate analysis skills. That will help you pin out some great firms. You do not need a high math skill as an investor. You do, however, need to know how the markets will react when someone panics or screws up in trading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts