Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the Protector label should be given to an SJ. I do believe INFJ's would in fact protect their loved ones but there are few personalities as protective as SJ's. A better word to describe INFJ's would probably be something like Revolutionist,idealist or even philosopher. From Libertarianism to Communism INFJ's are front and center in these movements. Sometimes we might need a Ron Paul or a Ghandi.

Anyways, I made this thread so that you can discuss a better label for the INFJ personality type. What do you think is a better label for the INFJ's? Also it would be great if you said something funny.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hahaaaaa, I like protectors, we protect humanity from itself.

ESTJs are "The Guardians". INFJs are more independent and loyal, ergo, "The Protectors". And since we are quite the individual variety of one type, 'the protectors' can be a nice general description, depending on how you look at it, of coarse.
so I disagree with the lot of people saying it isn't a good label.

But! I've heard people say we should be called "the Mystics".
Some call us the Counselors or the Confidants
Perhaps the "Aliens". Would be fine with me ..
The Intuitives?, Humanitarians?

There's actually a bunch of other forums on this subject, try googling for some other ideas :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree with Protectors as the title for INFJs. I don't think we express protectiveness in a very obvious way the way SJs would... it's sort of behind the scenes and a lot of the time people don't necessarily notice. We keep the peace in social situations, comfort and guide people, we're really careful about what we say to others and care for their feelings, um... it seems that we probably protect the mind and soul.

Not sure how I feel about Mystics...it feels really extreme, but I do really like the Counselor/Confidant label. Protector just kinda seems like a more general way to say that and includes even more. I like it. :]

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I've been accused of being a revolutionist, lol. I prefer the protector label, though. Revolutions often turn bloody despite the intention they were started with...

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
It depends on what you think a protector is. I think Superman is an INFJ. Superman doesn't want the spotlight. He would rather this shit didn't happen. lol. Seriously, it's selfish to want to live in a world that is damaged, only so you can save it. I would just rather the world be fine, and I didn't have to do anything. Everyone wants to be a hero, I would rather the world not need heroes.

Superman is not a revolutionary either. Superman doesn't even like politics. A revolutionary is often an ideologue, and are driven by some deep fire of a particular cause. Superman doesn't really want to have to be doing any of this shit, he's actually an introvert, and would rather just be by himself or with close friends; he just talks friendly with the public because he's nice and wants to set a good example. But the important thing about Superman is that is he compelled to action. He has to act. His conscience will not let him do otherwise. So he is kind of a reluctant hero. He's really something he wishes he didn't have to be.

Reactions: knightmonk

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm glad you posted, because I feel inherently political most of the time. I don't identify with a label then dust it off - I'm constantly evaluating and re-evaluating my actions, intentions, and beliefs. Revolutionary is probably a strong word... I feel more like a slacktavist at this stage in my life. If I knew of a group I felt a connection with, I would jump in.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
If you have ever witnessed an INFJ move in to action when their family or friends come under attack, you'd likely realise that 'The Protector' is apt.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm not much of a revolutionary as much as I am a person who likes equality. Also not a leader person (unless its of myself), I prefer to be in the background.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've been in situations where the people I love have been threatened and I assure you, the moment you experience one of those moments for yourself you will absolutely and unequivocally understand the title.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I agree 'The Protector' title is very weak and poorly thought out. Lazy even. I don't like it. It just seems so vague and baseless and does very little to communicate the value of the type's overall characteristics.

INFJs may very well be fiercely protective of those they love, but it's not like this particular trait somehow defines the basic or inherent nature of the type. It is hardly exclusive to INFJs anyway.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
I agree 'The Protector' title is very weak and poorly thought out. Lazy even. I don't like it. It just seems so vague and baseless and does very little to communicate the value of the type's overall characteristics.

INFJs may very well be fiercely protective of those they love, but it's not like this particular trait somehow defines the basic or inherent nature of the type. It is hardly exclusive to INFJs anyway.
That's why it need an archetype. Superman. I think he is perfect representation of a protector. From personality to motivations.

That would actually be a good question. Possibly thread worthy. What single person would each type choose to represent them? One that distills them to a single person.

Reactions: Rather Unusual

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,477 Posts
What do you think is a better label for the INFJ's?
I always thought Counselors was good but I think we can all agree upon Unicorns :p

Also it would be great if you said something funny.
Poop.

·
Registered
30,772 Posts
Fuck superman. God is an INFJ, (and she doesn't even know it.)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Protector: As others have mentioned, my "protector" side only really plays out when those I love are under attack in some way. While that feeling is overwhelmingly intense, it's not my normal mode of being. I do always favor things that look like they will protect humanity from itself as a whole, though...

Revolutionist: Hm, in a lot of way I agree with this title. It's true that, unless it was a really necessary step, I'd rather help as second in command and let an ENFJ or something take the lead. However. My soon-to-be-ex office manager, an ISTJ, and I often don't agree on the most basic of things. Her opinions are so very... lined up with society. Mine are much more... contrary.

For example-
I'm quitting said place of employment because I'm unhappy and we all deserve to enjoy what we do for a living.
Her thoughts are that a job is a job and you're not supposed to like it. That's why it's work and I need a reality check.
(To which I said I'd prove her wrong and that I'd come back to say that I told her so.)

I think where we are revolutionary is in thought, first and foremost.

Counselor: I am the person to come to if you need someone who will just listen. My shoulders are dry and open for tears. And I enjoy helping others through tough times!

So personally... I identify with the Revolutionary or Counselor the titles most.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts