1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a dedicated thread to my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKjqfUCABDEd6i8uQZ0BqTA
Psych Reviews

I'll try to keep it updated with a balance of Psychology, Meditation and Philosophy book reviews. Right now there's more meditation and a narcissist series that's complete, but I intend to do Freud through to the modern day. It's going to be fun!:heart:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I just finished a Narcissist Personality Disorder series, but I felt that there was something missing, which is help for the victim. Once victims have had their sense of self conditioned out of them, they have to rebuild it again in order to recover fully. There are lots of trap doors that slow down the healing process. Here are 5 tips for healing faster from Narcissistic Abuse.

1. Change your environment
2. Deal with Shame
3. Manage your anger
4. See your projections
5. Look at your cultural influences

Still working on the Freud series. So much to study!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As the 19th century came to an end, a new kind of philosopher was dawning for the 20th century. He would come up with strange and ground breaking theories of the human unconscious. Bridging the 19th century’s experience with Darwin and hard science, with softer sciences of hypnotism and free association.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it would make sense to describe my initial attitudes towards meditation and how I got into it in the first place. It shows how far I've come and also much further there is to go. There was a time I didn't believe Jhana was a thing at all. Right now going from 4th jhana to 5th is like a big wall, but having those 4 is still a good refuge.

Video:

Blog:

Jhana - Psych Reviews

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my review of the Freud classic Totem and Taboo. Despite so much legitimate criticism of Freud there's a lot of good stuff in his books and I can tell that I'll be able to use it as a foundation to understand later clinicians and thinkers.

Totem & Taboo - Sigmund Freud (Envy Part 2)

Psych Reviews blog:

Totem and Taboo - Sigmund Freud (Envy Part 2) - Psych Reviews

YouTube:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just cleaned up my first psychology review of Beverly Engel's - Breaking the cycle of abuse. There's also a good link in the video description and blog that has a chock full of insights on the cycle and how it moves from one generation to another via pathological shame.

Breaking the Cycle of Abuse - Beverly Engel

Blog:

Breaking the Cycle of Abuse - Beverly Engel - Psych Reviews

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a combination of psychology and meditation insights mixed together. His book alerted me to how unrealistic it would be to do mental work without some strain. Some strain is avoidable with meditation practices, but it is not completely avoidable.

Attention and Effort - Daniel Kahneman

Blog:

Attention and Effort - Daniel Kahneman - Psych Reviews

Video:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts