Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone experienced this? in short, its a phenomena used to describe memory loss due emotional detachement. emotions essentially are used as the bse structure of all memories and knowledge, and if you cut off your emotions, you cut off your memories.

happened to me. anyone else, or elsehow thoughts on the subject? =|

for example, at one point i notcied, that i had not a single memory of my past. i was an empty blank. and i forgot how to speak my native language.

Reactions: eks and SquareParty

·
Registered
165 Posts
HOLY FUCKING FUCK! I didn't know this was an INTP thing. I've learned to do it since I was a child because there was a lot of death in my family.

3 years ago I had a major falling out with a close friend and he chose to terminate our friendship. I went about my usual pattern of cutting (emotional) cords and excising memories like they were cancerous tumors. I've always done this with friendships/relationships gone bad. This time though, my formerly eidetic-adjacent memory is now gone to shit because I've compartmentalized that 10-year relationship into nothing but a series of bullet points (tumors in a jar).

Have anyone ever experienced a re-attachment after this amnesia has set in? Do you get your memory back, and intact?
That specific friend has expressed STRONG interest in being friends again, and now I'm interested to know if I get the memories back, because that'll answer my question of "What's In It For Me?"

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't think I generally have memory loss. I do have bad memory just from the fact that i don't pay attention to details whatsoever, but that's different. I didn't have many emotions when I was a child, so most of my younger memories are tied to annoyance and anxiety and anger, because those were emotions I felt. I have a long memory too, all the way back to four years old, and most of my memories stem from the thoughts I had. It's kind of strange. A lot of people see the past as the good old days, because they've tied good emotions in, and I don't feel that way at all. I can remember the constant anxiety about everything, and I have no desire to go back. At all. Ever. I didn't even have a bad childhood or anything, and I have a very functional, caring family..... I still have bouts of intense anger to this day over the most absurd stuff stemming from when I was younger and I can't get rid of it....

Reactions: that

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I think this has happened to me on accident, and I don't really like it.

Only to the extent that my past is foggy and much is not present.. I have never forgotten how to speak English or anything like that.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HOLY FUCKING FUCK! I didn't know this was an INTP thing. I've learned to do it since I was a child because there was a lot of death in my family.

3 years ago I had a major falling out with a close friend and he chose to terminate our friendship. I went about my usual pattern of cutting (emotional) cords and excising memories like they were cancerous tumors. I've always done this with friendships/relationships gone bad. This time though, my formerly eidetic-adjacent memory is now gone to shit because I've compartmentalized that 10-year relationship into nothing but a series of bullet points (tumors in a jar).

Have anyone ever experienced a re-attachment after this amnesia has set in? Do you get your memory back, and intact?
That specific friend has expressed STRONG interest in being friends again, and now I'm interested to know if I get the memories back, because that'll answer my question of "What's In It For Me?"
it all happens for a reason. an emotional reason. im in the process of becoming myself again, but i realize ive been trying to be someone else my whole life, so i dont really know who i even am.

if you can find a solution to the emotion that caused it, then it will happen by itself. dont know if this tactic is good, but im isolating the contagious emotion and studying it, to understand why, without getting overhwlemed by it, so i could figure an answer to it. although im coming to suspect, that the real answer that would cure all of these, is to receive compassion. it works like a magic substance that you somehow intuitively know how to use to repair the damage.

I don't think I generally have memory loss. I do have bad memory just from the fact that i don't pay attention to details whatsoever, but that's different. I didn't have many emotions when I was a child, so most of my younger memories are tied to annoyance and anxiety and anger, because those were emotions I felt. I have a long memory too, all the way back to four years old, and most of my memories stem from the thoughts I had. It's kind of strange. A lot of people see the past as the good old days, because they've tied good emotions in, and I don't feel that way at all. I can remember the constant anxiety about everything, and I have no desire to go back. At all. Ever. I didn't even have a bad childhood or anything, and I have a very functional, caring family..... I still have bouts of intense anger to this day over the most absurd stuff stemming from when I was younger and I can't get rid of it....
i dont think my childhood was bad until after one event, my life has been a domino chain of bad events. but despite this, ive pretty much always hated those good times i had. i realize now, that the most likely reason is envy. because i know it was much better than now, and i cant figure how to make it like that again, so i hate it. i dont anymore. im trying to learn from it instead.

my memories start from around age 3. its mostly tied to the emotions of fascination, until age 8, after which the theme of my emotions changed to melancholy and an immense, unknown pain.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Does it count if I can't remember what I had for breakfast? Cause that happens all the damn time.

Reactions: treschanna
1 - 7 of 7 Posts