Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few years ago I went through a pretty rough patch. Since then, all I ever do is work and sleep and only occasionally meet up with friends to drink a few beers and play pool, etc.
I don't talk to anyone but my girlfriend unless it's about making plans for the weekend. I don't feel excitement even remotely easily and I pretty much feel nothing but apathy for anything ever. I know what depression and anxiety is and what I'm going through is neither of those things. I used to have both but over the past year and a half I have finally gotten away from it, however I still isolate myself from everything and relate to almost no one.
I literally just work and sleep and slowly but steadily pursue my goals. I don't know exactly how to explain what it is I'm feeling. I know who I am now is not the best me that I can be, like I've lost something valuable that made me a lot more excited about life and I can't figure out what that is. I'm financially well off for my age and I'm progressing faster than any of my peers without any struggles yet I feel like i'm just riding a wave through time and not really actually experiencing life or enjoying it.

Does anyone else relate or has possibly experienced this? If I'm even explaining this properly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about. It feels kinda like your just drifting along, nothing awesome happening, but nothing horrible either. I recommend Se rehab. Find a project you can get into; It has to start out slow enough, but slowly start building in intensity over a few days or week. Then hit the project climax and ride the high all the way to the next project.

Example:

spend a week backpacking. Make day 5 of 7a mountain summit. Bring friends to make plenty of inside jokes with and bring terrible trail food you didn't know was terrible. It'll be good times.

Reactions: Lady Isla

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I think I know what you mean. You just have to do something or you'll stay like that forever. Find a hobby or a project. It's hard because you will be apathetic to start with. Try to find something with short term rewards and a long term goal.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Gotta have new experiences, new friends, new faces, new places.

We're drifters, man. Gypsies, if you like that better.

Sounds like time for a move. Maybe a different part of town, maybe a new city, a new country if you have the guts to do it.

Reactions: Lady Isla

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I find that I need a long term goal that I can pursue on the side as to not get lost. The goal may be broad at first but should appeal to either/both a concrete Se product and have an aspirational Fe impact, e.g. write a book or produce a work of art. Pursing these ends will make you stronger and ultimately well-rounded.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I been there. For a number of years. The SE rehab isn't enough to do it. It might work if it was a smaller problem but you know why you're doing it and it isn't because you love it, it's because your trying to fabricate something that isn't there. Won't work. At least, it never worked for me. I ended up moving across the country. It worked like a charm. That was four years ago. Everything was new. New work, new friends, new environment. It's just about time for another move for me. I'm stuck, don't know what to do. The Se thing works for my smaller problems, not problems like this. Drifters, gypsies. That's just how it is. I'm thinking a career change this time, don't want to displace my family.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I can definitely relate to this.

I was going to "cure" it by moving to a different city/state. I had already planned on doing that once I get my college degree. Problem is now that I'll have to wait until after I get my degree like I planned originally. My family moved to a city I have zero interest in moving to (let along visit) and hold on to a vague hope that I'll come with them.

Need more money to get the hobbies I'm interested in. I'm financially strapped and stretched to my limits as it is. I've had offers to get paid more to do the exact same crap I do but the reason why I tolerate my current job is because the place is so chill, though I know - and my boss knows that I'm capable of much, much more if I applied myself. So I won't get a "better" job - they require much more smaller sacrifices that I'm unwilling to make.

Other problem is my skills. I have selling and communication skills but I want nothing to do with either of those. Dven though I work at places that don't have an emphasis on that, because I have those skills I'll get placed in a position where those skills are "put to use". I just want a job where I can be secluded, work alone, maybe work outside and be in a warmer climate - but come away from it feeling like genius. I don't know, the best analogy I can give is that Tom Brady has a great arm, but that doesn't mean he wants to take up boxing.

I *DO* have chances to go other places, however the issue is that there will be a lot of small sacrifices, and the jobs aren't "jobs" but careers paying in a slightly higher tax bracket. I don't want to get locked into a place for 3-5 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts