Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you can learn how to fight for your own physical protection, but what about your psychological side ?

How do you find/recognise your weaknesses? How do you strengthen them?
How do you recognise evil attempts ?

should you like, just go outside in the wild, get hurt and learn from your mistakes ? Or is there something preventive you could do in order to avoid getting hurt ?

This is a really terrible idea, but just wondering, maybe hurting others or only finding their weaknesses can give you insights in your own ? Is this morally acceptable, what do you think ?

I know, alot of questions ...
Can't wait to read answers ;)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I'm not quite sure what a few of your questions mean.

What do you mean by recognising evil attempts?

What do you mean by 'go out into the wild?' I ask you to elaborate, as I am puzzled.

But about your idea.

Not only is that idea morally wrong (At least in my mind). But it wouldn't help at all. Finding the flaws in others or looking for them, takes the attention off of you.

This could give you delusions of grandeur or perfection. Believing that you have no weaknesses while everyone around you does.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by recognising evil attempts?
basically, find out if people have good or bad intentions.

What do you mean by 'go out into the wild?
In contrast to staying in a safe envirionment, where you don't meet new people for example and be completely defensive/staying closed to anything new, avoiding risks.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Basically, find out if people have good or bad intentions.
I tend to avoid people altogether, so I'm unable to answer this.

In contrast to staying in a safe envirionment, where you don't meet new people for example and be completely defensive/staying closed to anything new, avoiding risks.
Unfortunately, learning from experience is the most efficient way... But it is dangerous. If a person leaves their comfort zone and is burned particularly bad as a result, they might withdraw even further. Becoming even weaker.
But if they are successful, they will become stronger.
I can't think of any other way that would be as effective as taking action.

My thoughts are a general mess. My rambling above might make no sense.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd rather say that success gives a taste for more, while getting burned badly doesn't.

Weaker or stronger in a sense of self-confidence I suppose.

I think you're right, we're live and sooner or later we'll end up in a fight, so it's better to know how to fight and so does one only learn by trial and error. Experience is crucial, whether positive or negative.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Well, you can learn how to fight for your own physical protection, but what about your psychological side ?

should you like, just go outside in the wild, get hurt and learn from your mistakes ? Or is there something preventive you could do in order to avoid getting hurt ?

This is a really terrible idea, but just wondering, maybe hurting others or only finding their weaknesses can give you insights in your own ? Is this morally acceptable, what do you think ?

A little bit of both....it's better to learn from other people's mistakes but you still have to do a fair amount of your own. I think it is important to always fortify yourself and maintain yourself strong and healthy all the time much like the daily maintenance we do each day (brush teeth, eat your three meals, take your vitamins etc.) I have found that over time many of the hurts I have encountered have made me stronger but that is only because I consciously made a lot of effort towards healing properly. Much like how a doctor has to set your bone straight before putting it in a caste because if you don't you will always be hobbling with a limp that can cause other health issues (back/joint pain, leaving a gap for arthritis or gout to set in etc). It's just as important to fill your day to day life with psychological nutrition such as prayer (or other forms of gratitude), daily affirmations (giving and receiving), putting yourself in contact with positive and healthy people (even if it may just be in the virtual sense) This is why artistic expression is so important to put in our "daily diet" as well because bread only provides food for the body but art provides food for the soul :happy:

As far as evil is concerned....we could do without it. Life is a challenge in and of itself as it provides so many unpredictable problems for us to solve. It's like this "game" we played in the training session we had with our organizational mentor the other day. We had a choice between cooperating with the other team or not. There were no scenarios given just the choice and of course there were more points awarded to those who did not cooperate. At certain points of the "game" there were extra points given as an incentive not to cooperate. By the end of the game when we tallied up all the points our instructor was eager to point out that even though one of the teams had "won" as they ended up with the most points....had we cooperated the whole time or at least even midway we would all have ended up with the maximum amount of points possible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That in turn reminds me of these three frogs that are sitting on a floating trunk. Two frogs have a different viewpoint about something and they start arguing pretty heavily. They notice that the third frog has been silent for a while and wonder if maybe he's got the right answer. He says they are both right. The two frogs look at each other, and decide to push him into the water.

·
Registered
215 Posts

I think it is a bit of trial and error. After a while you know what works and you know what doesn't...
what your boundaries are...

As for " just [going] outside in the wild" ... I think that it is unwise to just fling yourself "into the wild" without some knowledge of what you will get yourself into.

Successful "fighters" (eg. martial artists) condition themselves and do not necessarily fight because they can. eg. Bruce Lee etc etc.

Many are taught to only fight if being attacked, BUT in saying that ( in my opinion ) self-defence on a physical level is about disarming before it becomes a situation.
eg. I am a martial artist myself and on a physical level I know I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable walking into a dark alley alone... So I wouldn't.
...and that would be my first step to self defence.

I don't see how me walking into a dark alley and knowing that I could hurt others and doing so because I felt uncomfortable would be self defence.

In my opinion psychological self defence is just knowing yourself, your values and your limits and then absorbing the events and situations around you and judging from that.

Hmmmm... interesting. I am not sure if what I said makes sense but oh well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see how me walking into a dark alley and knowing that I could hurt others and doing so because I felt uncomfortable would be self defence.
Well, "the best defense is the attack".

I agree, ideally you are aware of the situation and manage to avoid the fight, but that's not always an option.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, "the best defense is the attack".

I agree, ideally you are aware of the situation and manage to avoid the fight, but that's not always an option.
Mmm agreed, sometimes situations unravel in a way, which doesn't allow you to avoid...

Maybe it is your gut... [I still stand by my original idea on this topic... but I like to ponder and think of other possibilities etc.]

In most cases, if I feel unsure about something, my gut feeling (educated guess, woman's intuition hahaha etc etc.) is usually quite accurate.

Maybe it's a case of yes go out "in the wild, get hurt and learn" but if your gut is telling you that you are in too deep then maybe that is what then prevents you to some extent from being hurt...

So when a situation occurs (where you don't know your strengths and weaknesses and past the opportunity to disarm), maybe it is a case that yes you don't know... but your gut will have an answer...
so get out there and whether right or wrong you will learn from it.

hmmmmm.... I am not sure if that made sense.
:confused:

·
Registered
754 Posts

Just a thought: Why should i want to strengthen my weaknesses?

I'd rather weaken them, then for sure i'd overcome them!:wink:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe it's a case of yes go out "in the wild, get hurt and learn" but if your gut is telling you that you are in too deep then maybe that is what then prevents you to some extent from being hurt...

Trusting and understanding my guts is difficult.
I mostly rely on logical and tangible proof.

I should pay attention to my intuition, but somehow I tend to ignore it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Trusting and understanding my guts is difficult.
I mostly rely on logical and tangible proof.

I should pay attention to my intuition, but somehow I tend to ignore it.
Oh I fully understand what you mean...

(well that kinda fails then cos) I kind of rely on my gut feeling and then I try rationalise my intuition (just to double check) and *poof*... it works out. I have no idea how sometimes... :confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts