Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I think all INTPs even if they have not studied psychology are psychologically aware and this may apply to all NPs.

Any comments? This may apply to children and adolescent NPs as well.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I agree that we are somewhat psychologically aware. But even the best intuition have flaws. Everything is viewed from your own perception so if you want people to react a certain way they will react that certain way in your head.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Intuition varies with me to where I am. It depends on the environment. Perception depends on stress level. High stress and I miss things. Thinking varies according to my stress level.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wish I could say I were that aware of people around me. When someone is interacting with me, I tend to overthink their body language and put too much meaning to every move they make or tone of voice; however I can see peoples' shadows exceptionally easily. It's not difficult for me to tell when someone is unhappy, faking emotion or the way they feel and what's going through their head- As long as I can observe them for a little while in an environment where they're comfortable. The bad thing is that I'm extremely trusting of the people around me.

I know I'm trusting to a fault.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
INTJs also...I have always been psychologically aware. I never thought I was good at ANYTHING in school until I took Psychology. Most of it comes so easy for me, and it intrigues me like no other. It seems like common sense. Yes there is research involved, but once I look into what I'm researching everything always makes sense.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you mean psychologically aware about how other people think, then yes, but I need to know them at least moderately well. I can tell exactly the way people I've known well for a longer time think. Sometimes, when I experience something, my thoughts go "Person X would definitely do/say/think Y about that..." Sometimes I do it for multiple people at once.

It tends to annoy people when I reveal to them my view of their views of situations. But I find I'm very rarely wrong.

Some people are easier to figure out than others, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seem to have been very aware and in control of my emotions. I am very slow to act on them because i am almost always analyzing what i am thinking. The only emotions i have trouble controlling are happiness. Also i am trying to lower my egos which i find is very hard for me. I think many intps, because they analyze so much eventually study themselves, and that gives them some insight.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you mean psychologically aware about how other people think, then yes, but I need to know them at least moderately well. I can tell exactly the way people I've known well for a longer time think. Sometimes, when I experience something, my thoughts go "Person X would definitely do/say/think Y about that..." Sometimes I do it for multiple people at once.

It tends to annoy people when I reveal to them my view of their views of situations. But I find I'm very rarely wrong.

Some people are easier to figure out than others, though.
Know the feeling :wink:

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am an INTP and I was very sociologically unaware for most of my life, and this means that I was psychologically unaware of many other different character types as I just avoided them, cause my iNtuition was good and I could.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've always been pretty aware of certain things,
other things have needed more dedication,
I think everyone's got their psychological field .. or bursts.. of insight?

·
Registered
216 Posts
u know the thing where they say adults dumb down where-as kids are in that 'growth phase burst''...

i had the chance to observe this process recently as i entered a job,

and came to the conclusion that it is really false,...

as adults actually take on 'processing' related to the political environment of place.

i decided to keep light... as i have beeen optimizing for so long it does not make sense to 'vulentarily' take-on a "dumbing down"

(only one example of how we INTPs can deregulate life maze by our mass of caluculation)
--afterall we are only rats, an sometimes rats in our own experiment--

Reactions: Perseus

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
u know the thing where they say adults dumb down where-as kids are in that 'growth phase burst''...

i had the chance to observe this process recently as i entered a job,

and came to the conclusion that it is really false,...

as adults actually take on 'processing' related to the political environment of place.

i decided to keep light... as i have beeen optimizing for so long it does not make sense to 'vulentarily' take-on a "dumbing down"

(only one example of how we INTPs can deregulate life maze by our mass of caluculation)
--afterall we are only rats, an sometimes rats in our own experiment--
I call it dumbing down. I think the social people reckon is adapting to the demands of the job. It is hard work, but when I do writing I treat it as a skill to appeal to several different types of readers simultaneously.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wish I could say I were that aware of people around me. When someone is interacting with me, I tend to overthink their body language and put too much meaning to every move they make or tone of voice; however I can see peoples' shadows exceptionally easily. It's not difficult for me to tell when someone is unhappy, faking emotion or the way they feel and what's going through their head- As long as I can observe them for a little while in an environment where they're comfortable. The bad thing is that I'm extremely trusting of the people around me.

I know I'm trusting to a fault.
This is very like me - and it seems really odd to be so good at reading certain things but at the same time be so trusting. Why do you think that is?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some people are prudes, others are fools.

I wonder what prudent really means?

prudent | prud()nt | a. LME. [(O)Fr., or L prudent- contr. of provident- PROVIDENT.] 1 Characterized by or proceeding from care in following the most politic and profitable course; having or showing sound judgement in practical affairs; circumspect, sensible. LME. 2 Wise, discerning, sapient. obs. exc. as passing into sense 1. LME.
A. F. DOUGLAS-HOME A diplomatic actwas prudent and timely. M. SEYMOUR A prudent woman would have decided to stay at themanageable house.
prudently adv.
LME. prudentness n. (long rare or obs.) E18.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is very like me - and it seems really odd to be so good at reading certain things but at the same time be so trusting. Why do you think that is?
I can't say I know why this would be with you but I know exactly why for me.
I try to see the good in everyone- Even the potential for good. I see potential in every human being and, in order for them to be able to really implement that potential, they should be able to trust people. People can't trust you if you don't trust them. So, I'd rather be more trusting of people than paranoid. Even if I happen to be trusting to a fault.

If I get screwed over hard by them once, I'm done with them though.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
How accurate are the type descriptions?

Very accurate for the extreme types. Not accurate if the
behaviour is masked, or for the average types of people, the well rounded ones. Alas, the ability for personal growth and changing your personality actually seems rather limited.

With extreme types it is possible to forecast their behaviour. However, the text for MTBI is usually written down by a INTJ (my theory) and INTJs do not understand INTPs so they get the descriptions of behaviour right, but the the reasons are all wrong: they are the INTJ reasons as they cannot get outside themselves to realise that INTPs do not see the same thing, and INTJs always think they are right and others are wrong!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree Perseus.
the bane is probably that we can't put those perspectives to paper.

for i feel there views are non-normative,

·
Read Only
2,446 Posts
MBTI is more about behavior.

The enneagram is about reasons and motives.

I have read how others of my type say that their job, wealth, possessions "reflect on them" as people. Like they derive their self-worth from these things. This is totally alien to me. What happens if your car breaks down... do you break down?

Now, put us in the same situation that requires action, or a problem solved, and we may do very much the same thing.

Anytime a pattern emerges in the behavior, or motives, or dressing styles (and on and on) of people we can take the stereotype of that pattern, stick a label to it and call it good. People will see it and think "wow... that is soooo true." Some people, for whatever reason will even think "This is me." The only label that can be used to describe me that, that will not be woefully inadequate and incomplete is "Me." (Which is great cause I only have to keep up with two letters.)

Pattern recognition just isnt that fascinating to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts