Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some types that would likely be psychologists? I've found that psychologists are usually introverted and iNtuitive. So most psychologists that I've encountered are INFJ, INFP, INTP, and INTJ. However, some extraverts can make good psychologists as well, like ENFP's, ENTP's, ENTJ's, and ENFJ's. I've even encountered some ISFP psychologists. I think that SJ's would make really lousy psychologists though, and the ISTP and ESTP would be pretty lousy as well in my opinion? Thoughts?

Reactions: Turututu

·
Registered
22 Posts
You mean like counselors/therapists, right?

I think xNFJ is the best suited for this. Fe for relating, Ni for understanding the patterns in a person's life. I'm sure there are great therapists of every type, but I think xNFJ has a bit of a natural knack for it.

Besides, isn't INFJ known as "The Counselor"? :tongue:

NatetheGreat said:
I think that SJ's would make really lousy psychologists though, and the ISTP and ESTP would be pretty lousy as well in my opinion?
To be fair, I'm pretty sure you think that SJs are lousy at everything.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Mine right now is an ESFJ (self-typed... she has a passing interest in MBTI and Enneagram) and she's pretty good. I like her.

I think my last one from a couple years ago might have been ENFP.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Maybe an ISFJ or an ESFJ could make a good psychologist. But in my family of SJs, a lot of them think counseling is nonsense. You'll still have your problems to deal with once you come out of a counseling session. So I'm not sure if I see SJs going into the counseling fields.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Most people at my math/sci/tech magnet school are NTPs and interested in psychology. It's probably not the same as what you're talking about, though. :mellow:

·
Banned
349 Posts
What are some types that would likely be psychologists? I've found that psychologists are usually introverted and iNtuitive. So most psychologists that I've encountered are INFJ, INFP, INTP, and INTJ. However, some extraverts can make good psychologists as well, like ENFP's, ENTP's, ENTJ's, and ENFJ's. I've even encountered some ISFP psychologists. I think that SJ's would make really lousy psychologists though, and the ISTP and ESTP would be pretty lousy as well in my opinion? Thoughts?
I'm not sure about ENTJ's... unless you want a frontal lobotomy or electroshock as the cure.
At least as psychologists and not psychiatrists, the could only recommend it, not applying.
:tongue:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I want to be a psychologist, I'm an INFP.
My friend also wants to be a psychologist and she's an ISFP.
Another friend of mine who wants to be a psychologist is an INFJ.

I think my psychology teacher is an ENTP, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I had a psychiatrist who was an INFP I believe. She understood me pretty well. Now I question if she was an INFP though because she always knew the right questions to ask me.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Dude, ENTPs would be good at it, but for the wrong reasons. I wouldn't look at it to benefit the person, but to feed my own curiosity as to how the mind works.
Indeed. XD An ENTP could be a genius counselor as long as they remember the human element...Like, not treating their patients like lab rats.

I think NF's and NT's would be the best suited in general.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think I would be a crappy psychologist because I genuinly don't care about what people want to share (except if I ask them), I guess this goes for STP's?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
The first psychologist I saw was an ESTJ, the second an ENTP. Communication was much easier with the ENTP. I mean, I could get my feelings across to the ESTJ but there was always this feeling like I didn't feel he knew really where I was coming from. That may have been my 100% iNtuitive score kicking in. Sensors in general have always been iffy interaction for me, where we'll be talking about something but see the issue from two completely different spectrums. The ENTP felt like he could finish 3/4 of my sentences and really knew where I was coming from and going with our sessions. In a sense, our interaction felt more personal besides the fact that both psychologists were being told my personal feelings. Like, the ENTP flat out told me what interested him in becoming a Psychologist. He said he likes to understand everything around him, people specifically. So being a psychologist for him felt like a platform to enhance his comprehension of the human species, which I admired about him and therefore respected him more. I felt like I improved much more around him than the ESTJ I saw. I suppose this plays out on my communication style being a key aspect in how much I was willing to get out the sessions. I suppose someone who is less intuitive, perhaps more balanced in their sensing and intuition, could relate better to a sensor. Not me, though. I communicate in figurative, elaborate long-stringed metaphoric language which most people may find hard to respond to. That may have been the key difference in my success with the two very different psychologists I saw.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm an ISFJ intending to study psychology....

Why do you think that about SJs?
SJ's are usually very closed minded and you have to be extremely open minded to be psychologist. I would detest an SJ psychologist.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My wife is becoming a psychologiest, and she's ESFJ. It seems like a good mix. SJ being closed-minded is a stereotype. They just retain what they learn, and that is good to have in this field, along with the Fe. (She did have to cram a lot of Te, which was difficult).

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I'm ENFP, I've been told over and over I'm a natural psychologist. I am even told by my own therapists that I would make an awesome counselor and they encourage me to shift my focus.

I teach one on one all day long, and basically already provide therapy. I think I am strong in this area because of my focus on the individual. Plus I am very good at recognizing where a person is coming from. I have to do that as quickly as possibly so I can relate to the person and help them or guide them.

I don't if it's because of my own years of therapy, or if it's because I was guided through empathy, or if it's because of my Ne/Fi. But I enjoy giving individuals a different perspective so that they are more functional and help themselves move forward.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts