Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Psychologists have discovered that while reading a book or story, people are prone to subconsciously adopt their behavior, thoughts, beliefs and internal responses to that of fictional characters as if they were their own.
Psychologists Discover How People Subconsciously Become Their Favorite Fictional Characters - Medical Daily

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I was just curious as to thoughts, how true this is for people and if they are conscious of it, and I was mostly interested in whether this would affect certain types more than others? Sounds like something INTPs would be more prone to do, considering the whole chameleon thing that seems to be going on. It's something I've also been aware of for a long time and just attributed it to being INTP.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I do this consciously all the time.

Contrasting ENTP/INTP, I'd suspect ENTP is more aware of it, since Fe is tertiary rather than inferior.

Reactions: cue5c

·
Registered
374 Posts
Very intresting I can relate so much when I think about it.
I have had a Jack Sparrow period,
now I have Tyrion/Tywin/Jamie lannister period, as I can relate to all of them.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
their favorite fictional character wouldn't be their favorite if they didn't admire or appreciate certain of that character's traits. it's not unusual to aspire towards, or attempt to emulate, what we admire. also, spending significant amounts of time in the company of a friend often leads to adopting some of their traits or values, and reading about/watching this character (without feelings of dislike or repulsion) often allows them to "rub off on" you. so this study is not surprising in the least xD

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I was just curious as to thoughts, how true this is for people and if they are conscious of it, and I was mostly interested in whether this would affect certain types more than others? Sounds like something INTPs would be more prone to do, considering the whole chameleon thing that seems to be going on. It's something I've also been aware of for a long time and just attributed it to being INTP.
Funny, 'cause I'm an INTP and I don't do the chameleon thing in social situations at all. But then again, I think I'm a pretty unusual INTP. However, I can usually immerse myself in a story completely and feel emotional about the characters. Sometimes I throw books if the author is cruel to someone I like :D

I have had a Jack Sparrow period,
now I have Tyrion/Tywin/Jamie lannister period, as I can relate to all of them.
House Lannister FTW! (IMO: Tywin - ENTJ, Tyrion - ENTP, Jaime - ESTP ;))

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If it's a book I've thoroughly enjoyed and wasn't able to put down, I walk around quite a while afterwards feeling like a completely different person. I wouldn't say I become the character of the book, I mainly become someone who could have fit in and been in that book as well while still being me. It ends as soon as I interact with other people or am aware of myself "as I am" again. It's a conscious process though, one I don't mind at all.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sometimes I find myself doing that, sometimes I don't.

I can safely say when I was on a Les Miserables kick, I tried my best to be as selfless as Jean Valjean. His kindness appeals to me and still does. However, I am also a huge fan of Hubert from Tales of Graces...fussy nervous tendencies and all, but there is no way in hell I could act that way outwardly even if I wanted to lol. I'm just way too silly and cannot take myself seriously half the time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hmm, Mackie Messer is one of my favorite fictional characters...

Lame attempts at humor aside, I never really noticed this about myself. Maybe this is because I don't tend to have one favorite anything. I like several different fictional characters for many different reasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am recently obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera, and I strongly identify with the phantom, a neglected child who has been living in the dungeon for years.

His face is marred so badly that he is considered a freak. I also feel in that way, because of all the pimples on my face.

I am not sure if it's experience-taking, or perspective-taking, because I am not aware of any changes the character has brought to me.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Interesting findings, although they did point out that the effect was short term. I do wonder, however, if someone was aware of this fact, and enjoyed the short term effects, if they would find it easier to purposely add in the changes than if they were simply trying to do it on their own. Perhaps pointed reading of stories to help people overcome obstacles/enhance personal growth?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I also thought this was just an INTP thing. or just a thing i did, With me it is more concious thou, I see characteristics in other people that i admire and that i see as traits that would be an avantage to have. I pick apart the trait the person has, while wishing to be similar. and try to emulate it

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
I also thought this was just an INTP thing. or just a thing i did, With me it is more concious thou, I see characteristics in other people that i admire and that i see as traits that would be an avantage to have. I pick apart the trait the person has, while wishing to be similar. and try to emulate it
I do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I've also noticed this effect with certain songs. I think that it's just a case of something bringing an idea to our head and since we enjoyed whatever it was we give more attention to the thoughts than if we were just growing on our own.

His face is marred so badly that he is considered a freak. I also feel in that way, because of all the pimples on my face.
Do you drink soda? If you drink soda: Don't drink soda.

Also, and this is a little effeminate so if you're one of those people who questions their manhood over every little thing you should probably avoid it, but those little spinny things that they sell in grocery stores in the hygiene section and are almost always purple (aka exfoliators) do wonders. One of the most beautiful people I know has bad acne and she doesn't let it bring her down. How you carry yourself really changes the way people view you, although you can never know exactly what they think so stop worrying about them. Alright, I'm turning my Mother Mode off now. :laughing:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I do this, too. I often read old-fashioned romance books. It's great because I adopt a lot of the language (which I think is very clear, affectionate, polite. English is also not my first language so I am very fascinated by it) and also makes me feel like I can fight through anything with my 'beau'. It's like once I am sucked into that world, I carry a bit of it with me all day long, like some sort of jet lag. I feel sorry for anyone reading a modern romance book... can it really be titled that now, with all the divorce and playing, or chasing and grovelling? Then again, I hope no one is going around slapping women and ordering them to make a sandwich.

Reactions: FreeSpirit
1 - 20 of 33 Posts