Personality Cafe banner

Psychology, French or German as a minor in college?

[INFJ] 
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Duke 
I have an affinity for languages. English is my native tongue, but I speak fluent Modern Standard Arabic. Additionally, I picked up a bit of Chinese when I was in that country, and studied a bit after returning home (though that was many years ago and it has all been replaced by Arabic). I took two semester of French in college, enjoyed it, and did quite well (though it, too, has been lost to time, though I can still read a bit). I find that the study of languages fulfills both my desire for art (through understanding the poetry and imagery of the language), as well as my love of systems and understanding how they work. I also I think that a language would compliment your major very well, opening you up to literary works that are not in your native tongue

My first major was psychology, but I found that it was not quite my cup of tea. I do, however, think, that this would be a great major for an INFJ, given our affinity for people and innate intuitive understanding of their emotions and behaviors. I find the mind and the study of behavior quite fascinating. It would fit very well with our role as counselors.

Personally, I would choose French. Then again, English has its roots in the Germanic languages. I can only tell you what I would do, given your choices, so it is probably not a great help. I suppose it largely depends on what you plan to do with your major. If psychology is your passion, that might be the way to go.

I am not sure. I think it was too precise, maybe. I have never been terribly drawn to the various sciences. I have always been more attracted literature and writing, and languages. I had no real passion for it, and chose it as a random starting part for my foray into university. Also, at that point in my life, it required far more effort than I was willing to dedicate. I think that I would find it far more interesting at this stage in my life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.