Personality Cafe banner

Psychology, French or German as a minor in college?

[INFJ] 
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Duke 
I majored in linguistics and took french (but linguistics is not about learning other languages, it's the study of language in general...so many people ask how many languages I speak when I tell them my major...grrr). French was fun but as an undergrad degree there aren't really many practical applications except perhaps international business but now they recommend chinese for that.
I minored in psychology after much debate...like linguistics, it's often misunderstood as a field of study. I thorougly enjoyed it, and perhaps because I was at a research institution it focused heavily on the science of it. I started out in astronomy and learned so much more about the scientific method and it's application through my research methods/psychology classes than I ever did through physics, computer programming and calculus. There's so much more to psychology than counseling and it's not just about helping people (though that's always nice). I really took to cognitive and social psychology (studying why "normal" people do the things they do) and highly recommend it as it can open a lot of doors you never knew existed...it did for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.