Personality Cafe banner

Psychology, French or German as a minor in college?

[INFJ] 
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Duke 
I'm reading a double major in English Literature and Philosophy in college right now, and while the latter can be a tad complex at times, I'd say they complement each other seamlessly because of how concepts in Philosophy find vast applications in Literature.

I contemplated reading a double major in English Literature and Psychology at the start of my college sojourn, but as someone mentioned earlier, the latter has a greater attention to scientific rigour than you might expect (especially since you remarked that it ties in with the emotional aspects of Literature). To be honest (and I speak from experience, perhaps), the psychology present in English Literature (i.e. psychoanalysis, cognitive dissonance, ego-dystonia) can be largely extrapolated from a discipline such as Philosophy because it is very much concerned with the bases of choice and ethics.

I understand that my college requires anyone dabbling further than the introductory module in Psychology to read two compulsory modules in Statistical Research and Analysis before progressing further. Remember also that aside from social psychology and personality (which might be useful in literature), there are other facets of Psychology - more intense in scientific content, such as biopsychology or cognitive psychology - which you might find a little daunting, if not jarring. I was a pure science student in high school, and I'd say that my perception of Psychology has been altered tremendously since I read the intro module. It's really more science than a social science. =]

That said, give it a shot if you're really keen on the latter combination! If grades weren't that much of a consideration, I know I might be reading English Literature and Psychology now. It has a really perceptive ring to it. =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.