Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The greater the empathy skills of children, the easier it is for them to recognize sarcasm, according to a new study.

More...

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,418 Posts
The greater the empathy skills of children, the easier it is for them to recognize sarcasm, according to a new study.

...and they measured empathy skills by testing how often and quickly they recognize sarcasm, then of course you get this conclusion. What a weird study. It's flawed. The use of the term empathy by linking it with sarcasm is so wrong, so wrong.

·
empty calories
992 Posts

...and they measured empathy skills by testing how often and quickly they recognize sarcasm, then of course you get this conclusion. What a weird study. It's flawed. The use of the term empathy by linking it with sarcasm is so wrong, so wrong.
you read it wrong. please try again xD

·
empty calories
992 Posts
Then I don't understand English. So no thanks.
bah, i'll do it. for a fellow idealits.
they tested sarcasm and empathy separately and found a link. that is all. doesnt seem very flawed to me. however, the conclusions might be wrong. they only found a link, not a causal relationship. perhaps children with high scores on empathy and sarcasm detection are simply more socially developed, or something like that. science bruh

·
Registered
77 Posts

More...
The original paper reads a bit more like "EQ-C scores correlated well with social understanding" which in itself is interesting, but the spin the researchers have put on it is a bit odd. If the correlation hadn't have been found I'd have been much more concerned about how the "Empathy" was measured not how the "sarcasm" was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts