Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attentiveness in kindergarten accurately predicts the development of "work-oriented" skills in school children, according to a new study.

More...

·
Spam-I-am
13,638 Posts
Attentiveness in kindergarten accurately predicts the development of "work-oriented" skills in school children, according to a new study.

More...
dog needs to change his name for October
rabid canine
cujo
hound from hell
hell hound
kittens are tasty as fuck
frothing foamy feline eater
all quality names

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Knowing kindergarten teachers, I can say that this is true.

But, from what I've been told, often it relates to the children not having experience in controlling their impulses when they come into school. Teachers can often find methods to pull the child's attention into focus, that's really part of their job, especially at that age. And parents usually are needed to assist in this.

Then, imo, you have to admit that it is a natural challenge. These are 5 and 6 year olds. Sitting for long periods of time is not natural to them(not really any of us, atrophy begins after one hour). So it is a balance to be struck.

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts
But, from what I've been told, often it relates to the children not having experience in controlling their impulses when they come into school. Teachers can often find methods to pull the child's attention into focus, that's really part of their job, especially at that age. And parents usually are needed to assist in this.

Then, imo, you have to admit that it is a natural challenge. These are 5 and 6 year olds. Sitting for long periods of time is not natural to them(not really any of us, atrophy begins after one hour). So it is a balance to be struck.
Well, it is a parent's responsibility to prepare a child for kindergarten. That was the point of the article to begin with. :wink:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Well, it is a parent's responsibility to prepare a child for kindergarten. That was the point of the article to begin with. :wink:
Yes. It was my concern with the phrase "attention deficit" being thrown around we were going to label more kids with a disorder and push drugs at them. I've read 2-3 articles(I know at least one was in psychology today) where the research done shows over-diagnosis of ADHD in elementary children was very high. The article said on average 5%(8%tops) of children are truly ADHD. Yet the average diagnosis and prescription rate by late elementary school around 25% with many starting before age 7. And in one locality they found a 33% of elementary school kids were "being treated" for ADHD.

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts
Yes. It was my concern with the phrase "attention deficit" being thrown around we were going to label more kids with a disorder and push drugs at them. I've read 2-3 articles(I know at least one was in psychology today) where the research done shows over-diagnosis of ADHD in elementary children was very high. The article said on average 5%(8%tops) of children are truly ADHD. Yet the average diagnosis and prescription rate by late elementary school around 25% with many starting before age 7. And in one locality they found a 33% of elementary school kids were "being treated" for ADHD.
Oh, yes I absolutely agree that "rambunctious" is often immediately labeled as "hyperactive" or being a "distracted" kid is labeled as "attention deficit". I used to help my child's teacher in kindergarten and some children obviously were never given guidance from their parents on how to behave in class or how to play nice with other children. Such children were already at a disadvantage compared to their classmates and often times a child knowing they were behind from the very beginning, negatively affected the child's sociability, willingness to learn, cooperation, etc. Fortunately for some parents, if their child was rather intelligent and/or a fast learner, could catch up to the rest of the class over a few long weekends, but otherwise if a child couldn't catch up by the end of the semester, then such a child would often be "left behind" to the bottom half of the class.

Which is why I really can never stress such findings enough, especially to new parents. Your child's education does not start with kindergarten or even pre-school, so don't treat your child's mind as such. Much like how your child's education does not end with high school, or with university, even. I think if most parents knew as such, they would begin their child's education before they reach 5 or 6.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Knowing kindergarten teachers, I can say that this is true.

Have you heard of Steiner schools where kids learn through playing and only sit down for a little bit? Not the other way around.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Finland gets the best results because their kids don't go to school until they're 7 or 8, and by that time they actually want to learn.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Look at people from the middle and upper classes of 1900s etc, some of those kids didn't start school until 8 and a lot of them were quite intelligent.

I do think it's important for a child to get an education though, I was just mentioning those things.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Have you heard of Steiner schools where kids learn through playing and only sit down for a little bit? Not the other way around.
No, I've heard of the theory, but not the school. I'm not an educator either, just someone who knows a few, and have formed my own opinions from what I've heard and varying psych articles and books.

IMO, the playing is important, but should be in a phase out stage, as a means of schooling through the first couple of years. More pure academics has been expected at a younger age over the last few decades. Right or wrong that's where we are, and now a kid may get a complex if they fall too far behind in the early years, despite varying rates of development in those years.

I know most teachers I hear of try to make it fun at times, and set up educational games so that the young ones will enjoy learning and like school. But regardless there still has to be some effort put into focus. More for some than others. Often I think personality traits begin to show from an early age, so a different approach may be necessary to draw certain kids in. That being said, I've heard the ones who aren't really trying, once they are pulled into focus often show an amazing ability to not only catch up from appearing far behind in educational development, but actually excel at a high level. Go figure.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
No, I've heard of the theory, but not the school. I'm not an educator either, just someone who knows a few, and have formed my own opinions from what I've heard and varying psych articles and books.

IMO, the playing is important, but should be in a phase out stage, as a means of schooling through the first couple of years. More pure academics has been expected at a younger age over the last few decades. Right or wrong that's where we are, and now a kid may get a complex if they fall too far behind in the early years, despite varying rates of development in those years.

I know most teachers I hear of try to make it fun at times, and set up educational games so that the young ones will enjoy learning and like school. But regardless there still has to be some effort put into focus. More for some than others. Often I think personality traits begin to show from an early age, so a different approach may be necessary to draw certain kids in. That being said, I've heard the ones who aren't really trying, once they are pulled into focus often show an amazing ability to not only catch up from appearing far behind in educational development, but actually excel at a high level. Go figure.
Yes of course kids have to focus on academic stuff. I was more referring to early childhood like from 3-5.

Reactions: GusWriter
1 - 15 of 15 Posts