1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PSYCHOPATHIC Abuse Survivors by MBTI Type

Originally found on Reddit:

Text Font Line Number Parallel

My mother is a sociopath; I am an INFJ. For me this is truth.

I am not vouching for the validity of this chart. I am sharing it out of curiosity. Can other INFJs relate?

If you Google INFJ and sociopath/psychopath/narcissist abuse, you'll find that INFJ and these types of abuse correspond frequently.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
It'd be interesting to read the research that accompanied this graph. Almost 45% of alleged survivors are INFJs? I find that hard to believe.

On the other hand, I'm sorry that people have to go through such an ordeal. Must be terrible.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Psychopath, sociopath, manipulator, controller, abuser, monster, and devil are all words that are often used interchangeably to describe this inability to comprehend the darker capabilities of the human consciousness. -All- people are capable of such terrible and fucked up things, but that doesn't instantly make them a psychopath, just a shitty person.

1% of the population is believed to be psychopathic.
1-2% of the population are INFJ's.

Statistically, it's so unlikely that chart is remotely correct and it scares me if anyone takes it at face value. It says to me that people have likely been so heavily traumatized that they possess such a deep seeded resentment within them or are seeking any sort of coping mechanism to help them understand, that they'll use any means to justify what happened.

While I sympathize with anyone that has experienced trauma in their own lives, it's so overdone to hear "my ex is a psychopath" or my husband... father... mother... whatever. Scientifically, the word has lost its meaning because it's so bastardized.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I feel pretty skeptical of this...

I'm wondering how the information for this chart was gathered. Maybe a self-report survey? Do the abusers actually meet the psychological criteria to be labeled psychopaths? Because how psychopathy is defined psychologically is not necessarily the same as how the term is commonly used.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lad,

How sad that YOU are tired of hearing about it. My mother was diagnosed as a sociopath, a sadistic sociopath in fact. You can't imagine what it was like, what it is still like and the years of therapy it has taken to feel even remotely "normal". I am deeply offended by your condescending reply.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is my understanding that INFJs tend to be empathetic. People with sociopathy and NPD are inexplicably attracted to empathetic people. My theory is that these people have an infinite void inside of them that feeds off the inner vitality of a strong empathetic person. Like a black hole and a neutron star.

Edit: Just saying in general. I don't know how accurate the stats are.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Lad,

How sad that YOU are tired of hearing about it. My mother was diagnosed as a sociopath, a sadistic sociopath in fact. You can't imagine what it was like, what it is still like and the years of therapy it has taken to feel even remotely "normal". I am deeply offended by your condescending reply.
Basically, this is what you read in my entire post.

Psychopath, sociopath, manipulator, controller, abuser, monster, and devil are all words that are often used interchangeably to describe this inability to comprehend the darker capabilities of the human consciousness. -All- people are capable of such terrible and fucked up things, but that doesn't instantly make them a psychopath, just a shitty person.

1% of the population is believed to be psychopathic.
1-2% of the population are INFJ's.

Statistically, it's so unlikely that chart is remotely correct and it scares me if anyone takes it at face value. It says to me that people have likely been so heavily traumatized that they possess such a deep seeded resentment within them or are seeking any sort of coping mechanism to help them understand, that they'll use any means to justify what happened.

While I sympathize with anyone that has experienced trauma in their own lives,
it's so overdone to hear "my ex is a psychopath" or my husband... father... mother... whatever. Scientifically, the word has lost its meaning because it's so bastardized.

In that case, I do deeply apologize as it wasn't my intention to attack you personally - as you mentioned, I don't know squat about what you've gone through. I'm more-so discrediting the chart and the likelihood of how that information was obtained or defined for the people surveyed. If you feel it holds some validity, beyond your own experience, I'd be really curious why that is so.

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
http://personalitycafe.com/estp-forum-doers/403426-abusive-relationships.html

Some types more readily call things abuse. When I was 13 I was raped and beaten and was convinced I was going to die. That was a pretty straight forward example of a traumatic experience, but even then, saying I was victimized goes against the grain. This is after many years and going through therapy. It seems INFJ's readily call everything abuse. ESTP's seem to struggle to call anything abuse. It's not denial so much as a perspective of presuming failure on our part and thinking we need to wise up.

The chart is self-reporting. Many types are uncomfortable calling things abusive that other types would easily label abusive.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
PSYCHOPATHIC Abuse Survivors by MBTI Type

Originally found on Reddit:

View attachment 239810

My mother is a sociopath; I am an INFJ. For me this is truth.

I am not vouching for the validity of this chart. I am sharing it out of curiosity. Can other INFJs relate?

If you Google INFJ and sociopath/psychopath/narcissist abuse, you'll find that INFJ and these types of abuse correspond frequently.
I find it hard to believe the NTs have been manipulated by psychopaths more than ISFPs and ESFPs..

·
MOTM October 2013
6,526 Posts
Oi vey, it's murky territory to start discounting others' experiences of abuse as "they were just overreacting". And while I honestly believe this IS the case for some abuse cases...there are so many more that are marginalized by that rhetoric that it scares me.

I want to see how they came across the data for this, but if the study was sound, I'd be highly curious in why this would be so.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Assuming the graph is accurate, it's interesting that ENFP is the lowest of the intuitives and ESFP the lowest of the sensors. Wonder what it is about the Ne/Se combo coupled with Fi that makes that so. Perhaps they're the most likely types to detect and nail psychopaths before the psycho abuse ramps up? Maybe the abuse just rolls off of them, and they don't really even register it as abuse?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me, even if it were true. Most INFJs that I encounter have anxiety issues and moderately traumatic pasts. I think INFJs have a rather fine-tuned psychopathic-bullshit-detector, but...

it's interesting that ENFP is the lowest of the intuitives and ESFP the lowest of the sensors. Perhaps they're the most likely types to detect and nail psychopaths before the psycho abuse ramps up?
unfortunately that doesn't really factor in when you're a helpless, dependent <10 year old anticipating 5pm goofy time five days a week for the majority of your early childhood. If you kick a dog enough times, it'll eventually cower and piss on the floor whenever you look in its direction, because it knows what's going to happen. There's probably a reason why INFJs are so good at reading people like books.

My ESTP sister didn't cop any abuse. She was born over half a decade after me, and has no memory of even witnessing any of it. She doesn't even remember calling the police, which I think is pretty funny. XD

Reactions: StableSun35

·
Registered
612 Posts
What does that graph mean?

Is it...
- INFJ most likely to be abused?
- INFJ most likely to admit being abused?
- INFJ most likely to remember being abused?
- INFJ most likely to recognize being abused?
- INFJ most likely to call just about anything abuse?
- Abused people most likely to mistype as INFJ?
- Nothing, it is made up?
- Something else?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Though theory is interesting I doubt it. I myself had crappy father but I wouldn't really say he is sociopath. Though Im sorry you had to go through that with your mother :(

·
Registered
INTP
705 Posts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.