Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello reader.

I've been thinking lately about the split between people who willingly and/or subconsciously disclose their personal life, feelings, relationships, and dramatic situations disregarding the level of publicity, vs. the people who like to keep their personal, casual, and professional lives strictly trichotomized.

Hopefully, you can see how two people who take opposing stances in this situation can face serious conflicts between one another.

In attempts to solve any issues I might encounter with this, I'm trying to better understand why this occurs.

I'm pretty sure that cognitive functions/MBTI has a considerable impact on why people behave this way. Though I can't quite figure it out.

So far I have strong inclinations towards thinking that feelers vs thinkers create this dichotomy. But then I realized Fi users would be less comfortable disclosing their feelings. So can I safely conclude that it's xxFJs who are most likely to be caught doing this?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hello reader.

I've been thinking lately about the split between people who willingly and/or subconsciously disclose their personal life, feelings, relationships, and dramatic situations disregarding the level of publicity, vs. the people who like to keep their personal, casual, and professional lives strictly trichotomized.

Hopefully, you can see how two people who take opposing stances in this situation can face serious conflicts between one another.

In attempts to solve any issues I might encounter with this, I'm trying to better understand why this occurs.

I'm pretty sure that cognitive functions/MBTI has a considerable impact on why people behave this way. Though I can't quite figure it out.

So far I have strong inclinations towards thinking that feelers vs thinkers create this dichotomy. But then I realized Fi users would be less comfortable disclosing their feelings. So can I safely conclude that it's xxFJs who are most likely to be caught doing this?
I'm an ENFP, and I have a tough time and also I feel insecure to open up my Fi or anything which is personal to me. So, I think it depends on how the individual wants it to be.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Based on my experience with people in life including that on this forum alone, there isn't a single type where people don't disclose information about their personal lives.

I mean, just go and see the Venting / Ranting threads in each of the sections as a sample to see which types divulge what kind of information. And not just that, there's people sharing personal experiences and feelings everywhere regardless of their MBTI type.

So, if there is a difference, then in one year of studying JCF and observing people on PerC, I haven't picked up on it.

I would really venture to guess that this may be an Enneagram thing. I also have a feeling that this compartmentalization of feelings is a 3-ish tendency, so possibly a little projection here?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Based on my experience with people in life including that on this forum alone, there isn't a single type where people don't disclose information about their personal lives.

I mean, just go and see the Venting / Ranting threads in each of the sections as a sample to see which types divulge what kind of information. And not just that, there's people sharing personal experiences and feelings everywhere regardless of their MBTI type.

So, if there is a difference, then in one year of studying JCF and observing people on PerC, I haven't picked up on it.

I would really venture to guess that this may be an Enneagram thing. I also have a feeling that this compartmentalization of feelings is a 3-ish tendency, so possibly a little projection here?
Damn, my bad. I missed out the 'CF' part.:confused:

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You're right.

It would make more sense that the amount and type of information one discloses in different scenarios be dictated by fears/motivations rather than modes of thinking. I'll look into that.

I did briefly check out the venting subforum. There is no definite pattern. The way in which the different types express their frustrations differs, but the content is the same.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I use Fe (INFJ) and I've actually had to learn to close myself up quite a bit - it's fair to say that I'm a 'heart on sleeve' sort of person (which seems to annoy the hell out of my INTJ / ISTJ colleagues who are often telling me to shush my face).

Fe = the main cause of self disclosure, as far as I know.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Yea I agree with @Jawz on this one that it's going to be hard to find a definitive pattern because we'd really have to nail down with we really meant by disclosure and 'personal.' There are people who have no problem telling you their credit score in public but wont say who their going to vote for. Or people who will tell you about all of their last sexual encounters but not how much money they have in the bank. So motivation is really the key here (I think politicians have a hard time with this, especially Fi-ish ones who are often awkwardly forced to defend or represent some value they have that they may not outwardly convey).

But generally speaking, I think Extraverted Feeling types are probably more likely to want to open up because of the nature of objective evaluation. I think that's why Fe-types might get stereotyped as gossipers or busybodies (and many of them are even some INTPs) because it is through this communication that we not just check other people, but also know where we stand in relation to them. Because if the standard of evaluation is external then we need to always be aware of what those standards are and whether or not we are adhering to them, at least on some level. I think Introverted Feeling types are less interested in this as far as their own values and personal issues are concerned (but again we'd really have to be specific about what we mean when we say 'values.') That being said, there is difference between the 'want' to open up or disclose and actually doing it. I think as a Fe-type, I myself notice that other Fe-types often want to spill it to someone else, but choose not to because of decorum. So it's hard to say, for instance on a forum or just in life, whether or not a certain type will be more prone to disclose because we'd have to know their motivations for wanting to disclose and their motivations for not disclosing (or only disclosing so much). And unless someone comes out and says what they are we can't really know. There's a difference between someone who thinks its bad form to talk about their sex life, for example, versus someone who just doesn't think you should know about their sex life (and this may not have anything to do with Fe/Fi, but rather the persona, or upbringing or whatever).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts