Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people say they either hate public speaking, or they tolerate it. Me? I love it. I thrive when I have to give presentations. I don't get nervous at all. I find that the main problem most people have is that they try to memorize what they want to say, whereas I go over it in my head a few times the points I want to raise, a couple of really good powerful phrases, and then I'm ready.

I'd imagine other ENTPs (as well as ENTJ, ESTP and ESFP) to be the same way. I almost always get compliments about my presentation from colleagues after presenting.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Hell, yeah. I adore public speaking and volunteer to do so whenever possible. The more impromptu, the better!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I love public speaking. Especially on a topic that I know thoroughly. I can wing a speech any time. I especially like making toasts.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I enjoy it.

For my animal rehab class, I'm actually going to be giving educational tours of our facility, and doing classroom visits. I'm probably the only person in the class actually excited about it, and I'm one of two people that likes doing the display cages part, which doesn't have a presentation chart to tell you what to talk about.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I can do a speech at almost any time, and I love people's reactions.

Oh, that was fun in high school....ha ha ha

I'm always the one giving tips to my friends about speech-giving. to grad students giving lectures, to math introverts trying out a proposal, etc

No problemo para mi....

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love public speaking. I get creative with my speeches if I'm allowed to (or no one told me NOT to). I also throw humor in all the time because I like hearing the crowd chuckle and laugh.

In my accounting class (SJ land) I convinced my group to base our company on illegal marijuana growing. Our fictitious company was illegal and sold to major drug dealers around the world. During presentation time, we showed them the books: profit and loss, cost of goods sold, inventory turn over, overhead, bribes, etc. The class thought the presentation was funny as hell and I was doing everything possible not to burst out in laughter. Good times in an otherwise dry and boring class.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Hell, yeah. I adore public speaking and volunteer to do so whenever possible. The more impromptu, the better!
Ugh. So many times a day do I wonder whether I'll ever be able to publicly speak effectively let alone do an impromtu speech with ease. Maybe it's just my lack of experience, but I find it very difficult to come up with something compelling to say in front of a crowd on the spot. I don't know how you do it and not be worried about saying the wrong thing and keeping your words fluid. I get nervous and most times avoid giving the speech altogether. Ugh.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm an INTP but I love oral presentations when I'm prepared, I.E. note-cards, charts, graphs, power-points, robots...
As long as I know the material then I'm good to go. The problem most people make is that they put a shit load of information on the presentation slides, then spend the whole time looking at the screen instead of the crowd. I try to put the minimal amount of words on the screen, and use big lettering, so that the crowd sees the topic, but their still listening to me instead of reading.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Oh that made me remember of something.

For a little competition, 4 groups had to create a company and present it to the University's Psychology class (we were in High School). We created this graphical design company, iLapz (iPencilz in portuguese). I was pissed because my group wasn't taking it too seriously.

I really wanted to win, so I really wanted to do something serious and good.

So I start presenting.

"This is our company, iPencilz..."
*chuckles*
"Uh... and this is where we are going to set up our company, this small apartment in this convenient place which is... well... pretty convenient, I mean, look at the subways and bus stops..."
*More chuckles*
-I think 'oh well, I lost it anyway. Might as well have fun.'

Result... the class found the presentation hilarious!

But we got 2nd place (close call) because the other group gave chocolate (they were a chocolate company :frustrating:)

If we had given pencils to the crowd, we would have won. My whole group agreed.

What I got from that experience is that humor makes the class go around. Therefore, if you want your presentation to stand out... use humor and accessible language. And keep it interesting.

(For my Spanish class presentation about Zorro, I dressed up as Zorro and jumped into the class, threw a rose at the teacher (yeah...), had a fight with someone with swords (a piece of metal we... borrowed from one of the chairs), all the time while my other team mate was playing the background Zorro song.

Was hilarious. And was great.

Say funny, witty stuff (I mean, improvise, really. Sometimes planning is good, of course. My speech wasn't suppose to be funny, but it ended up being because I forgot a part of it (so I was speaking like "and Zorro's archenemy is................... Garibaldo!" My mistake seemed like some kind of suspense) T'was awesome).

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Ugh. So many times a day do I wonder whether I'll ever be able to publicly speak effectively let alone do an impromtu speech with ease. Maybe it's just my lack of experience, but I find it very difficult to come up with something compelling to say in front of a crowd on the spot. I don't know how you do it and not be worried about saying the wrong thing and keeping your words fluid. I get nervous and most times avoid giving the speech altogether. Ugh.
Practice, practice, practice.

For an introvert, I think preparation and practice are the keys to giving any kind of speech. Even impromptu speeches are rarely truly impromptu. You are asked to speak because you are at least familiar with the topic.

I am a skilled public presenter but I don't enjoy it. That kind of extroverted behavior takes enormous energy.

Believe it or not, I find the best method for dealing with nerves is to take a deep breath and introvert. Ironic, I know, since you are heading into a very extroverted situation, but by focusing inward you can calm your mind and access the information you need to present more easily. Then, just try not to fidget and remember to make eye contact but not to stare at only one person.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have actually read that introverts have an easier time doing it, when it comes to the feeling socially awkward bit. They dont give a shit what the people think, but it costs more energy. An extrovert can gain energy but have problems since they read the spectators and see their reactions. Great when all going smooth and everyone is laughing. But there is always the bored one that you can start wonderign about and get doubts, which then mirrors in you etc.

There are techniques to get away from this of course, but I am not that interested in public speaking (even though it usually ends wuth me getting some laughs). Being bullied might have something to do with not liking the being evaluated part.... who knows.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I love it too. Because I like to show off how well I can talk about anything, and how charismatic/bullshitty I can be, and how diverse my vocabulary is. And possibly my outfit.

The problem I see in there is "find it very difficult to come up with something compelling". If I was giving a speech and thinking "hmm, what topic might be compelling, how might they respond to this etc etc" then I'd be nervous too and I'd probably make a poor choice in the end anyway. Just talk to a crowd as though you're talking to a good friend who you're totally comfortable with and don't have to worry about their response. Mindset is everything! Other ENTP's will back me up on this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm a speech communication major, so most of my classes involve some kind of public speaking.
I love it, especially impromptu.

I did speech and debate for three years in high school, and went to Nationals my senior year.
It was an incredible experience.
I still like to infuriate my family by insisting that I will leave my estate to the National Forensic League... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Practice, practice, practice.

For an introvert, I think preparation and practice are the keys to giving any kind of speech. Even impromptu speeches are rarely truly impromptu. You are asked to speak because you are at least familiar with the topic.

I am a skilled public presenter but I don't enjoy it. That kind of extroverted behavior takes enormous energy.

Believe it or not, I find the best method for dealing with nerves is to take a deep breath and introvert. Ironic, I know, since you are heading into a very extroverted situation, but by focusing inward you can calm your mind and access the information you need to present more easily. Then, just try not to fidget and remember to make eye contact but not to stare at only one person.
I agree with this.

Even I introvert; I use a lot more Ti when talking than Ne. Ti helps to sort out information that's relevant and create some flow, as opposed to just being everywhere. I'm focusing a lot more on the information in my head that I'm trying to present than I am the environment.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, I have never had a problem with any kind of public speaking presentation. From the time I was a little kid, I've had no problem with the attention of crowds, and have even thrived on it.

Earliest example I can think of was when I was probably four or five and the pastor at our church asked for prayer requests, I asked the whole church to pray that the bulldozers renovating our house wouldn't run over our strawberry patch. I couldn't understand why they seemed to find that so cute.

Then when I was eleven I stood up at the rehearsal dinner of my mom's college roommate (who I had never met face to face) and gave a toast. Which everybody loved.

I did theater all through high school and never felt even the slightest jitters before a performance. It always seemed like nobody believed me when I said that. They would always respond with "well sometimes nervousness can be good for a performance." To which I would smile nod and think, "Except I don't need nervousness to do a good job. That's why I'm not nervous, dimwit."

And most recently, I won second place over-all speaker at a national college speech and debate tournament. I had to drop out of college this year for financial aid reasons, but the speech and debate team was the highlight of my year. We didn't have a team in high school, but I immediately fell in love with it when I got the chance. Public speaking fears have never even been a blip on my radar.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I am INTP but share the ENTP talent for presentation. I was never jittery on stage or around large crowds...I actually enjoy performing. I love being the center of attention!:crazy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts