Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I do this....

I'm not allowed to work and I'm on the streets. I write poetry. Is there any way I can profit from it? Could use the money but more importantly I want it to be known that I wrote it before I die out here..

Reactions: Fennel

·
Registered
ᚾᛁᚦᛁᚴᛦ
397 Posts
Your best bet is to submit things to literary journals via submittable. That, or print up some poems and try to sell your work on the street, but depending on where you live, that may be considered a form of busking and be illegal or at least frowned upon. Why aren't you allowed to work?

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your best bet is to submit things to literary journals via submittable. That, or print up some poems and try to sell your work on the street, but depending on where you live, that may be considered a form of busking and be illegal or at least frowned upon. Why aren't you allowed to work?
I'm homeless. In the application process I get screened out because I don't have a permanent residence. I also don't have a good resume So I'm just not picked. And I'm too poor for a phone to apply for jobs because apparently you have to text to apply now instead of just going in. It's a full time job being homeless, walking all day and night, surviving, etc. Libraries don't help. Can't concentrate on reading. Always something you know. Can't even enjoy a hobby anymore.

Really just want to publish this poem because to me it's a masterpiece with multiple meanings and perspectives. A true work of art. If no one likes it so be it. I just want to share it.

Lol maybe I'll print out the poem and hand them out. Just to see what happens. They'll probably be assholes to me. :/

Reactions: lokasenna

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
If there are popular pubs that advertise 'open mike' days or nights, you could also read a few of your poems aloud and hope you'll get somebody's attention after the performance. And hopefully the person will be helpful and sympathetic to your situation if you explain yourself (your needs and interests).

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I'm homeless. In the application process I get screened out because I don't have a permanent residence. I also don't have a good resume So I'm just not picked. And I'm too poor for a phone to apply for jobs because apparently you have to text to apply now instead of just going in. It's a full time job being homeless, walking all day and night, surviving, etc. Libraries don't help. Can't concentrate on reading. Always something you know. Can't even enjoy a hobby anymore.

Really just want to publish this poem because to me it's a masterpiece with multiple meanings and perspectives. A true work of art. If no one likes it so be it. I just want to share it.

Lol maybe I'll print out the poem and hand them out. Just to see what happens. They'll probably be assholes to me. :/
if you just want to share it why dont you post it here or on a poetry thread?

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you just want to share it why dont you post it here or on a poetry thread?
Because of credit. Imagine someone else getting big off my poem. :/ then no one thinks I wrote it.

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there are popular pubs that advertise 'open mike' days or nights, you could also read a few of your poems aloud and hope you'll get somebody's attention after the performance. And hopefully the person will be helpful and sympathetic to your situation if you explain yourself (your needs and interests).
Good idea. Maybe there's one around.

Reactions: Morpheus83

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
sell it on amazon
tho i don't know who's gonna buy
u can write a book of poetry that actually comes with hidden meanings about the end of the world like nostradamus did
then u can title it in such a way that you make it unclear if it's about the apocalypse or what
try to find slam poetry events near your place and read it to people, on the metro as well, it's pretty difficult to be relevant in anything related to self expression, there's just too much competition

you can also start a videoblog on youtube about it

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sell it on amazon
tho i don't know who's gonna buy
u can write a book of poetry that actually comes with hidden meanings about the end of the world like nostradamus did
then u can title it in such a way that you make it unclear if it's about the apocalypse or what
try to find slam poetry events near your place and read it to people, on the metro as well, it's pretty difficult to be relevant in anything related to self expression, there's just too much competition

you can also start a videoblog on youtube about it
I don't think it's really about self expression. To me it's a construct of beauty, mathematical in nature - and with hidden meanings to a particular mind which can see past that ordinary, standard way of reading and interpreting words. It's something one might like but not understand, or perhaps understand after a long time.

I've done nostradamus like poetry before. I didn't enjoy the nightmares.... Nor would I be inclined to being a prophet for others safety and well being. Why would I make others drink the kool aid of being protected, only to be assassinated by blindness. Prophetic sense shouldn't be contained into an individual, as the whole of society becomes dependent on forecasts and hence follows instruction - as opposed to levelling up their own sixth sense to further strengthen their own ability to perceive and act when it's time for them to act. It's better to not divide, at least permanently, in that way.

Though in emergency cases I can see there being a point in becoming prophetic again.. It's not something I'll walk into willingly though.

This is a different kind of genre of poetry. Its more about existence and making sense of hard to believe things (magic).

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@VoodooDolls

The main concern is that standard expression is through things like Snapchat and Instagram, pictures or video. Words not so much.

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Heretic
ESI 9w8 5w4 2w1
10,672 Posts
I've published on amazon kindle under my own name, it is relatively easy.
No guarantee it will sell after publication, but at least it is your name on it.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Taylor swift
Taylor Swift is a singer and a musician. She profits off her voice and looks and spunk. I hate to dash your dreams but if youre holding onto a poem you wrote and counting on it to finance your life, no wonder you are homeless.Here is an answer from Quora about copyrights for free-

How can I get my poems copyrighted for free?
2 Answers
Marc Gilbert
Marc Gilbert, Digital Strategist, Game Developer, and Publishing Poet
Answered Sep 18 2015
Just to add a bit to Todd's answer, it's true that copywrite in the US is automatic. That said, in the case of a dispute you will need some way of establishing authorship. In the past, people have done things like mailing a copy of the poem to themselves and not opening it.

If the poem has appeared on the web, your pretty safe. Likewise with any print venue.

The only time your exposed is when you're submitting to journals via snail mail. I've been submitting and publishing poems for 30 years and have never heard of a problem. Of course, that may just mean I have nothing worth stealing. :)

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Taylor Swift is a singer and a musician. She profits off her voice and looks and spunk. I hate to dash your dreams but if youre holding onto a poem you wrote and counting on it to finance your life, no wonder you are homeless.Here is an answer from Quora about copyrights for free-

How can I get my poems copyrighted for free?
2 Answers
Marc Gilbert
Marc Gilbert, Digital Strategist, Game Developer, and Publishing Poet
Answered Sep 18 2015
Just to add a bit to Todd's answer, it's true that copywrite in the US is automatic. That said, in the case of a dispute you will need some way of establishing authorship. In the past, people have done things like mailing a copy of the poem to themselves and not opening it.

If the poem has appeared on the web, your pretty safe. Likewise with any print venue.

The only time your exposed is when you're submitting to journals via snail mail. I've been submitting and publishing poems for 30 years and have never heard of a problem. Of course, that may just mean I have nothing worth stealing. :)
That's not why I'm homeless....

Look I've a history of people profiting off my work. That's all. I didn't write the poem to make money. I don't care about money actually. THAT is why I'm homeless.

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've published on amazon kindle under my own name, it is relatively easy.
No guarantee it will sell after publication, but at least it is your name on it.
Did you publish an entire book?

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Heretic
ESI 9w8 5w4 2w1
10,672 Posts
I've just a poem
I'm unsure if there is any minimum limitation of size, don't remember any.
I'm guessing at least two pages, as every book needs a cover page.
It might make the book readable for free to everyone,
as amazon has this preview function that shows some of the beginning pages shown.
You will just have to test and see if it works for you I guess.

Reactions: Purrfessor

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
That's not why I'm homeless....

Look I've a history of people profiting off my work. That's all. I didn't write the poem to make money. I don't care about money actually. THAT is why I'm homeless.
well, there is a disparity about what you are saying. you want to share it and you don't care about money. you just don't want someone else to make money off of it? if someone has truly profitted off of your work, couldn't you sue them and make some money that way? i'm sorry you are homeless by the way. just think trying to make money off of poetry is pretty futile is all. and by witholding your expression, you could be losing the opportunity to get what you want by keeping your work hidden. how is it going to be worth anything in your pocket? and as far as finding the proper avenues to release it, my experience with legit publishers is they will take your ideas and profit off of them leaving you with a rejection letter. unless my experience was just a coincidence which it could have been. so basically I was going on what you said about wanting to share it.. but it sounds like you don't care about sharing it unless it makes you money. what about posting it on a personal blog? then you could link your blog around if you want. people seem to take blogs seriously..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts