Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i was fourteen i started to really get into punk rock. i felt like i had no identity . i could manage to fit in with people at school.i was sorta popular but it felt so fake.
punk rock didn't give me any real insight on the world, it just fleshed out my ideas and agreed with the values i already held.
i went to a private school so the teachers were constantly forcing their conservative views on everyone and i knew that it wasn't the answer, i wanted to see all the possibilities myself and find all perspectives myself.
punk rock spoke to me and told me to go find the truth myself, i may not always agree with the politics of a punk band but that isn't what its about, its about opening your eyes and sifting for truth yourself .
i think punk rock is a very INFP movement, its pure passion and sincerity.
i love punk rock because the music has such a blunt face to everything, they say what i would like to.
so how many fellow INFPs identify with punk rock like i do?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm really awful with genres, but I can most definitely see what you're saying. I'll just generalize and say that rock made me feel understood, for lack of a better word. But I think punk does have it's special place because, like you said, it's so passionate and focused. It doesn't need to use complex wording or melodies, really. It's just blunt. And that's necessary to get a point across at times.

And by the way, I love Ava Adore. Probably one of my favorite SP songs.

Reactions: BunBurry

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I've always had two extremes when It came to my music I have my folk side and then my Punk side.
I love 'punk' music.
What I don't love is constricitng yourself to a certain type of clothing style related to your music.
The way I dress never has and never will match up with the music I love.
So,yes, I might listen to punk music but I've never 'fit in' with any of the other kids that do
and to be honest I see them as fake...with their attitude and persona it's like a lot of them act almost
to fit some ideal when I really am a FUCK YOUR IDEALS type of person but I don't flaunt it because
I truly never give a fuck about what you see on the outside.
same goes with more 'indie' kids they all hate me. They all hate me because I listen to bands they
never heard of and I don't care about talking to people that listen to the radio and are 'mainstream'

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I think counterculture in general appeals to many INFPs. I personally like various aspects of many subcultures, but don't like the idea of identifying with one. It's kind of restricting to, honestly. I can see being a teen and trying one on as an identity, as you're sort of discovering who you are as a person separate from your family.

Punk rock (as in the original movement) has always struck me as SP, although elements seem very NP also.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
I beg to differ, Punk tends to have the "Destroy" theme and INFPs are not assertive, loud, brash, or wanting to destroy values, government. Punk has hate, to whatever degree.
However I do like most of the Punkrock music I've heard.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes. (Although my idea of punk rock is probably much different then yours). Genius on itunes thinks The Maine, Green Day, Secondhand Serenade, and FM Static are punk rock. :crazy: I can definitely relate to that kind of music though, whatever people call it. :)

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Doesn't matter anyway, because you are who you are regardless of whether you claim to be a subculture or two or three or all of them. You can't subdue yourself with a subculture. So claiming one is just useless and will confuse you more if you actually believe you are that. lulz

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I beg to differ, Punk tends to have the "Destroy" theme and INFPs are not assertive, loud, brash, or wanting to destroy values, government. Punk has hate, to whatever degree.
However I do like most of the Punkrock music I've heard.
well actually thats more of a misconception, punk didn't originate to be seen as destructive.
it was just an escape from the mediocre mainstream shit of the 70s.
for example the ramones were very melodic and poppy but couldn't find mainstream success, they didn't write anything really political, well anything really anti establishment.
i know INFPs aren't loud, assertive, brash, destructive etc. but punk is possibly the most thought provoking style of music and it does agree with a lot of my values and views on society and it explains it straight forward, which is something i admire.

people have this stereotype about punk, they think punk is some asshole with a green mohawk giving people the finger and yelling "fuck society" but its really not that.
the mainstream got a hold of it and created a image for the music which destroyed a lot of the passion and sincerity that was there originally .

“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”- Jello Biafra.
which is what's happening, look at the cd's advertised on mtv called "punk goes crunk" or any of those lousy "punk goes..." albums .

·
Registered
431 Posts
I never really listened to punk music, or know much about it... I've talked with a few punk type people they seem cool. Just people who stand up against the establishment, which I have no problem with.

well actually thats more of a misconception, punk didn't originate to be seen as destructive.
for example the ramones were very melodic and poppy but couldn't find mainstream success, they didn't write anything really political, well anything really anti establishment.
i know INFPs aren't loud, assertive, brash, destructive etc. but punk is possibly the most thought provoking style of music and it does agree with a lot of my values and views on society and it explains it straight forward, which is something i admire.

people have this stereotype about punk, they think punk is some asshole with a green mohawk giving people the finger and yelling "fuck society" but its really not that.
the mainstream got a hold of it and created a image for the music which destroyed a lot of the passion and sincerity that was there originally .

“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”- Jello Biafra.
which is what's happening, look at the cd's advertised on mtv called "punk goes crunk" or any of those lousy "punk goes..." albums .

Yea that sounds a lot like what has happened to hiphop...

·
Banned
2,078 Posts

this is just proof that labels/cultures mean nothing. i known a few punks in my life and they were as i described. i never knew or heard of a docile, bookworm punkrocker to be honest with ya.

·
Registered
335 Posts
punk may come off as aggressive - they rebel against manipulation
im may come off as agressive if im manipulated with

that is an INFP thing, but probably that is also a thing for another personality type...
its pretty basic... some people tend to rebel others dont....
i do, if its against my values..... others rebel against manipulations with other motives... who knows...

i think its important to be questioning everything in life.. also this, and by "this" i mean this personality grouping.

i have a problem actually right now that im dealing with, i was trying to see if any of you guys felt the same way, but i didnt get much response on it (my previous thread) and it was regarding being categorized.. to me it sounds predictable.... i dont like that.... i havent found my solution (by that i mean conclusion) regarding that yet... it has yet to come!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is just proof that labels/cultures mean nothing. i known a few punks in my life and they were as i described. i never knew or heard of a docile, bookworm punkrocker to be honest with ya.
um.. kurt cobain, i consider him a punk rocker and he was quite the bookworm
also greg graffin of bad religion (he's written some books i do believe)
ian curtis of joy division ( which i'd consider punk, in their early days especially) was a book worm and heavily into poetry.
joey ramone was very docile i'm not sure how much of a reader he was
but you get my point, its not all the stereotype, i just don't think you understand punk rock.
it's more intelligent than you'd think. i think those major hardcore bands like the casualties ruin it because their music is more anger and no melody.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What punk bands are you listening to these days????? : )
i'm starting to get into a lot of the uk stuff but my favorites are the sex pistols, joy division, the clash, the dead kennedys, the ramones , the damned and iggy pop/ the stooges.

·
Banned
780 Posts
I love punk/new wave stuff. Then again, I love music from all genres.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have major respect for punk music.

I have been listening to "rock" music of every sub-genre I can think of, and it really does help me feel empowering when I felt so lost, lonely, and weak.

Rock music is like the super brave INFP who is not afraid of speaking his mind out. I do stand up for what I believe in, so that's a start. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes. (Although my idea of punk rock is probably much different then yours). Genius on itunes thinks The Maine, Green Day, Secondhand Serenade, and FM Static are punk rock. :crazy: I can definitely relate to that kind of music though, whatever people call it. :)
I'd identify those as punk pop-rock. They have the influence but are pretty removed from the original thing. Not to be confused with pop-punk which is a good deal closer. I am a bit of a genre nazi though and I pay attention to things like this even though they're really not that important. What's important about music as that you enjoy it.

Anyway, I don't really listen to any of the original punk or punk-rock, but I am familiar with and listen to a bit of hardcore punk (Black Flag, Minor Threat kind of thing) and quite a bit of various kinds of hardcore. Also post-punk and the derivative sub genres are pretty interesting. The punk movement created such a stir and still has a really very real influence today. Fantastic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts