Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for someone to be 100% of each function?

Would they end up the purest form of the indicator, or some sort of robot? (Assuming that it is possible, whether it is or isn't?)

Is it more likely to be around 50% of each function, and what affect could it have?

Not saying I've come across it. Just general musings.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
The first sentence out from Jung, when describing the auxiliary function:
In the foregoing descriptions I have no desire to give my readers the impression that such pure types occur at all frequently in actual practice. They are, as it were, only Galtonesque family-portraits, which sum up in a cumulative image the common and therefore typical characters, stressing these disproportionately, while the individual features are just as disproportionately effaced. Accurate investigation of the individual case consistently reveals the fact that, in conjunction with the most differentiated function, another function of secondary importance, and therefore of inferior differentiation in consciousness, is constantly present, and is a -- relatively determining factor. [p. 514]
Ergo, no pure Ti types, because the Ne and/or Se is needed to indicate INTP from ISTP.

Reactions: Knives

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "pure" type, and the closer we come to approaching type purity. The closer we are to being insane. I am dangerously close to being a pure INFP, and it manifests as various mental illnesses and eccentricities, making me dysfunctional and imbalanced in ways that I probably wouldn't be if I had access to more options.

Think of it the way one might think of handedness. If a person were right handed, s/he would still use the left hand for some things and vice versa, because having a preference doesn't mean total denial of the non-preferred hand's usefulness, but a right-handed person who didn't have a left hand to use, while still being able to do some things well, would probably be handicapped in other ways by the lack.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
It's possible for someone to get a 100% result on an MBTI test, but I really don't know how to make sense of the existence of functions as percentages in humans. But theoretically, someone with 100% of whatever functions that are in their type would not be fit for the world. That's what I think. I mean, it doesn't seem very human/healthy to be 100% perceiving or feeling or something.

In theory, someone who truly is 50% in each dichotomy would be extremely adaptable and able to fit into whatever situation they came across. But I don't really agree with the application of percentages besides when you're looking for your type. And you have to consider that E/I and J/P mean something different for different types(NFPs, NFJs, etc.).
If you get 50% on the N/S scale, it's useful to look at both types when trying to find you true type. I'm not sure if one could actually be 50% S and 50% N...just as an example. And also, there are Ne, Ni, Se, Si, Te, Ti, Fe, and Fi. Someone who truly is on the 50/50 line for N/S(still just an example) would have to have full access to Ne, Ni, Se, and Si in the positions that those two types have them. If you consider that those don't work alone(I think they can only work with judgment functions of the opposite direction), you would also have to have access to the other functions those two types use. But I don't think you can simply switch from viewing things one way to viewing them how another type would. And I don't think you can be 50/50 for every function as each type works a different way and views things a certain way.

Some people have said that you can switch types or change types, but I really don't think so. Your dominant cognitive function attitude is ingrained in your mind and that's your most natural and comfortable way of looking at things. You can't really change that and I actually think that part of us is with us from birth. Your extroverted intuition is also a very big part of your general outlook, but it adds to your overall attitude a bit differently than it does mine.
The idea of being balanced between two MBTI functions or of being a pure type really doesn't make sense to me with my understanding.

Did that make sense?! Sometimes I think I don't make sense :unsure:

Reactions: honestfi

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first sentence out from Jung, when describing the auxiliary function:Ergo, no pure Ti types, because the Ne and/or Se is needed to indicate INTP from ISTP.
What is pure? 100% of each? And, he doesn't say it won't happen, he says it won't occur frequently. I don't see the statement as proof.

Also, just to emphasise, I don't necessarily mean my indicator. I mean any indicator.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if one could actually be 50% S and 50% N...just as an example.
I am. Nearly bang on. But could all of my functions be 50%?

Though I tend to agree with the rest of what you said, particularly when people say they "change" functions. They either picked the wrong one to start with, or they're just trying to run with some sorta "in" crowd.

Did that make sense?! Sometimes I think I don't make sense
In NTP world, you can make anything make sense. Ha.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
What is pure? 100% of each? And, he doesn't say it won't happen, he says it won't occur frequently. I don't see the statement as proof.

Also, just to emphasise, I don't necessarily mean my indicator. I mean any indicator.
When saying indicator if you mean an assessment, they do not tell us how much of a certain attitude (E/I) or function (T/F/S/N) we use. The assessment merely tells us how certain we are that function or attitude is the one we use in comparison to it's opposite. There are no tests to measure how introverted we are. The indicator is you, and your willingness to be objective and honest with yourself. This is why I scoff at ITPs claiming they have no use of Fe and INJs claiming they have no use of Se. Of course you do and it's apparent in your interactions even on the forum.

As for Jung’s discussion of pure types, you’re correct. What he actually said in the auxiliary section is,
In the foregoing descriptions I have no desire to give my readers the impression that such pure types occur at all frequently in actual practice.
although he based his descriptions on how a type may act in it’s purest form. More recent research such as this article indicates we are not pure types.
Both attitudes - extraversion and introversion - are present in every person, in different degrees. No-one is pure extravert or pure introvert, and more recent studies (notably Eysenck) indicate that a big majority of people are actually a reasonably well-balanced mixture of the two types, albeit with a preference for one or the other. Not black and white - instead shades of grey.
We can find studies based on Jung’s work that lead more towards MBTI, such as this to further indicate a need to balance the top two functions.
But all functions and attitudes are needed to live successfully, and there are no pure types.
I am suspect that although Myers-Briggs has theorized the need to balance the dominant-auxiliary functions, she has left us believing in a “perfect world” syndrome that we can and do develop the two functions. Jung never gave us any indication that the auxiliary must be used, only that it’s always present, which is why he said if he had to write descriptions using the combined functions, he would start at 256 descriptions and move up.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
As you can see by my sig, I scored 100% on P and I'm pretty high on 2 of the others, 84 on T and N.

It doesn't mean that I can't, or don't, use other functions. My auxiliary judging function, Ti is still very good, and I use it quite a bit. It just means that I REALLY prefer Ne lol.

I think that in order to really get a "pure" type, you would have to be incapable of using other functions, or they would be severely impaired. And that would not be ideal. It would make living in this world extremely challenging.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
As you can see by my sig, I scored 100% on P and I'm pretty high on 2 of the others, 84 on T and N.

It doesn't mean that I can't, or don't, use other functions. My auxiliary judging function, Ti is still very good, and I use it quite a bit. It just means that I REALLY prefer Ne lol.

I think that in order to really get a "pure" type, you would have to be incapable of using other functions, or they would be severely impaired. And that would not be ideal. It would make living in this world extremely challenging.
Of course it doesn't mean you can't use other functions, because the scores only declare how sure we are that dichotomy, not how much we use it. Besides J/P is rather useless since it only shows how sure you extravert with a perceiving function (S/N). In this case you confirm you prefer Ne which is what the "P" represents.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
No.

It is not possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts