Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think you have a set purpose, do you know specifically what your "dream job" would be, or what you want to do with the rest of your life. I have a hard time figuring out what college I'm gonna go to, what my major and my minors will be, cause I do SO MUCH, for me to be happy I would have to get multiple degrees in different fields

·
Banned
121 Posts
This would be so much easier if we had a Sorting Hat.

I think we create our purpose, but our nature and circumstances play a major role in what it is. I think in the vaguest sense it is using your gifts, passions and life experiences to make the world a better place.

It isn't uncommon for your career to be unrelated to your major. Try not to sweat it too much. ENTPs out of all types can get away with that fairly easily. What subjects are you interested in? What have you consistently enjoyed learning and not needed prompting? Double-majoring or minors can always help. You don't need to earn a degree and be formally educated to learn about something. You could also use summers to learn one or two skills intensively. Consider getting certifications in skills that are computer related (unless you want to be a computer science major); your local community college would probably have this. Languages are another thing you don't need to major in to learn. Consider doing a summer abroad in an immersion program (bonus points for legal drinking/ traveling/ culture). Consider what you might want to do (even just vaguely). I didn't declare my major until the end of my sophomore year. I have friends that changed majors even later than that. I would recommend majoring in something that is harder to learn outside of college and that is somewhat practical. That said, you will perform better and live better doing something you enjoy. I don't think having a major/ career you hate or are apathetic about is the most logical choice.

That said, I'm 23, unemployed and have no idea where the fuck my life will be even a few months from now. My life purpose is still very unclear at this point.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Do you think you have a set purpose, do you know specifically what your "dream job" would be, or what you want to do with the rest of your life. I have a hard time figuring out what college I'm gonna go to, what my major and my minors will be, cause I do SO MUCH, for me to be happy I would have to get multiple degrees in different fields
What you think you're going to be now will be way different when you graduate. You're not supposed to know. Just enjoy the experience of it, whichever college you choose, and take different classes. When you find a subject you really love then that's the one you major in.

Your purpose is to do what you love and what you're good at. It takes a while to find out, but it's an exciting and necessary process of trial and error finding it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thinking about engineering, sociology, psychology, something where I can invent stuff, maybe a scientist, counselor, etc. Ideas: creating prosthetics, thought about something that would be like a reactive force field and its totally possible at least hypothetically, suits, robots (controlled by people), maybe walkers, anything I think about in my head that I can make work. I've Also thought about using rail gun like concepts too accelerate something to a high speed then shooting it into space, then if need be using the same concept to shoot something across space at high velocities and since it would be moving and staying the same speed, it would save alot of money on conventional fuel. Then on the other side you can utilize the same thing to get back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts