Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coworker (I believe she is an ESFP) asks me almost everyday at work: "Hey Danielle, what color socks you got on today?"

She asked again today; so it's lavender and Betty Boop with pink and white stripes, I told her! She's very amused by it, and I always proudly show her... two mismatched socks! And once I take off my shoes in the parking lot, it's the first thing everyone seems to notice. Are mismatched socks really that silly? I think nothing of it!

In fact...
My family puts all of our clean socks in a plastic basket except for my dad, who's ESTJ and NEEDS them folded neatly in a drawer. In a sea of white and black socks, I always choose the most colorful ones first, usually pink, orange or yellow. I dunno. It's bright and it makes my day better!

Sorry if this sounds a little bit too much like the INFP Fashion thread, but how many of you INFPs deliberately go for mismatching socks in the morning, or do you get a matching color? What color(s) do you reach for first? Do you have a "communal" clean-sock basket at home you reach into? Do you feel comfortable showing them off to people and how often do you get people complimenting them?

Tell meh!

I hope this thread is in the right place! Sorry if it's not! D:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Back in the day when I had socks with days of the week written on them I made a fool of myself continuously by wearing my Monday socks on a Thursday, and other embarassing situations. Of course, it was only embarassing for me because people felt the need to question something so trivial.

Other than that, my big toe has long punctured holes in my socks so they are believed to be ten years older than they are. I barely wear socks anymore, makes me feel more like a hippie that way.

By the way, I loved the anime Interstella when I watched it. It was a very interesting and unexpected experience.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Adorable thread. ^-^

Anyway, my socks always match, but if I had the choice, I'd have mismatching socks of every color there is out there... And really long socks, especially when they have stripes! :O I want those!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I only have gray wool socks and long black socks and they're very different so I don't like mixing them. I'd freeze or sweat on one leg if I did. But hmm. I definitely need to restock on socks soon, and I also need a vacuum cleaner and um. Probably some other stuff. A good reason to go buy some socks anyway. Need mismatching socks. I'm sure my sister would approve of them. :3

·
Registered
15,664 Posts
Socks are very important to discuss.

I wear same colored socks to work, however, sometimes a few rogue black socks will go lighter (fade), than some of the other black socks & I have been known on some work days to wear a darker black sock with a slightly lighter black sock.

In the winter I only wear these micro-fiber socks. I have all kinds of colors.

For some reason I don't quite know why, for about 25 years, in the middle of my life, I did not like to wear socks at all. Then, as I got older, I turned toward socks again because my feet got cold. Right now, with a freeze warning out for this area tonight, I am wearing dark blue thick micro-fiber socks and slippers and my feet feel quite nice.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I have boring white Hanes socks. But the Hanes logo on the bottom of the toes are either red or blue! The best story I have with them is that when my mom folds/wraps them, she HAS TO have the red ones match and the blue ones match. She gets a little shirty when I do it the wrong way... (Mostly in jest; I find it more amusing than anything.)

I dunno, I never had a fascination with socks. My sister does, but she's ESFP. My thing tends to be hoodies :laughing:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Haha! I don't even see which socks I choose. I just throw them on, and notice when somebody points it out to me. :)

Reactions: Simplify

·
Registered
166 Posts
my socks never match. sometimes they look like they do, but there is always something slightly different at least. and since i take my shoes off pretty much whenever possible people usually mention it, and ask why i always wear mismatched socks.
a few days ago was an exception and somehow my socks ended up matching and my boyfriend was like what happened, why do your socks match? it was pretty funny.

and one of my friends always has mismatched socks, and hers are always cray different and usually brightly colored/patterned.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back in the day when I had socks with days of the week written on them I made a fool of myself continuously by wearing my Monday socks on a Thursday, and other embarassing situations. Of course, it was only embarassing for me because people felt the need to question something so trivial.

Other than that, my big toe has long punctured holes in my socks so they are believed to be ten years older than they are. I barely wear socks anymore, makes me feel more like a hippie that way.

By the way, I loved the anime Interstella when I watched it. It was a very interesting and unexpected experience.
Awesome! I never see socks like that anymore! I might be tempted to match them if they had days of the week on them. But it would be awesome to wear a name of the month pair of socks everyday (after washing them, of course) to see if people get creeped out. Ahaha, I guess that defeats the purpose of avoid embarrassment, though. xD

I know! I was in love with the album "Discovery" (the music featured on it) since 2001, the year it came out. I didn't see the anime until 2007 or something, but the art is beautiful and they complemented one another! And there's no long, drawn out storyline. xD

Adorable thread. ^-^

Anyway, my socks always match, but if I had the choice, I'd have mismatching socks of every color there is out there... And really long socks, especially when they have stripes! :O I want those!
Thank you!

Yes! They have some awesome socks in Wal-Mart that have a lot of different colors! They just need to make them really long, too! My sister recently bought green and black striped stockings for Halloween; I wish they sold socks like that every time of the year. D;

I only have gray wool socks and long black socks and they're very different so I don't like mixing them. I'd freeze or sweat on one leg if I did. But hmm. I definitely need to restock on socks soon, and I also need a vacuum cleaner and um. Probably some other stuff. A good reason to go buy some socks anyway. Need mismatching socks. I'm sure my sister would approve of them. :3
Ahaha, that guy's proud of his foot wrap! But, that's true if it's different material, then it's best not to mix them. But would you mismatch two socks made of the same material, like wool? ;P

Socks are very important to discuss.

I wear same colored socks to work, however, sometimes a few rogue black socks will go lighter (fade), than some of the other black socks & I have been known on some work days to wear a darker black sock with a slightly lighter black sock.

In the winter I only wear these micro-fiber socks. I have all kinds of colors.

For some reason I don't quite know why, for about 25 years, in the middle of my life, I did not like to wear socks at all. Then, as I got older, I turned toward socks again because my feet got cold. Right now, with a freeze warning out for this area tonight, I am wearing dark blue thick micro-fiber socks and slippers and my feet feel quite nice.
I understand; I'm going through a similar phase. I actually don't like to wear actual sneakers very much (or any shoe that requires socks) but for my job, it's necessary, so I figured to have some fun with it.

Those micro-fiber socks look so comfortable. I think I might change my mind about not wearing sneakers. ;3

I have boring white Hanes socks. But the Hanes logo on the bottom of the toes are either red or blue! The best story I have with them is that when my mom folds/wraps them, she HAS TO have the red ones match and the blue ones match. She gets a little shirty when I do it the wrong way... (Mostly in jest; I find it more amusing than anything.)

I dunno, I never had a fascination with socks. My sister does, but she's ESFP. My thing tends to be hoodies :laughing:
Awesome! I remember those! We still have some around, but they were very popular about 15 years ago. Reading that, I kinda miss folding socks now. What is it with those ESFPs and socks? =P

Haha! I don't even see which socks I choose. I just throw them on, and notice when somebody points it out to me. :)
Yes, I actually did that for a while; didn't realize which socks I was taking until people started noticing them, and then I started to mismatch them on purpose. It's a funny thing what other people notice. =P

Interesting topic title. But man, I always put on unmatching socks. And they look only slightly different but people still make fun of me. ;_;
Do you do it purposefully? I think mismatched socks is just another subtle way of expressing yourself. I betcha they like it deep down. The people I work with are actually intrigued as to why my socks don't match, and treat me as if I'm a hero... or maybe an oddity- I can't tell. xD

my socks never match. sometimes they look like they do, but there is always something slightly different at least. and since i take my shoes off pretty much whenever possible people usually mention it, and ask why i always wear mismatched socks.
a few days ago was an exception and somehow my socks ended up matching and my boyfriend was like what happened, why do your socks match? it was pretty funny.

and one of my friends always has mismatched socks, and hers are always cray different and usually brightly colored/patterned.
Hehe, don't let him down and wear matching ones too much! I feel that way a little. I wouldn't want to let my coworker down by wearing matching socks; then she won't ask anymore. It holds a sense of pride, for some reason. =P

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I don't mismatch my socks, but I do like colorful stockings & interesting socks. I'm not into cartoon characters, but I may like a polka dot or paisley print or something with a little pizazz. I have tights in many, many shades, ranging from hot pink to a multi-color geometric print. I also like different textures - fishnet, lace, cableknit...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I mismatch my socks all the time. I'll have like, one worn down, ratty, holey white sock and a new rainbow knee sock on at the same time. Drives my Sensor family cur-azy.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I mismatch my socks deliberately sometimes. It's quite liberating.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't mismatch my socks, but I do like colorful stockings & interesting socks. I'm not into cartoon characters, but I may like a polka dot or paisley print or something with a little pizazz. I have tights in many, many shades, ranging from hot pink to a multi-color geometric print. I also like different textures - fishnet, lace, cableknit...
Awesome! Wearing stockings beats wearing long pants all of the time! I like the polka dotted idea, it's very quaint. In very few, but satisfying cases, wearing tights makes me want to go someplace fancy like an opera. =P

I mismatch my socks all the time. I'll have like, one worn down, ratty, holey white sock and a new rainbow knee sock on at the same time. Drives my Sensor family cur-azy.
Ahaha, that would drive my family crazy, too. At least you have a secret weapon for the times when they get on your last nerve. =P

I mismatch my socks deliberately sometimes. It's quite liberating.
Isn't it? And the good thing is that no one will ever have to know, either. Your secret is well kept. ;P

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
My socks (when I bother to wear them) rarely match. The only thing I ever care about is whether or not the length/thickness is similar enough that I don't feel lopsided. This has been a trend for years and years, to the point that sometimes when I want to change things up, I'll wear matching socks. It totally throws my friends off, which is highly amusing. Most other people just shake their heads and assume that it's just another "faerie needs to be different" type thing. Really it started because I was too lazy to match my socks and then it got to be a game to see who would or wouldn't notice. :p

Probably the most amusing thing though is that it took a psychiatrist I worked with something like seven or eight months to realize that I was wearing mis-matched socks. This was despite the fact that when we had meetings it was usually at one of the residential houses where the team would be in a circle in a living room setting and with my fidgety self I was always changing positions AND usually wore these little bells on an anklet that would tinkle with any shift in position. And he considered himself a good observer, psh.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't like wearing socks, I usually wear shoes that don't require them. When I do wear socks I like the tiny ankle socks and I end up wearing them even when they get holey. My mom freaks out about it and buys me new socks which I don't wear because they're not short enough lol :laughing:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ahaha, that guy's proud of his foot wrap! But, that's true if it's different material, then it's best not to mix them. But would you mismatch two socks made of the same material, like wool? ;P
Of course I'd mismatch them, that's why I need to get some in different colors! The ones I got now are like um... like one is a normal sock made of wool and the other goes all the way up to my knee. And they're like gray and black, so I need something spiffy. I do wear both at the same time sometimes though, although people don't comment much on that. :3

·
Registered
27 Posts
whenever I wear socks, they're liable to be riddled with holes. Drives mom crazy :mellow:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does mismatching jewelry count? :crazy:
It definitely does, and extra points go to you because it's harder to mismatch THAT! Just what do you combine together and with which clothes? Imagine it is something interesting to try when work-like places permit that kind of thing. ;P

My socks (when I bother to wear them) rarely match. The only thing I ever care about is whether or not the length/thickness is similar enough that I don't feel lopsided. This has been a trend for years and years, to the point that sometimes when I want to change things up, I'll wear matching socks. It totally throws my friends off, which is highly amusing. Most other people just shake their heads and assume that it's just another "faerie needs to be different" type thing. Really it started because I was too lazy to match my socks and then it got to be a game to see who would or wouldn't notice. :p

Probably the most amusing thing though is that it took a psychiatrist I worked with something like seven or eight months to realize that I was wearing mis-matched socks. This was despite the fact that when we had meetings it was usually at one of the residential houses where the team would be in a circle in a living room setting and with my fidgety self I was always changing positions AND usually wore these little bells on an anklet that would tinkle with any shift in position. And he considered himself a good observer, psh.
Ahahaha, I feel the same; I only intentionally mismatch my socks now to see who notices (and if it's a nice soft and thick, yet sleek texture, too). And nice story! Ha, maybe psychiatrists are too busy looking at body shifts and don't hear anything but voices. But definitely not observant enough that if someone were truly depressed or what-not, that she might not be wearing a tingly anklet. That's what I think, anyway. Did the psychiatrist help you a lot, though?

I don't like wearing socks, I usually wear shoes that don't require them. When I do wear socks I like the tiny ankle socks and I end up wearing them even when they get holey. My mom freaks out about it and buys me new socks which I don't wear because they're not short enough lol :laughing:
Oh yeah, those long socks that you have to cuff! It's so 90s evolved from 80s! Sheesh, people with thick calves, like me, can't fit into those! At least they might make neat sweatbands if you or I would ever dare to try. =P

Of course I'd mismatch them, that's why I need to get some in different colors! The ones I got now are like um... like one is a normal sock made of wool and the other goes all the way up to my knee. And they're like gray and black, so I need something spiffy. I do wear both at the same time sometimes though, although people don't comment much on that. :3
Haha, I love knee socks. I don't know how anyone could NOT look! I know that most people are only worried about themselves, and it's always when you want someone to look at what you're wearing that they never will. D;

whenever I wear socks, they're liable to be riddled with holes. Drives mom crazy :mellow:
All the better to make fingerless gloves or sock puppets with, but I kinda like the idea. xDxD

1 - 20 of 32 Posts