Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m a confirmed ISFJ.

But when I was younger it came to my attention that I was able to take apart a puzzle in school and put it back together. My question is what cognitive function is responsible for this Si or Ti or maybe both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Both, I believe.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Pretty sure only intuition can piece things together ~

Most kids master the basics at preschool but only a select few can find alternative ways to put the puzzle back together.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts

But when I was younger it came to my attention that I was able to take apart a puzzle in school and put it back together. My question is what cognitive function is responsible for this Si or Ti or maybe both?
Ti. Understanding how the puzzle fits together in a logical relationship. Of course this is a very basic level of Ti that no one should have any difficulties with.

Si, being personal sensation, would perceive how you personally feel about the colours/feeling/sound/etc of the puzzle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure only intuition can piece things together ~

Most kids master the basics at preschool but only a select few can find alternative ways to put the puzzle back together.
Interesting I thought intuition would be something that was like thinking outside of the box and abstract more like a creative side.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Interesting I thought intuition would be something that was like thinking outside of the box and abstract more like a creative side.
Eh, what do those things really even mean? It is not even possible to think outside the box when one does a puzzle like that. Au contraire, one carefully follows the instructions / visual cues of the box. As most pieces are usually impossible to fit together unless if you do it the right way. The thing is, the right way has been predetermined by the maker of the puzzle. So you aren't really discovering anything new there. BUT you could say the same about everything, not just puzzles...

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Taking things apart to understand its basic principles is often associated with Ti. It is common to see people claiming Ti doms to be good at puzzles, maths and stuff because of this. Now whether or not Ti actually assists into being good at puzzles is something I can't tell you for sure. I think it might, but it would not be the only function to assist in such activity.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I can't think of how Ti would be involved. What made you suggest that function?

I think a person would need both a judging and a perceiving function: one to take in the look and/or feel of the puzzle and one to decide how to put it together. If you put the puzzle together more or less from memory, I'd say Si. If you put it back together without really referencing how it (or a similar puzzle) looked and/or felt before you took it apart, I'd lean towards Se. But the decisions about which piece to try where seem purely Te. I can't think of anything subjective about which piece will fit where.

Reactions: Turi

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,045 Posts
First I was joking, although my second post was closer to being semi-serious.
Obviously the OP is pretty much a noob in typology and this thread went like serious with reasoning and not revealing truth. Just for perC's honor someone should reveal how stuff actually is and for real, OP seems to be serious, so we as typology people should help him instead of purposing some sh1t. No one likes that douche that is revealing the truth in a harsh way like "it's not typology related. period", the most appealing writting is by someone who is able to explain stuff, dig into some depth and stay not offensive or joking, but helpful and warm. Why not you? I have some hope for Fe dom and from my experience you seem to have the knowledge to do something like that. Do a good deed and it will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
l’espirit rouge;39942321 said:
Obviously the OP is pretty much a noob in typology and this thread went like serious with reasoning and not revealing truth. Just for perC's honor someone should reveal how stuff actually is and for real, OP seems to be serious, so we as typology people should help him instead of purposing some sh1t. No one likes that douche that is revealing the truth in a harsh way like "it's not typology related. period", the most appealing writting is by someone who is able to explain stuff, dig into some depth and stay not offensive or joking, but helpful and warm. Why not you? I have some hope for Fe dom and from my experience you seem to have the knowledge to do something like that. Do a good deed and it will be appreciated!
Thanks sweetie, I will consider it, but you have too much faith in humans and this community.

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,045 Posts
Thanks sweetie, I will consider it, but you have too much faith in humans and this community.
I just can't see why should I not. I can be blind, but ultimately am the believer in something better. Le stupido with faith. I don't operate in reality, I'm all about the spirit, that's why I am l'espirit rouge.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,634 Posts
I can't think of how Ti would be involved. What made you suggest that function?
You are working on a puzzle. You've been making progress when all of a sudden you get stuck. Maybe I should try this? (Is that Te?) You end up right back where you were. What haven't I tried? What have I been doing that has send me into this rut? (Is that Ti?)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,418 Posts

Si makes you remember where the pieces should go
Se makes you see the pieces and do something with them
Ni makes you see connections between the pieces
Ne makes you see what can become of the puzzle
Ti makes you think what's logical from your own point of view
Te makes you think what would be logical most people would do
Fi makes you feel attached to the puzzle to wanna make this for yourself
Fe makes you feel like wanna do this for other people

Or something like that... I am not an expert at all functions per say, but my point is: we all use all functions. As ISFJ, you have a strong Si, so you might be very capable of remembering where the pieces have to go, which could help you making the puzzle in a relative short period of time. And obviously, you will take good use from your Ti as well when making such puzzle.

·
Banned
710 Posts
Te dom and this is how I go about solving visual puzzles:

1. Empty box and display it somewhere easily visible (for reference).
2. Spread out pieces in an area somewhat larger than the area the puzzle will occupy.
3. Begin to sort through pieces according to three basic categories and place into piles:
a. Corner pieces (assuming it is a square/rectangular shaped puzzle, there should be four pieces)
b. Border pieces/flat edge pieces
c. Inner pieces
4. Arrange/orient four corner pieces according to what/how they appear on the box (if possible, that is. Might not be clear from the box pic, and if I'm stuck I will come back to it later).
5. Proceed to corner piece pile. Place pieces into subcategories based on colour, pattern and/or anything else that I may deem to be a connection between pieces.
6. Proceed to inner piece pile. Place pieces into subcategories based on colour, pattern and/or anything else that I may deem to be a connection between pieces.
7. Go back to corner piece pile and begin to assemble framework on puzzle's actual physical scale.
8. Go to border piece pile and continue to assemble framework based on box pic reference. I would likely start out matching pieces that visually make sense to me. This part I do not know how to articulate/explain properly, but I just know they will fit based on how I have arranged them. This is not 100% accuracy all the time, but pretty good. Sometimes the pieces don't fit properly, even though they look like they should (i.e. bad fit). Sometimes pieces go together that make no sense at all - they just fit (?) This is more trial and error...
9. Go to inner piece pile and continue the same type of assembly, placing groups of images in their respective locations, according to the box.
10. Repeat this sequence until all pieces are joined together in perfect totality.

Now if there is no box pic to reference, then the task becomes a lot more challenging. Relying on a lot more intuition in how I think it is supposed to look. I would still categorize and classify according to the above, though.

My grandmother was (likely) an ISTJ and she had us doing 1000-2000 pc puzzles when we were very young. I've always enjoyed doing puzzles. It can be an analogy for life, sometimes.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
Another Joke thread [via] the fetishtists + magical-thinking pollution! Not Typology related.

What is being touching on is (basic humanoid intelligence) + patternized recognition (a symptom of high-functioning biotic algorithmic based human brains) - as seen within any form of puzzle.

Assuming the humanoid is not (deterimentally low in IQ that standard "puzzles" (re: problem-solving)) is not possible, therefore rendering the humanoid dysfunctional on ones own, the average humanoid with an IQ of about 90 "regardless" of typology, should have a mild interest in problem-solving, puzzles, certain games, (&) do relatively well at it, regadless of any 'cognitive-function' position.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts