Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pyroluria
anyone have this problem or think they have it?
Apparently 50% of people with mental illnesses have this condition and only 10% of people who have Pyroluria DON'T have a mental illness.
I am currently being treated for this with suppliments - hope it works!

What is pyroluria?
Pyroluria is a genetic condition that causes anxiety, depression and withdrawal most often starting in late-teens and continuing throughout the person's life. It can be very severe or very mild and very much affected by levels of stress. It's onset usually occurs with a traumatic incident such as going away to college or to the army, parental divorce or death of a loved one. There may be severe depression, schizophrenia, alcoholism, autism, bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder) or on rare occasions, DID (dissociative identity disorder more commonly known as multiple personalities) in the family tree. All of these are different manifestations of pyroluria.
Pyroluria is a blood disorder. When the body produces hemoglobin, a constituent of red blood cells, there is a byproduct called kryptopyrroles. Normally harmless, in this group of people the kryptopyrroles multiply too rapidly and block receptor sites for B-6 (pyrodoxine) and zinc leading to a serious deficiency of these two nutrients. Among other things, B6 and zinc directly help maintain a healthy emotional state.

SYMPTOMS
1. Little or no dream recall
2. White spots on finger nails
3. Poor morning appetite +/- tendency to skip breakfast
4. Morning nausea
5. Pale skin +/- poor tanning +/- burn easy in sun
6. Sensitivity to bright light
7. Hypersensitive to loud noises
8. Reading difficulties (e.g. dyslexia)
9. Poor ability to cope with stress
10.Mood swings or temper outbursts
11.Histrionic (dramatic) tendency
12.Argumentative/enjoy argument
13.New situations or changes in routine (i.e., traveling) particularly stressful
14.Much higher capability and alertness in the evening, compared to mornings
15.Poor short term memory
16.Abnormal body fat distribution
17.Belong to an all-girl family with look-alike sisters
18.Dry skin
19.Anxiousness
20.Reaching puberty later than normal
21.Difficulty digesting, a dislike of protein or a history ofvegetarianism
22.Tendency toward being a loner and/or avoiding larger groups of people
23.Stretch marks on skin
24.Poor sense of smell or taste
25.Feel very uncomfortable with strangers
26.Frequently experience fatigue
27.A tendency to overreact to tranquilizers, barbiturates, alcohol or other drugs (in other words, a little produces a powerful response)
28.A tendency toward anemia
29.History of mental illness or alcoholism in family
30.Easily upset by criticism
31.Sweet smell (fruity odor) to breath or sweat when ill or stressed
32.Prone to acne, eczema or psoriasis
33.A tendency toward feeling anxious, fearful and carrying lifelong inner tension
34.Difficulty recalling past events or people
35.Bouts of depression or nervous exhaustion
36.Prone to frequent colds or infections

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I'm a little skeptical of the validity of the condition, but no, I don't have it.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
That's quite a list of symptoms, and anyone going through that gets my sympathies... Truly.

Why is this posted in the INFJ forum?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have some of these symptoms, but I am the exact opposite of others. For example, I usually don't remember my dreams, and I HATE eating breakfast, haha. But I almost never get colds, even if everyone around me is sick.

Interestingly, I have read that people who have depression need to make sure they are getting plenty of zinc and B vitamins.

Is there a test for this illness? It sounds like it could be diagnosed through a blood test. Although, I got bloodwork done recently and got a clean bill of health.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thank you for posting; many of these symptoms ring true for me, particularly the odd physical symptoms such as cold hands and feet and sensitivity to light though with me I've a tendency to tan very easily. I've never been able to explain cold fingertips and toes, which tend to happen regardless of season or weather.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It almost sounds like they took a bunch of very common "symptoms" and made a disease out of them. Apparently it is part of Orthomolecular Psychiatry, and most orthodox psychiatrists are against this theoretical approach.

But if it works for, then by all means.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
31.Sweet smell (fruity odor) to breath or sweat when ill or stressed
I wish I smelled fruity when ill or stressed. :kitteh:

Honestly though, all these symptoms are that of stress-induced epigenetic depression & personality disorders. All of these problems with health, memory and the regulation of emotion are side-effects of excessive stress.

If you have many of these symptoms, zinc and vitamins are certainly going to help but aren't going to cure you all on their own.

Read more;
http://personalitycafe.com/infj-for...act-stress-its-repercussions-modern-life.html

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have some of the symptoms exactly and the opposite of others. I do have mental illness that started in my late teens (Bipolar, PTSD, anxiety), but I was born autistic. I take multivitamins, B-Complex+vitamin C, and fish oil.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
7 out of 36. I'ma go ahead and say no.

I feel like this could panic a lot of the forum because people will be like "I have some of these symptoms am I at risk?"

like aizar said... This doesn't sound very valid. Any of these individual symptoms could be linked to any number of things.

Uncomfortable around strangers. A symptom of a blood disorder? Really?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow, I have everyone of those symptons up to 20, then after 20 I don't have. I think I've dealt with it and doing just fine now though. So I don't think I have it, at least any more.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I say I have 8 of them and 20 in a bad mood, but right now I feel great. When I'm stressed I exhibit more of those symptoms, but I think I'm fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts