Personality Cafe banner

621 - 640 of 7804 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ahh.. and not to mention the only hearing complaints/negativity when anything was the least bit imperfect, but never a compliment/any positiveness when I'd gotten things incredibly wonderfully damn-near-perfect. Does wonders for the self-esteem!
omg, I'm so glad I found people who feel the same!!!!!! My ex loves complaining about everything, anything!!!!! From street signs to servers in restaurants.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think that's hot. I'd love to flip through the books and ask you about them. The smell of mahogany just intensifies the mood, nerdy yet exotic.

Just what I thought as an ESFP who loves books and classy people.
I do love books, but the reality is that I'm anything but high-class.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I do love books, but the reality is that I'm anything but high-class.
My first year in grad school, this guy asked me up to his dorm room to check out his collection of literary criticism books. He had a very impressive collection, all hardcover and he had set up these awesome heavy-duty bookshelves and the whole room had this reading nook feel rather than that generic dorm-room thing... and he sat next to me on the bed and we had all these books spread out around us and he kept getting up to get me another one--"oh, you'll LOVE this one!!"--and it was so awesome, we talked for like two hours about them. He never made any kind of romantic/sexual move in the LEAST, and I didn't want to presume anything and put him in an awkward position when he was being so nice about sharing his impressive book collection, you know, to get all feely during intellectual time or whatnot.

All you outside observers must be cracking up at this point how nerdily oblivious I was to the MOST OBVIOUS COME ON LINE EVER, and the ironic part is that I really WAS interested... I was pretty turned on by the depth of the conversation and all the books. (Unrepentant bibliophile, right here.) It just didn't occur to me that HE was interested in ME until three days later when a mutual friend finally took pity on me and told me how disappointed the guy had been and I was like wtf??? How was *I* supposed to know he was as interested in my body as he was in my mind? Then I realized how stupid that sounded. :p

Sorry, tangential but the conversation about mahogany and books reminded me of that ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
My first year in grad school, this guy asked me up to his dorm room to check out his collection of literary criticism books. He had a very impressive collection, all hardcover and he had set up these awesome heavy-duty bookshelves and the whole room had this reading nook feel rather than that generic dorm-room thing... and he sat next to me on the bed and we had all these books spread out around us and he kept getting up to get me another one--"oh, you'll LOVE this one!!"--and it was so awesome, we talked for like two hours about them. He never made any kind of romantic/sexual move in the LEAST, and I didn't want to presume anything and put him in an awkward position when he was being so nice about sharing his impressive book collection, you know, to get all feely during intellectual time or whatnot.

All you outside observers must be cracking up at this point how nerdily oblivious I was to the MOST OBVIOUS COME ON LINE EVER, and the ironic part is that I really WAS interested... I was pretty turned on by the depth of the conversation and all the books. (Unrepentant bibliophile, right here.) It just didn't occur to me that HE was interested in ME until three days later when a mutual friend finally took pity on me and told me how disappointed the guy had been and I was like wtf??? How was *I* supposed to know he was as interested in my body as he was in my mind? Then I realized how stupid that sounded. :p

Sorry, tangential but the conversation about mahogany and books reminded me of that ;)

I just love men who read. Cannot deal with someone who never put their hands on books.

First thing I went into a man's place, I check out their bookshelf. It satisfies my curiosity of books I've never heard of and it also tells you a lot about that person.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts

If it helps, I don't think I would've picked up the cues either... and if I have had, I would still have waited for him to act first >.< And if he were as introverted as I, we would probably sit there wondering together why the other one is not doing anything. The joy of introverted relationship building.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
If it helps, I don't think I would've picked up the cues either... and if I have had, I would still have waited for him to act first >.< And if he were as introverted as I, we would probably sit there wondering together why the other one is not doing anything. The joy of introverted relationship building.
Sometimes you have to make calculations. And sometimes those calculations are wrong. Usually I'll analyze in my head the situation, and whether taken all of the behavior and signals together, that making a move would be the natural conclusion.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
Sometimes you have to make calculations. And sometimes those calculations are wrong. Usually I'll analyze in my head the situation, and whether taken all of the behavior and signals together, that making a move would be the natural conclusion.
Thinking =/= acting.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The funny thing was, I didn't think to look for signals. He said look at books, so that's where my mind was. It didn't occur to me at the time to look for anything else. My friends think it's hysterical because normally I'm such a sexpot :)

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
The funny thing was, I didn't think to look for signals. He said look at books, so that's where my mind was. It didn't occur to me at the time to look for anything else. My friends think it's hysterical because normally I'm such a sexpot :)
Some hang out with people for their drugs. You, on the other hand, are a book fiend.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Some hang out with people for their drugs. You, on the other hand, are a book fiend.
Oh, no doubt. More specifically, I'm an INFORMATION junkie. I crave new stuff to learn about.

Greatest fear? knowing everything. :p

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Greatest fear? knowing everything. :p
Really? My greatest fear is knowing nothing for sure... in other words, I live in fear all the time.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
Lol, that's why I picked one i know I'll never have to face lol
I fear not knowing enough.

I live by the ethos that we should strive for perfection but because perfection does not exist, we will never attain it. But by giving that little extra to attain perfection makes the difference between good and bad.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I fear not knowing enough.

I live by the ethos that we should strive for perfection but because perfection does not exist, we will never attain it. But by giving that little extra to attain perfection makes the difference between good and bad.
Only provided that you can temper that with a realistic expectation of how far along the perfection continuum your work is likely to fall, given yr best effort. I struggle with this.

621 - 640 of 7804 Posts