Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I vaguely understand quantum entanglement: One thing I'm curious about is this.

Can particles that are entagnled become unentangled.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
iirc from Mass Effect and my physics teacher at the time... Quantum entanglement was the thing where you essentially polarize two different particles right?

I'm going to assume that if there's a way to do that, there's a way to undo that, but the specifications and the effort of untangling is something I don't know.

Probably MUCH harder than entangling something. Kinda like demagnetizing something.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I recall entangled particles are produced by the following

1. Creating particle pairs: The two particles are created simultaneously and act as if connected
2. Bombarding two particles with entangled photons: The photons are entangled and so to are the particles.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The information is disentangled or the particles?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
A measurement happens forcing the other particle into the state not measured on the initial particle giving one information about both particles

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Tezcatlipoca

And what does that do?

Hey, I don't understand quantum mechanics well

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
You get my last msg?
Quantum entanglement:

Measurements of physical properties such as position, momentum, spin, polarization, etc. performed on entangled particles are found to be appropriately correlated. For example, if a pair of particles is generated in such a way that their total spin is known to be zero, and one particle is found to have clockwise spin on a certain axis, then the spin of the other particle, measured on the same axis, will be found to be counterclockwise; because of the nature of quantum measurement, however, this behavior gives rise to effects that can appear paradoxical: any measurement of a property of a particle can be seen as acting on that particle (e.g. by collapsing a number of superposed states); and in the case of entangled particles, such action must be on the entangled system as a whole. It thus appears that one particle of an entangled pair "knows" what measurement has been performed on the other, and with what outcome, even though there is no known means for such information to be communicated between the particles, which at the time of measurement may be separated by arbitrarily large distances.
When the measurement happens, waves collapse into measured outcomes, meaning their "spooky action at a distance" ceases. As far as I understand it, this measurement happens whenever one particle bumps into another.

Yet, I am looking modern research where there are basically cracks in established science.

Since this relates to measurement, which was supposed to be governed by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it should be known, research suggests it is somewhat false:

Heisenberg uncertainty principle stressed in new test - BBC News

Reactions: yet another intj

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
What if a previously entangled particle is just a.. Particle?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts