Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tiny quantum computer built in a diamond | The Verge

This would actually be pretty cool in the future. I personally have an eversion to having a computer implanted in me (I know I am boring), but wearing a quantum computer sometime in the future would be awesome. I also like the idea of my apparel becoming selve-aware, but not being able to do anything about it mechanically.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,382 Posts
I wonder how long before they'll have a real quantum computer like this working. It would help with mass-surveillacne systems (processing all the data), dealing with encryption cracking and so on.

R.C.
Remember to seriously read my signature down below and be sure you understand what I mean by it...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ironically part of the reason they're researching diamond is because the diamond cartels realized some time ago that eventually synthetic diamonds would probably put them out of business so they're paying for research into practical uses for diamonds. A full fledged quantum computer more powerful then the fastest super computer on the planet only requires 128 entangled particles, so you could use a pretty small diamond. Theoretically spintronics or any number of other alternatives could use cheaper materials as well and the thing could end up eventually costing pennies to make. Its really all the research that goes into it that's expensive.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I wonder how long before they'll have a real quantum computer like this working. It would help with mass-surveillacne systems (processing all the data), dealing with encryption cracking and so on.

R.C.
Remember to seriously read my signature down below and be sure you understand what I mean by it...
It will take a while. We are still in the theoretical state. Its predicted to come about around 2100.

Makes sense for it to be a diamond. Massive storage capabilities.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,382 Posts
@wuliheron

Ironically part of the reason they're researching diamond is because the diamond cartels realized some time ago that eventually synthetic diamonds would probably put them out of business so they're paying for research into practical uses for diamonds.
So this is about keeping the profits up, there's no desire for altrusim?

R.C.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
@wuliheron

So this is about keeping the profits up, there's no desire for altrusim?
Universities only account for about 10% of all scientific research and even then it is often supported by governments and industries. Especially basic research like this that involves expertise outside their own field and isn't likely to pay off for a long time. The governments and corporations want to explore possibilities and the universities do the work relatively cheap. If it shows promise then the governments and corporations might start funding their own private research.

What the diamond cartels are exploring is cheap ways to make diamonds and all the possible uses for cheap diamonds. They figure if they don't do the research someone else might beat them to it and get all the patents and put them out of business. Theoretically it is possible to grow diamonds at close to room temperature and air pressure, but so far it looks to be too slow. Still, they are making progress and already synthetic diamonds are much cheaper then the natural variety. For some uses they could be irreplaceable. For example, diamonds can take tremendous heat and a diamond computer chip could theoretically operate inside a jet engine or whatever. Since the diamond part of the chip would have to be at most a few millimeters thick and the size of a fingernail the additional cost could be worthwhile.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,382 Posts
@wuliheron

What the diamond cartels are exploring is cheap ways to make diamonds and all the possible uses for cheap diamonds. They figure if they don't do the research someone else might beat them to it and get all the patents and put them out of business.
Makes sense. That's what I got out of it

R.C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts