Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here is going through it too? Or if someone who has can give some ways to handle it?

I suppose it's the reason I am here on this forum.. I'm almost thirty, another birthday soon and I've gone into a bit of a downward spiral. Just a lot of self doubt, worrying if I'm on the right track and if I am being true to myself and what I want. I think I still hold onto a lot of dreams that don't really have a place in reality.

When I was a kid, who I really wanted to be was Indiana Jones, lol. I know archaeology is nothing like how it is in the movies and the realities of working and travelling aren't that great. At the same time, I've ended up in a creative job but ultimately a desk job, nothing like the dream I had about seeing the world.

Funny thing is I worked hard to get here, to have a career I am passionate about and lifestyle that I enjoy but I guess I'm still holding onto those childish dreams. I'm afraid to let them go because I don't want to be 50 and angry at myself that I didn't act now. At the same time, my business is in its infancy and I need to be working on it to make it grow. It is so important to me but I'm wasting time worrying and acting up with too much pleasure seeking, trying not to feel this stirring discontent :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It sounds like you could use a vacation. Remember you still have time to see the world (50 really isn't that old if you take care of yourself), just put aside a little bit of money if you can to go towards your travels. It's definitely difficult to get your own business off the ground, but if you're happy with it and you want to do it and you think it's worth pursuing then pursue it. You have to decide what your limits are regarding how happy/unhappy you want something to make you and what sacrifices will be worth what end result. No one can make these decisions for you, but there may be some way for you to combine your business and pleasure. I'm pretty sure Harrison Ford was over 50 in the last Indiana Jones movie :) you'll be alright.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply funcoolname, you're probably right about me being due for a vacation! It's likely I'm feeling this way because it's getting hard and I'm low on energy to follow through with business ideas. I tend to start thinking about alternative unrealistic careers when it gets hard, lately I've been thinking that I should become a journalist haha. I'm turning 28 in a month and I should've grown out of this by now! I am happy with it and I do want to do it, so I think I'll just get on with it! LOL Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,127 Posts
Career decisions from our youth are not typically "mistakes for life". I opted to choose more financial security than my dreams would have allowed. I just plan to work the current job until I have a nest egg built up. It's my hope to retire early and pursue my art and maybe some more relaxing part time work, to supplement my retirement income. It's a bit of a gamble, but is what I am banking on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts