Mel - ISTJ
Lindsey - INFJ
Ben - ENFJ

Pod'Lair Approximation: only difference I noted was Justin
Justin - ~ INFJ

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Why do you both think Brian is ESTP? Okay, he likes to party and have sex, but he's very manipulative and bossy. I'd go with ENTJ od ENTP.
Justin - ISFP
Emmet - ExFP
Debbie - ExFP
Michael - xNFJ (fighting for all that's right in the world)
Ted - ISTJ (he's the definition of an accountant)
Mel - ISTJ
Lindsey - ISFJ
Ben - ENFJ

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I rescind my take on Justin. I will go with ESFP for Jungian and roughly ENFJ for Pod'Lair (I think ~ ENFJ is the actor's type as well).

@Darner Firstly, I want to make clear that intuition doesn't lack anything that sensation has, or vice versa. Secondly, insightfulness (N) isn't as strong in Brian's person as effectiveness (S). The partying, sex, manipulation and bossiness didn't occur to me as pertaining to his personality. I didn't use them. I'd stick with perceiving because he tends to do without much care for how it falls in anyone's sense of orderliness (including his own, or lack thereof).

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Brian doesn't strike me as an intuitive. Everything about him is how the now truly is everything that matters to him. If it isn't in front of him or if it doesn't directly effect him he doesn't care about it. He is horrified of the future and takes little to no account for it which is why he is often blindsided by things until the last possible moment. He is a very live for the day kind of character.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This thread has been dead for 4 years but I totally agree with xSFP for Justin leaning towards ISFP. However, I still would consider ENTJ for Brian, one with unhealthy Se. Barney Stinson is another type who is ENTJ and people usually type as an ExTP. He doesn't have any Fe in his system, not even unhealthy or undeveloped one, but I certaintly see Te-Fi. Not every ENTJ is super healthy and productive and has everything incredibly figured out.

Brian is super stubborn about his own beliefs of how the world is and will drag everyone down with him and won't allow anyone to shape his ideas in any form or way. As someone with inferior Fe, even us allow other people's ideas or opinions get to us. He also didn't seem to be clueless about what he wanted or felt, he just repressed (and even tried to suppress) it and prioritized his logic and what reasonated with his own ideas.

Us weak Fe users... we mostly don't know how we are feeling about something until we externalize it. Like sure this isn't bothering me but let me complain about this a lot and oh, wait, maybe it IS bothering me? Meanwhile it is clear that Brian acknowledges his own feelings but very shittily deals with it by not doing anything about it but trying to deal it away, but in the end it always finds it way of coming out in one way or another.

And yeah, you could say that he's a dom Se user because he's all about living life in the present, but that's a defense mechanism to shut down the side of himself who questions is shit is really wrong. He has all the negative Se. Does he ever make an actual effort to experience new things because it's exciting to him and he wants to give it a try impulsively? No. He truly is just stuck in doing the same 'spontaneous' thing every single day of his life (which stops being 'spontaneous' when it has been happening for years). Every type can drown their feelings and worries in alcohol and partying, even though it is true that unhealthy Se is prone to do it even more... which is something he has.

Everything else seems pretty Ni-Te-Fi-ish. He knows what he wants. He won't let anyone change his mind about it. He will try to control everything around him to make sure nobody gets him out of his comfort zone (each unhealthy type has one, it's not just the Sis).

And ENTJs are much more prone to being as much of an asshole as he is. Not because ENTJs are asshole, but because they are much less perceptive or caring of how their behavior affects their surroundings. That can be a pro when people are criticizing you for no good reason at all because it won't get to you as easily, but it also can be a con because it can make you an stubborn asshole. He has no regards for anyone's feelings but his, unless he actually cares about the person (here comes the Fi).

While xxTPs may not care as much about it as other types would either, we do have a finer line to cross in the middle and we will be affected by external factors more. Whichever xxTP states otherwise while being completely honest either has an excelent self-esteem (which Brian doesn't because he's dealing with pretty heavy self-hatred) or is just really not being actually aware of how much their behavior is being affected by their surroundings. You don't need to be hypersensitive for other people's opinions to mold you, I know many of us see that as a weakness and I really don't get hurt by most things people say about me. Still, other people's opinions on certain things do affect my own, sometimes not even in a bad way because it can get me to question things and stop me from being easily close minded.

That, however, doesn't apply to Brian.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Anyone watch this show?

View attachment 37155

Brian ESTP 8w7, Sx/Sp
that works

Justin ESFP 4w3, Sx/So
eh, not Sexual 4. maybe Sp or Soc 4
also, I see ISFP

Micheal INFP 9w1, So/Sp
6w7 Sp/Sx, probably ENFP

Ted INTJ 6w5, Sp/So
Sp 5w6 (probably Sp/So)

Emmett ESFP 7w6, So/Sx
that works

Debbie ESFJ 2w3, So/Sx
6w7 Sx/So

Mel INFJ 8w9, Sp/So
huh? I saw E?TJ 1w2 Sx/So

Lindsey INFP 6w7, So/Sx
9w1 imo

Ben ISFP 1w9, Sp/Sx
9w1 imo, could be Sp/Sx or So/Sx

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts
This thread has been dead for 4 years but I totally agree with xSFP for Justin leaning towards ISFP. However, I still would consider ENTJ for Brian, one with unhealthy Se. Barney Stinson is another type who is ENTJ and people usually type as an ExTP. He doesn't have any Fe in his system, not even unhealthy or undeveloped one, but I certaintly see Te-Fi. Not every ENTJ is super healthy and productive and has everything incredibly figured out.

Brian is super stubborn about his own beliefs of how the world is and will drag everyone down with him and won't allow anyone to shape his ideas in any form or way. As someone with inferior Fe, even us allow other people's ideas or opinions get to us. He also didn't seem to be clueless about what he wanted or felt, he just repressed (and even tried to suppress) it and prioritized his logic and what reasonated with his own ideas.

Us weak Fe users... we mostly don't know how we are feeling about something until we externalize it. Like sure this isn't bothering me but let me complain about this a lot and oh, wait, maybe it IS bothering me? Meanwhile it is clear that Brian acknowledges his own feelings but very shittily deals with it by not doing anything about it but trying to deal it away, but in the end it always finds it way of coming out in one way or another.

And yeah, you could say that he's a dom Se user because he's all about living life in the present, but that's a defense mechanism to shut down the side of himself who questions is shit is really wrong. He has all the negative Se. Does he ever make an actual effort to experience new things because it's exciting to him and he wants to give it a try impulsively? No. He truly is just stuck in doing the same 'spontaneous' thing every single day of his life (which stops being 'spontaneous' when it has been happening for years). Every type can drown their feelings and worries in alcohol and partying, even though it is true that unhealthy Se is prone to do it even more... which is something he has.

Everything else seems pretty Ni-Te-Fi-ish. He knows what he wants. He won't let anyone change his mind about it. He will try to control everything around him to make sure nobody gets him out of his comfort zone (each unhealthy type has one, it's not just the Sis).

And ENTJs are much more prone to being as much of an asshole as he is. Not because ENTJs are asshole, but because they are much less perceptive or caring of how their behavior affects their surroundings. That can be a pro when people are criticizing you for no good reason at all because it won't get to you as easily, but it also can be a con because it can make you an stubborn asshole. He has no regards for anyone's feelings but his, unless he actually cares about the person (here comes the Fi).

While xxTPs may not care as much about it as other types would either, we do have a finer line to cross in the middle and we will be affected by external factors more. Whichever xxTP states otherwise while being completely honest either has an excelent self-esteem (which Brian doesn't because he's dealing with pretty heavy self-hatred) or is just really not being actually aware of how much their behavior is being affected by their surroundings. You don't need to be hypersensitive for other people's opinions to mold you, I know many of us see that as a weakness and I really don't get hurt by most things people say about me. Still, other people's opinions on certain things do affect my own, sometimes not even in a bad way because it can get me to question things and stop me from being easily close minded.

That, however, doesn't apply to Brian.
Wow, I completely agree with your take on Brian as an ENTJ. Even before I read your post I saw how much Brian and Barney are similar, only Barney is the safe for TV version of Brian. That's cool you saw it, too. I agree that Brian isn't an ESTP. He's a planner despite his Se hedonistic ways, and extremely intuitive about people and situations, while being blunt, cold, and straightforward in taking care of business.

I think this is the most Te-dom (w/ an undercurrent of Fi) thing I've ever heard, which I think he says in the second episode:

"I don’t believe in love, I believe in fucking. It’s honest, it’s efficient. You get in and out with maximum of pleasure and a minimum of bullshit. Love is something that straight people tell themselves they’re in, so they can get laid. And they end up hurting each other, because it was all based on lies to begin with. If that is what you want, then go and find yourself a pretty little girl, and get married."

I'm on Season 4, and here's what I think so far:

Brian - ENTJ 8w7 sx/sp
Justin - ISFP or INFJ, 6w7 sx/so or 4w5 sp/sx
Ted - ISxJ 6w5 sp/so (Everything has to be practical.)
Emmett - ENFP 4w3 or 7w6, so/sx or sx/sp (I had originally thought 7, but I'm now thinking 4 w/ disintegration to 2 with how he acted when Ted left him, doing all these things for people, or maybe that was just to distract himself.)
Michael - ENFJ/ISFJ?? 9w1 so/sx (At this point, I still have no clue on Michael's MBTI. He's the hardest for me to type)
Ben - INFJ 4w3 sp/so
Melanie - ESTJ 1w2 sx/so
Lindsay - ISFJ 9w1 sx/sp
Debbie - ESFP 2w3 sp/sx
Vic - ISFx 9w1 sp/sx

Other characters:

Hunter - ESFP 7w8
Daphne - ENFP 9w1 or 6w7
Justin's mom - ISFJ 9w1
Ethan (Justin's boyfriend, Season 3) - INFP 4w3
Blake - IxFx 9w1, possibly 7 or 4? (Really no clue, because he changed completely from Season 1)
Dr. David (Michael's boyfriend, Season 1) - ISTJ 3w4
Cody - ESTP cp 6w7 (Total counter-phobic 6w7)
Leda (Melanie's old girlfriend) - xSTP 7w8
Chris Hobbs - ESTP 8w9
Chief Stockwell - ESTJ 1w9 or 3w4
Detective Horvath - ISTJ 6w5

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
ENTJ is how I'd type Brian as well--yes, he acts the ESTP stereotype, but I think the Se is clearly (a) unhealthy for him and (b) more for show (to align with an Ni ideal). Maybe this is my read of the character, but I don't read him as generally unaware. Maybe sometimes he hasn't thought of a scenario (no Ne) but I tend to think of him as putting on a persona for others without completely losing his sense of perspective. He's at his worst when he's caught unaware, unlike ESFP Justin, who's at his best when caught up in the moment.

Michael is tough. I think Hal Sparks is a strong Fe user and it's one of those cases where it may be hard to distinguish character and actor. I'd make a case for SJ>NJ because of the way he's caught up on Brian. That kind of unhealthy fixation on what could have been/may be in the future is a classic Si-Ne process. I think ISFJ is how I lean.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
pretty decent list
Brian - ENTJ 8w7 sx/sp
I also lean more ENTJ than ESTP (but still on the fence). agree with Sexual 8 (though I could see Sp 7)

I'd go with the latter

I'm between Sp/So 6w5, 5w6 or 1w9 (very Sx-blindspot overcompensation in a rather awkward manner)

Emmett - ENFP 4w3 or 7w6, so/sx or sx/sp (I had originally thought 7, but I'm now thinking 4 w/ disintegration to 2 with how he acted when Ted left him, doing all these things for people, or maybe that was just to distract himself.)
I see E?FP 7w6 Sx/So with a 4 fix

Michael - ENFJ/ISFJ?? 9w1 so/sx (At this point, I still have no clue on Michael's MBTI. He's the hardest for me to type)
?NFP 6w? Sp/Sx

Ben - INFJ 4w3 sp/so
9w1 So/Sp or So/Sx
not really sure where you're seeing 4

Melanie - ESTJ 1w2 sx/so
yes!

Lindsay - ISFJ 9w1 sx/sp
agreed

Debbie - ESFP 2w3 sp/sx
2w3 Sp/Sx is much more princess-y (think anime lolitas). if she's a 2, it's 2w1 So/Sx (Social 2 is more 8-ish, has a larger presence, can be more aggressive).

Vic - ISFx 9w1 sp/sx
that works

Hunter - ESFP 7w8
6w7 Sx/So

Daphne - ENFP 9w1 or 6w7
could be. I never got a terribly good read on her

Justin's mom - ISFJ 9w1
I saw 3. maybe ISTJ 3w4 Sp/Sx?

yes

Blake - IxFx 9w1, possibly 7 or 4? (Really no clue, because he changed completely from Season 1)
ISFP/INFJ 9w1 So/Sx

I was between 3w4 and 1w9

8w7 Sx/??

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts
Brian - ENTJ 8w7 sx/sp

I also lean more ENTJ than ESTP (but still on the fence). agree with Sexual 8 (though I could see Sp 7)
With a 378 tri-type? 8w7-7w8-3w4 sx/sp

I'd go with the latter
Yeah, I think 4 sp/sx works best, and either wing is possible, but I went with 5-wing, since I also see Ethan as 4 sp/sx, but he was far more willing to "sell-out" to make it in his career (3-wing), and Justin was really against it, if I remember right. And Debbie calls him "Sunshine," the "sunny" quality of sp-4.

Interestingly, this subtype can also look like a Type Seven, which in some ways is the opposite of Type Four, because some Self-Preservation Fours express a need to be light. With all the enduring and efforting these Fours do, they may at times display the high energy characteristics of Sevens, and they may also have a need for fun and playfulness as an escape from having to tough things out all the time. This may account for the fact that there are some Fours who do not seem as melancholy as others- Fours that appear more “sunny” and lighthearted. However, these Fours can be distinguished from Sevens in their greater access to their emotions.
Now, ISFP or INFJ is the question...

I'm between Sp/So 6w5, 5w6 or 1w9 (very Sx-blindspot overcompensation in a rather awkward manner)
Yeah, I thought 5 too, with his fall into drugs and that lifestyle, seen as disintegration to 7, but I think he stresses practicality too much to be 5. Seems like he's starting to integrate to 9.

I see E?FP 7w6 Sx/So with a 4 fix
Still not sure on him, but I think he's ENFP. Really quite the dreamer compared to Ted's SJ practicality, and why they were torn over finding a home. I see Si more in Emmet, too.

?NFP 6w? Sp/Sx
After watching last night, I think he's INFP. I think you can see the Fi vs Fe difference between him and Ben. I think 9 so/sx, because he's usually the one to hold the group together, or see things as not a big deal, or gets really angry when his mom buts in with her own agenda. I see him having the merging quality with Brian.

Ben - INFJ 4w3 sp/so

9w1 So/Sp or So/Sx
not really sure where you're seeing 4
I can see 9w1 so/sp, but I see 4 in how he's giving lectures on aesthetic theories, Oscar Wilde (another 4), following one's passion, or seeking to make it in the world with his novel (sp-4). I would say sp > so, because of how fixated he is on staying healthy, which isn't the best argument since it's necessary for his survival, but I wouldn't see him as a sp-9. There hasn't been much to his character, though. And he seems to be integrated to 1, in how disciplined he is, or one might argue that's his 1-wing. In the third season with Hunter, they were portraying him almost as a 2w1, so his character isn't the most consistent.

Melanie - ESTJ 1w2 sx/so

Cool!

Lindsay - ISFJ 9w1 sx/sp

Yeah, I was thinking INFP in an earlier post, and I immediately took that back after watching it again. She's definitely an Fe-user.

Debbie - ESFP 2w3 sp/sx
2w3 Sp/Sx is much more princess-y (think anime lolitas). if she's a 2, it's 2w1 So/Sx (Social 2 is more 8-ish, has a larger presence, can be more aggressive).
I thought sx-2s were the 8-ish 2's? I guess I don't see Debbie as aggressive, unless she's unappreciated, like all 2s. She's loud and domineering, but always ready to lend a hand, cook a meal, or give advice where it isn't wanted (i.e. Brian). I do think she's a 2, though, which especially becomes apparent after Vic moves out, and she goes over to Michael's and does all these things for him just to be needed. Perhaps so/sp?

Vic - ISFx 9w1 sp/sx

that works
I think he's ISFP now.

Hunter - ESFP 7w8

6w7 Sx/So
Really not sure on Hunter yet, but I would say ESFP is his MBTI type.

Daphne - ENFP 9w1 or 6w7

could be. I never got a terribly good read on her
Yeah, she's one of those. I don't really know myself, but thinking 6w7 might be more likely.

Justin's mom - ISFJ 9w1

I saw 3. maybe ISTJ 3w4 Sp/Sx?
Not much to her character, but 3w4 works, too. I just thought she was too lax and subdued to be a 3.

Yeah, INFP 4w3 sp/sx (or sx/sp)

ISFP/INFJ 9w1 So/Sx
That looks possible! I can't remember how he was in Season 1 besides being part of the drug scene.

I was between 3w4 and 1w9
Yeah, I would say 3w4 sp/so.

8w7 Sx/??
Can't remember too well, but that works too.

Appreciate the feedback!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts