Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
I find that the law of causality usually applies to emotions as well as everything else, although it can sometimes be harder to spot, so I'm not sure I would call emotions 'random', at least not more random than anything else.

Do I sometimes need to find a way to make myself cry? Hmm. I guess you could say I sometimes create a context that makes crying happen, such as look at pictures of a lost loved one, listen to certain music or read certain poetry. Unlike many other 'men' I appreciate crying and don't shy away from it, so I don't really suffer from the common hang ups about it, you could say it comes naturally to me or rather that I let it happen in a natural way. Like most things, crying becomes easier with practice. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I disagree about being 'emotional as a brick.' That's how we come across to others, and that's also the stereotypical view of the NT.
I know I have emotions but struggle to process and express them.

But I can actually relate because sometimes I (without realizing it) keep my emotions so repressed that crying would be the only way to bring them to the surface. They're there somewhere, and crying is one of few ways to actually feel all of them and not be tempted to rationalize them. It doesn't happen often or in front of people, but sometimes it does happen.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes. Might as well go with your instincts
There's something being held within/repressed which must come out. I agree that there's some causality to it as well: you have to rid yourself of whatever binds you down, your mind/heart/whatever you want has had enough.

Put on a movie you're willing to escape in & cry, no matter how stupid you think the movie really is. [10pts more if you sleep-deprive yourself or otherwise fuck up your body for maximum output (-_-;)] Seriously though inundating myself with depressing media while sleep deprived usually does the trick.

Or if there might be a specific reason, just go down into your mind & figure where this arises. If it's already trying to make you cry, facing it could do wonders.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just curious but do any other INTPs (or any other type that are as emotional as a brick) just get in these random moods where you just need to find a way to make yourself cry? (which is hard to do)

Can anybody relate or am I just weird.
I'm not sure what you meant by "emotional". The way I see it, I can appear as emotional as a brick but I'm sensitive as a...I don't know, think something fragile :laughing:
I don't make myself cry, although there are times when I feel more sensitive (when this happens, I use music as some sort of emotional catalizer). Although it may have at least something to do with physiological hormonal fluctuation and therefore, represent a mere biological fact. I don't get random moods anymore. I used to, but got on medication for a while and now I'm stable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Quest for feels"

I thought this was going to be a thread where we could share stuff that emotionally moved us.
To answer your question: No - I don't get random urges to make myself cry.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This does not happen to me. I know of certain things that can make me cry, but I don't ever get random urges to seek them out so that I can have a therapeutic bawling session.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Nah - but I'll go through the What Makes An INTP Laugh marathon at times, and that can bring tears. That brings at least some sort of emotional release.
Crying is a way of calming yourself down in the first place, isn't it? I guess if you want to shift nervousness and tension, substituting it for crying, it could be helpful then.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I find some kind of paradoxical comfort in being sad/depressed. I'm not particularly proud of that fact. Makes me feel all emo.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't feel the need to cry, though I am pretty good at processing my emotions and "feeling" them.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
If I am not processing my emotions well, yes. Like the kind of squeezing depression that grabs you like a pincer. That is the worst kind of feeling, worse even like the "collapse and do nothing cause you're so depressed" kind of depression.

I actually love crying...it makes you feel better and more peaceful and relieves the worst parts of your feelings while more actively expressing the best parts of them.

I used to be able to cry often, even well past puberty. (I don't actually think you need to be super emotional to do this; you just focus on feelings that are more likely to get you to burst into tears, and try to amplify them. Like hacking your emotions basically. Many cultures do it when there are cultural expectations to cry at certain times.)

But later, I had to try to make my self even less sentitive than I already was because my "primal emotions" (the ones that came from sore spots and bad experiences) were so strong that they were embarassing me. I would become anxious or depressed or angry far too easily in public, especially when siblings or people who knew me well were pushing my buttons. Fe can ironically do that, make us more emotional (in a bad way) instead of less at times. The shadow thing.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Just curious but do any other INTPs (or any other type that are as emotional as a brick) just get in these random moods where you just need to find a way to make yourself cry? (which is hard to do)

Why would you need ​to make yourself cry? I don't understand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are certain anime series that have a certain episode that will make me cry.

RahXephon is the one that's most salient to me.

I don't often seek this out, and if I were to see it often, it would no longer have its effect. But every few years I feel the need to watch it, and yes when it reaches episode 24, I will always cry.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

I see some uses for it. It can be a healthy thing, depending on where you are at. Or it can be odd.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
"Quest for feels"

I thought this was going to be a thread where we could share stuff that emotionally moved us.
To answer your question: No - I don't get random urges to make myself cry.
Really? I thought he was looking for a massage parlor. If that's the case I'd look for places that advertise a "happy ending" *nudge, nudge.*

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
A "happy ending" would be nice for once, either at a massage parlor or otherwise...:rolleyes:

But I agree with @passmethecookies, I'm someone who works hard to put on a stoic mask, but I'm really very emotionally brittle on the inside. I wish I could be the mask sometimes, this world was made for mechanized things and feelbots...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Alone, yes, I do make myself cry to feel better sometimes. I think it's just hormones or my bottled up anxieties trying to wiggle their way out.

When I'm around people I HATE crying. Worst thing in the world. If a person I love is crying, I get these weird sympathy tears and want to leave the room. Whenever I open up emotionally to someone in any way (anger, insecurities), I can't help but cry. It's a hideous feeling because I don't want it, I can't stop it, and the other person tries to comfort me by saying it's okay to cry, so I'm left mortified and regret ever talking in the first place.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts