Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question

So I've been using contact lenses for a few months now, but there is one thing about them that is bothering me a bit. Sometimes when I put them on, my eyes feels quite irritated for a few minutes before they adjust.

Before I put the lenses on, I always make sure that my hands are clean, that the lenses aren't inverted, and that there aren't any dust on the lenses. I also check the lenses after I've put them on without seeing anything that should cause irritation.

So I'm wondering if it is normal to feel some irritation for a few minutes after putting on contact lenses. And again I would like to note that this only happens occasionally. Most of the time I don't feel any irritation when I put my lenses on.

·
Meh.
ENTJ
8,164 Posts
First off: what type of contacts are they? Day? Monthly?

Second: what are you using to put them in with? Water? Solution?

Third: If they aren't the daily disposable ones: do you clean them before putting them in or do you clean them after you take them out?

I've been wearing rigid contacts for the past 15 years and usually only get that when I use water to put them in or when I need to change my cleaner or when I've cleaned them right before putting them in instead of letting them soak in solution overnight. When I use the daily disposable ones I'll get that if they are close to the expiry date.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I get occasional discomfort, but I've been wearing disposable contact lenses 16+ hours per day, every day for almost 20 years. My eyes are a lot more sensitive than they used to be. When I was younger I never had problems with them at all. Now, the lenses will usually only irritate my eyes if they're getting old or if I haven't cleaned them properly. New lenses I never have any problems with at all.

If it goes away within a few minutes of putting them in and it's only occasional, I wouldn't worry about it. If it becomes an ongoing problem then I would consider switching to a different type of lens or changing up the solution that you're using.

·
Meh.
ENTJ
8,164 Posts
I get occasional discomfort, but I've been wearing disposable contact lenses 16+ hours per day, every day for almost 20 years. My eyes are a lot more sensitive than they used to be. When I was younger I never had problems with them at all.
Yeah I have the same thing. I have had to start taking them out when coming home from work and wear my glasses occasionally because my eyes are just too sensitive after all those years of wearing contacts. Eyedrops do help somewhat though.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I take mine out, clean them, soak them in solution overnight and put them in after showering the next morning. I rarely have this problem unless I've been sloppy with cleaning.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use disposable one day lenses that are soaked in a saltwater solution in the packages. So cleaning them isn't the problem, unless it is my hands that aren't clean enough.

If it goes away within a few minutes of putting them in and it's only occasional, I wouldn't worry about it. If it becomes an ongoing problem then I would consider switching to a different type of lens or changing up the solution that you're using.
Yes the irritation goes away after a few minutes, and it only happens occasionally. I'll try using eyedrops the next time it happens, and see if that helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's normal to have irritation when you wear contact lenses but as you go on using it as the time passes the irritation becomes infrequent. I hope the irritation does not remain for the whole time when you are wearing the lenses. Using the cleaning solution for the contact lenses is also a point that is needed to be focused. Try to use a better one. Its good that you clean your hand when you use contact lens. As always prevention is better than cure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.