Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a few books on the enneagram. I am pretty certain I am a 5w6 but I act more like a counter phobic 6, I can list some examples of the behavior if needed. Counter phobic Wing, yes or no?

is it possible to be 5w6(cp)? Or can you only be a 6wX (cp)?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I just picked up a few books on the enneagram. I am pretty certain I am a 5w6 but I act more like a counter phobic 6, I can list some examples of the behavior if needed. Counter phobic Wing, yes or no?

is it possible to be 5w6(cp)? Or can you only be a 6wX (cp)?
You could be healthy and integrating, which would make you more 8-ish, because you are a 5.

Either that or you could be CP 6w5 :p lolol.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
excluding levels of health, the fact that most people will be found in a nice middle-ground between the two, and the fact that it will most likely manifest differently in everyone, i think the best way to illustrate it is to give a general (but concentrated [see: without taking the above into account]) view.

each variation--phobic and counter-phobic--is really a way of escaping fear, and each form is just a form of running, a way to hold onto the orientation that was once our saving grace.

(as i understand it)

phobic: the eventual outcome will be something that i can't deal with, so i'd rather comply and align myself to the levels of energy in my current surrounding--as stepping outside of them will bring about a threat is greater than my capabilities (or sometimes, i think it can be that the phobic 6 is really afraid of what will happen because they are aware that they're repressed reactions will be "greater"/uncalled for in the current situation).

counter-phobic: may appear similar to an 8 at times; seems reactive and confrontational, maybe even reckless (in pronounced forms). senses those energies in the room, and fears submitting, not because submission is so unappealing, but because a loss of self will ensue--the fear and reaction may resemble a fight against being enveloped by what is seen as unnecessary and oppressive forces.

whereas the phobic will be more inclined to "maintain the peace" in order to save their place/themselves/loved ones in the current environment, the counter-phobic sees compliance as the potential "death" of what is important (themselves/loved ones).

it's almost like each is really trying to do the same thing, but one allows envelopment, while the other digs their feet in against it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I will ever figure this out. I will just stick with I am 5w6 CP it seems to make sense to me.

I think I find my security in gaining knowledge and my knowledge makes me feel secure so, they balance each other well.. So the whole knowledge vs security doesn't help.
looking at integration doesn't really help either because how closely they resemble each other.
Also I believe my anxieties have subsided greatly since I have found out more about myself and social norms of society within the last few months. I see my self becoming less skeptical of the motives of people because now I understand their motives a little better.

Instead of dwelling on why they said something a certain way and trying to find out if it was vindictive or negative.
I now think that they are only responding according to how they perceive things which is different than how I do.

so to sum this up until I am challenged on my decision with some hard facts or maybe have some great eye opening experience I will stick with my decision as a 5w6 with CP behaviors. I will also give myself another month or so to think on this and I will attempt to take the enneagram test again.

·
Registered
852 Posts
No, the underlying dynamic of the 5 is different and as such their domain ins't fixated on the will to act, its more of a practice behind them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts