Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between brainstorming and Ne? because I feel like anyone, regardless of type, can brainstorm.... Or are they related?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I don't know...I can brainstorm if I have to, but I'm not generally very good at it by myself. When I need to brainstorm some ideas for a paper, for example, I call my INFJ mom, and we bounce ideas off each other. But I need that dialogue to get my creative juices flowing, so to speak. I get the impression the Ne-users don't need much help coming up with ideas.

Reactions: Namaste

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know...I can brainstorm if I have to, but I'm not generally very good at it by myself. When I need to brainstorm some ideas for a paper, for example, I call my INFJ mom, and we bounce ideas off each other. But I need that dialogue to get my creative juices flowing, so to speak. I get the impression the Ne-users don't need much help coming up with ideas.
Hmm, I never really noticed who was coming up with the ideas in groups, but now that I think about it I can see how the SPs might have held back a little more than others (I am not sure about NJ types, I don't know too many). I am not always the best at brainstorming by myself, but when I am with my NP friends they help to foster my Ne in me and I can have an endless flow of ideas.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Brainstorming is a pretty general term and is something you can do in a variety of ways. Pretty much any function can be used in the process (depending on how loose you want to be with the semantics of what brainstorming is, exactly) and while Ne can be useful for coming up with ideas, it's far from the only way to go about it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
What is the difference between brainstorming and Ne? because I feel like anyone, regardless of type, can brainstorm.... Or are they related?
As I have come to understand it, Ne users are just more likely to brain storm, because they naturally see a multitude of different possibilities. Anyone has the capacity to brain storm.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I hate brainstorming, because they won't let you criticize.
And it's always too bloody vague.
And they just want quantity rather than quality. I prefer quality.
Damn bureacrats.
I just want to find the right answer, that's all.

I can think up all kinds of ideas when I want, but the way brainstorming tends to be framed, it is just irritating. The kind of situation Ne would deal better with, often.

(also, it depends on the question. Some questions/topics benefit from multiple scenarios so I have a ball doing that, then (usually alone). In most cases only one is called for but people still want quantity anyway. Partly to find what is best, rather than what is functional, and partly as masturbatory self-congratulatory warm and fuzzy group-bonding - "everyone contributes!!!")

Reactions: WildWinds

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I agree ^

I brainstorm in my head automatically. But my Ti is almost as strong as my Ne, so I'll weed things out as I process them. An actual brainstorm setting would probably drive me nuts because I'd be analyzing every idea that came out and deciding right then and there if its plausible and should be kept, or crap and crossed off.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well.... I dont know any answers, but I have experiences that points in certain directions:
I have been in several brainstorming sessions (with an ENFP, ISTJ, weak ENTJ and an INTP). All I can say is that the others couldnt keep up. As WildWinds write above, I not only came up with several ideas (that they couldnt grasp but needed time to see), but I also evaluated them and scrapped some while just beginning to try to explain them. That did not help the confusion either..:). After all sessions the consensus is that I brainstorm a heck of a lot faster (10x?) than the other guys and girls in the group ( the others say it too). And my ideas are quite plausible, but perhaps not THE BEST ideas (that is also subjective, of course).

I am 99,9% sure that the idea I see in my head will work if followed through. But if other persons wish to insert their own input into the idea (the model) then I need re-evaluation time. Mostly because the input from others often is subjective: I have to deduce what they REALLY want to insert, and then see how it effects the whole. But it can of course better the end result.

This I think also explains much of the concept of ENTP "arrogance". Since we KNOW that our idea will work, and often see the flaws in other peoples ideas (but dont necessarily wish to point them out), we push for our ideas. ENTPs are the natural brainstormers according to MBTI... I think.

Of course, if someone else comes up with something obviously genial, I do standing ovations and hurrahs.

EDIT: That was an ENTP posting arrogant enough for you?...:)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Ne is always on, for one thing. :tongue: Ne craves more experience and more stimulation so it can start to make more connections and widen it's reach/range of vision. Ne also has to do with how I store information (memory technique) - in lectures at school, for example, I take the information I am being fed and relate it to the same subject from the perspective of another discipline, or I relate it to personal experiences, or stories I've absorbed through popular culture (movies, fables, etc). The way it comes up with ideas/answers is pretty much brainstorming, but Ne extends to much more of life than that. :cool:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well.... I dont know any answers, but I have experiences that points in certain directions:
I have been in several brainstorming sessions (with an ENFP, ISTJ, weak ENTJ and an INTP). All I can say is that the others couldnt keep up. As WildWinds write above, I not only came up with several ideas (that they couldnt grasp but needed time to see), but I also evaluated them and scrapped some while just beginning to try to explain them. That did not help the confusion either..:). After all sessions the consensus is that I brainstorm a heck of a lot faster (10x?) than the other guys and girls in the group ( the others say it too). And my ideas are quite plausible, but perhaps not THE BEST ideas (that is also subjective, of course).

I am 99,9% sure that the idea I see in my head will work if followed through. But if other persons wish to insert their own input into the idea (the model) then I need re-evaluation time. Mostly because the input from others often is subjective: I have to deduce what they REALLY want to insert, and then see how it effects the whole. But it can of course better the end result.

This I think also explains much of the concept of ENTP "arrogance". Since we KNOW that our idea will work, and often see the flaws in other peoples ideas (but dont necessarily wish to point them out), we push for our ideas. ENTPs are the natural brainstormers according to MBTI... I think.

Of course, if someone else comes up with something obviously genial, I do standing ovations and hurrahs.

EDIT: That was an ENTP posting arrogant enough for you?...:)
Thanks! That gave me a deeper understanding of you ENTPs... :happy:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
The difference is that Ne is a non-forced process, whereas brainstorming is active.
I also find it funny that when I do try to actively brainstorm, I often come up with nothing but shit...

When you brainstorm, you often have a specific objective. Ne has no specific objective or destination.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I'll echo the others in saying Ne is rather automatic when in the dominant and tertiary positions. You don't see or need to see the connecting lines, and those connections are a LOT less obvious than the connections non-Ne people make in brainstorming. It's more like ideas forming seemingly out of nowhere, and they just pop in your mind. It's kind of like the mind sees the layer of the world beneath the tangible/visible/concrete - the underlying processes, concepts, and connections - and it brings forth ideas from these without any linear process or conscious effort. The part of my mind that is more conscious is evaluating these ideas & possibilities, because that involves reasoning. Being Fi though, it's still not exactly linear :tongue:.

Conscious brainstorming is strange to me also, as some have mentioned, and I often am left feeling stumped. It's easier for me to get ideas when I am NOT focused on coming up with them. I get inspired by considering the external in a relaxed way, withe the intuition running in the background, and then the ideas flow naturally.

The reason other people have to focus to "brainstorm" and are conscious they are doing it is because they are accessing an inferior or shadow function (for an ISTJ, Ne is their inferior function). It's probably similar to how I have to put a lot of focus and energy into my inferior Te - organizing, judging based on facts, etc. I can do it, but I am aware of it and it requires me to focus. Because of that, I may avoid using it, as it will feel draining.

·
11,928 Posts
Conscious brainstorming is strange to me also, as some have mentioned, and I often am left feeling stumped. It's easier for me to get ideas when I am NOT focused on coming up with them. I get inspired by considering the external in a relaxed way, withe the intuition running in the background, and then the ideas flow naturally.
I've realized right from childhood that I could never come up with good ideas forcefully, but that I had moments when multiple ideas would just come to me out of nowhere. I've learned how to 'jump-start' my Ne almost...of course, I didn't know what Ne was when I was a child. But jump-starting my Ne involves 'brainstorming', however awkward it really is for me. I've done that most often for school projects and essays. For instance, if I have to write an essay but had no idea what to write on the subject, writing a few disconnected sentences usually gets my Ne going.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I just have NO PROBLEM whatsoever brainstorming. And I love to be given a set of rules (a system if you will) that makes it harder, or that I can circumvent or trumph in some way. My problem is letting go of a dozen great ideas everyday since I have better ones not being realized, that I wish done first. Of course, then I forget about the new ones. I do write some down in a book just in case....

I have been working in advertising and creative work since .... since forever. So it suits me just fine. Coming up with ideas is as good as sex....:)

·
11,928 Posts
My problem is letting go of a dozen great ideas everyday since I have better ones not being realized, that I wish done first. Of course, then I forget about the new ones. I do write some down in a book just in case....
OMG, I feel you. And I never say 'I feel you'. This is a special occasion.

EDIT: That sounds dirty...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Brainstorming is a group activity by definition, and I think that it simply speeds up a process of group development. Not apparently the point of this question, really, but I'll try to explain.

I use Ne instinctively and a lot. It isn't at its best when I am alone, but only requires a word or two from someone else to start really motoring, and the ideas and connections can then come very fast. The real value of a brainstorming session, if it is an effective one, is to get lots of ideas out, and for the group to both stimulate those ideas from the people that can create them (the Ne users), and to put them in perspective if needed. We like to think Ti is enough for perspective but it only allows us to see the idea in the context of its internal consistency, and not necessarily in terms of its ease of comprehension or its acceptance in the workplace or society, or its achievability for which other views (Se, Fe/Fi/Si, Te) are needed.....

...thus ideas can be reframed to be much more functional by the input of those who aren't actually forming them, but might be using them.

Not sure where Ni lies in this. Probably in the listening and then right at the end coming up with the mind-blowing adaptation of everything everyone else has said to something truly awesome....

...perhaps what interests me the most about these sessions is that the people who come out thinking they have done clever things are often not the people who have done the clever things. Perhaps just my slight bitterness at being a rapid-thinking idea generator in a monolithic organisation which is the biggest dead weight in the universe......:tongue:
....the ideas that can come out of brainstorming may have been put there by people who are interested in the idea, in making the thing work, or may have been put there for political or personal agenda, with subgroiups constructed and questions posed exactly in order to achieve set objectives and let people imagine they have been part of the decision making process......

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
...perhaps what interests me the most about these sessions is that the people who come out thinking they have done clever things are often not the people who have done the clever things. Perhaps just my slight bitterness at being a rapid-thinking idea generator in a monolithic organisation which is the biggest dead weight in the universe......:tongue:
....the ideas that can come out of brainstorming may have been put there by people who are interested in the idea, in making the thing work, or may have been put there for political or personal agenda, with subgroiups constructed and questions posed exactly in order to achieve set objectives and let people imagine they have been part of the decision making process......
Yes... Some just like to take credit. They can imagine that they controlled the meeting where the ideas surfaced, and thus it is their doing that the great ideas emanated. We know better....;-)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The difference is that Ne is a non-forced process, whereas brainstorming is active.
I also find it funny that when I do try to actively brainstorm, I often come up with nothing but shit...

When you brainstorm, you often have a specific objective. Ne has no specific objective or destination.
Thinking more about my own internal processes, I see unconscious use of Ne as a way to come up with all manner of ideas, thoughts, and concepts and, when one comes along that really strikes me or is relevant to my interests/projects/issues at hand then I can consciously use Ti to pare it down, test it out and make it more form-fitting to what I'm looking for. Or just completely set it aside or use it in another manner.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts