Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ISTP here.
I was wondering about the nature of extraverted intuition. I see a lot of people going around and calling Ne "brainstorming" but I don't know if that sounds accurate.
Is Ne and the process of brainstorming the same thing? I'm ISTP and I occasionally find myself brainstorming in a convergent way.

When I'm trying to be creative, I sometimes take two concepts, merge them together in a way that fits logically, and make one concept out of them. Is this really Extraverted Intuition or can other processes do this as well?

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
ISTP here.
I was wondering about the nature of extraverted intuition. I see a lot of people going around and calling Ne "brainstorming" but I don't know if that sounds accurate.
Is Ne and the process of brainstorming the same thing? I'm ISTP and I occasionally find myself brainstorming in a convergent way.

When I'm trying to be creative, I sometimes take two concepts, merge them together in a way that fits logically, and make one concept out of them. Is this really Extraverted Intuition or can other processes do this as well?
1. Brainstorming is a very accurate representation of Ne.
2. Ne is divergent. It generates new ideas by seeing intuitive connections between a current idea and another one. The ideas are objective and not based on subjective impressions. (because that's Ni's realm)
3. Brainstorming is never convergent. If you're converging on one idea, you're not brainstorming. Brainstorming is the exact opposite of converging. It's diverging.
4. I don't know what you're talking about. Need an example.

·
Not a Robot
2,152 Posts
ISTP here.

It's a lot like what @emberfly said. It's a divergent process. One thought, idea or connection multiplies and you can see many possibilities and meanings at the same time.

I hesitate to call it brainstorming though. I think of brainstorming as a purposeful and controlled act. You want a particular outcome/solution so you think of various things to reach that solution. Ne doesn't care for specific solutions. It doesn't look for anything in particular. It also doesn't merge concepts; it compares them.

If you are trying to solve a problem with Ne, you may get a solution to your problem, you may get some useless solutions to your problem, you may stumble across your new favorite architect and you may figure out why Douglas Adams chose 42.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a lot like what @emberfly said. It's a divergent process. One thought, idea or connection multiplies and you can see many possibilities and meanings at the same time.

I hesitate to call it brainstorming though. I think of brainstorming as a purposeful and controlled act. You want a particular outcome/solution so you think of various things to reach that solution. Ne doesn't care for specific solutions. It doesn't look for anything in particular. It also doesn't merge concepts; it compares them.

If you are trying to solve a problem with Ne, you may get a solution to your problem, you may get some useless solutions to your problem, you may stumble across your new favorite architect and you may figure out why Douglas Adams chose 42.
This clears it up a lot for me. Thanks @emberfly and @s2theizay!

See, for me, it's definitely a conscious and controlled act.If I don't tell me myself to do it, there's no way I will.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
2. Ne is divergent. It generates new ideas by seeing intuitive connections between a current idea and another one. The ideas are objective and not based on subjective impressions. (because that's Ni's realm)
3. Brainstorming is never convergent. If you're converging on one idea, you're not brainstorming. Brainstorming is the exact opposite of converging. It's diverging.
I don't wholly agree. I would say it's more accurate of Ne+ than Ne-, but even so, "brainstorming" doesn't quite encompass all that Ne is. It's a decent way of explaining Ne, sure.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The OP asked about the nature of Ne though. Brainstorming isn't really the nature of Ne, it is merely sometimes a result. Virtually anyone can brainstorm but that doesn't mean they're employing Ne. The nature of it is more along the lines of the intuitive eye out for potential. Brainstorming as a representation of this? Eh, maybe really vaguely....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts