Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to sort out a little issue I have here without being completely biased towards my position in said issues.

Situation:I have two ENFP friends that seem complete opposites of each other at times. Both seem very happy, friendly and personable people. One of these people I have been friends with for many years now, the other I have recently met a couple of months ago. The first person which I will now refer to as "buddy", is constantly happy and basically high on life, she is willing to do a lot of things, unless her ridiculous guilt complex kicks in (she herself has confirmed it is evil). The second person who I will refer to as "friend" is also very friendly in person, but tends to attack me as a person when he is frustrated.

"buddy", "friend", and I play a game together online, we have mutual friends online that we know. These friends are real life friends, and tend to gravitate towards "buddy" more than "friend". Now when we hand out together (we have only a few times due to scheduling issues) both are very friendly, and give the high on life feel that just draws you in, however, "friend" has this thing about him. He tends to get very emotional when criticized, but constantly attempts to attack people (in terms of pointing out flaws) then justifies it as defense. On multiple occasions he has told me to more or less stop being myself because it was annoying (being modest, reserved, not wanting the spotlight on me).

My question: Are there extreme sides to the ENFP personality? I met "buddy" frist, and assumed that most ENFPs would be similar to her in the sense of being emotional, peace-loving, personable and friendly. However, I am coming to see through "friend" that there is a large gap that I have come to see between "friend" and "buddy's" personalities.
Another question is it more likely to find an ENFP along the lines of friend or buddy? I know people are different due to the basics like upbringing, temperament, and such, but I mean statistically which would be more likely for me meet.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
You won't find 2 ENFP exactly the same, just like you won't find 2 of any type the same. We're all individuals first and foremost, regardless of type , 2 people won't behave the same. Example, there are many ENFP here at PerC. I might identify myself with some personality traits with a few, others i don't have much in common with at all. So to answer your question, no two ENFP will ever be the same.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Yep - type is just a piece of fruit. Experience chops it up or smashes it or juices it, environment places it in a pie crust or a glass or a bowl. You have some essence of the original fruit, but 2 different kinds of pies can end up resembling each other more than an apple pie resembles apple cider.

There's also enneagram, which is essentially motivation. >.> 20 people in the same movie theater can have 20 different reasons for being there....same destination, different motivation.

·
Registered
825 Posts
On my good days, I'm "buddy". When I was younger and more unhealthy, I was like "friend". If a person rubs me the wrong way who I constantly have to deal with, I can definitely act like "friend" toward them, but usually, I just act as "buddy" to avoid showing my bad sides.

It really depends on the person because different people bring out different sides of me.

Also, to people I don't really know well, I put my best foot forward and act like "buddy".

My closer friends have seen me as both "buddy" and "friend" depending on my mood, my emotional stability (if life's good for me or if I'm going through tough times), and my self-esteem. When my self-esteem is low, I'm definitely in "friend" mode. I might take criticism and sarcasm personally and it might hurt me pretty badly if I believe it enough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"Friend" may have issues like depression that make him more negative in general. He might be less happy in life, have lower self esteem from childhood, etc etc. I know when I'm on the wrong medicine, I act like "Friend." When I'm on the right medicine, I am more happy like "Buddy." I also second the Enneagram thing, because I'm a lot lower energy than other ENFPs on the forum ... they are E7 but I am E6.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ENFP's have a wide range. But yeah, everyone pretty much said it already: We're all individuals.

We all just tend to process information the same way and have the same outlook on people and life. Let's just say we're all balls of clay -- we all start out the same, as ENFP's, and then different experiences make dents and shapes the ball of clay... the end result is that no ball of clay is the same, although they are all same in some way as well. :p That's my look on it anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts