Personality Cafe banner

Question for ENFP's type 6

[ENFP] 
13K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Kintsugi 
#1 ·
How would you describe how type 6 works with you combined with being an ENFP?

What aspects of your life are affected by being type 6?

What do you think of the descriptions of type 6?

I am type 6 but it was causing me confusion about being an ENFP, so I am interested in what your personal experience is like.

#2 ·
What do you exactly think conflicts for you?

For me, the influence type 6 gives me is (social) uncertainty. While I am an outgowing person who (as far as I know, looks confident from the outside), I worry a lot inside. I can feel alone quite fast, which I think is triggered by being a type 6. I actually made a topic about that over at the type 6 forum.

The description of type 6 for me is overly depressing, it sounds like there is no real upside on being one. Still, i think the anxiety helps with not jumping into every (possibly bad) opportunites. Mm, not sure if this helps you though.

#3 ·
I feel blessed and cursed for being a type 6. Anxieties..extreme insecurity..objective pessimism completely clashes with my ENFPish nature. Sometimes I wish, I was more happy about life, but I can't hideaway from the bitter truth which the world has shown me. Being a 6w5 makes me less emotional and sensitive, and even when my sensitive side gets visible, I can literally kill that. But the sad part is, most of the times I stay cynical and depressed and more when I think of me and this world. My nature is melancholic, I was more bubbly when I was younger, but I can sense that I'm slowly loosing my happy side as I'm growing up. In my opinion, being a type a 6 and an ENFP is definitely not a great match, but it makes me mature much quicker.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone. I relate to nearly all of this.
I feel blessed and cursed for being a type 6. Anxieties..extreme insecurity..objective pessimism completely clashes with my ENFPish nature. Sometimes I wish, I was more happy about life, but I can't hideaway from the bitter truth which the world has shown me. Being a 6w5 makes me less emotional and sensitive, and even when my sensitive side gets visible, I can literally kill that. But the sad part is, most of the times I stay cynical and depressed and more when I think of me and this world. My nature is melancholic, I was more bubbly when I was younger, but I can sense that I'm slowly loosing my happy side as I'm growing up. In my opinion, being a type a 6 and an ENFP is definitely not a great match, but it makes me mature much quicker.
This describes me in a lot of ways, mostly just in the melancholic nature. Also I was really energetic when and optimistic when I was younger too. I actually have bipolar 2, which I think began to originate from the type 6 enneagram in general + being ENFP. I believe that combination did it for me. Yeah, but I have this interesting way that I feel about life. It's very bittersweet. I get really excited internally about some things, but at the same time really nervous about other things. I don't consider myself an optimist or pessimist, or even a realist. I feel emotions inside and don't necessarily make judgements on them all the time. I think my anxieties have made more of a quiet person, but I'm known to do some outrageous things that seem odd to other people who assume I'm really introverted. A lot of people can't really figure out my personality.

I think it overplays the 6s anxiety and fears waaaaaay too much. Their sample size was probably primarily phobic 6s and primarily 6w7s. Which is different from the 6w5 and the counterphobic, especially depending on the variant stackings.

:happy:
I relate to most of what you said in this post. What do you know about the differences between 6w5 and 6w7? That's one thing I'm not entirely sure of.
I think it often feels like a battle in my core. I want to love, but I struggle with trust. I like to be carefree, but I crave stability. I worry immensely and always feel like it is me against the world. It is definitely a strange combination; to be so happy yet so dark at the same time. Light versus dark is my internal battle.

Everything is affected by being type 6. I've had to work on building trust and finding what comforts me to curb the anxiety and worry. I don't necessarily find the description too depressing but it definitely seem to have more battles with consistency issues. I believe finding a cause to support helps build trust and loyalty.
And I am identical to this. It's like something I could have said myself.

#7 ·
I think it often feels like a battle in my core. I want to love, but I struggle with trust. I like to be carefree, but I crave stability. I worry immensely and always feel like it is me against the world. It is definitely a strange combination; to be so happy yet so dark at the same time. Light versus dark is my internal battle.

Everything is affected by being type 6. I've had to work on building trust and finding what comforts me to curb the anxiety and worry. I don't necessarily find the description too depressing but it definitely seem to have more battles with consistency issues. I believe finding a cause to support helps build trust and loyalty.

#8 · (Edited)

Well, Ne+6w5 is a really powerful combination. It allows me to see all the possibilities in everything and everyone so no one or nothing ever goes underestimated. Not for one second. I also have a more developed Te because of it. I also use Ti and Ni quite a bit as well, though not as much as the NTJs do. Im also not very emotional. Im more stoic when it comes to serious situations and only use Fi in instances that pertain to me. I don't use my internal value system and apply it to situations that include other people and require objectivity.

Being type 6 has honestly benefited my life more than anything. Ive always said that I have a heightened awareness of my environment at all times, so I can see potential pitfalls or problems before they arise. Its like just knowing that something is going to happen and preparing for it or taking care of it before the time arrives.

I also used to have really bad anxiety when I was a kid, and tried to run away and hide from it, but over time I ended up building a very thick skin because of it. Now, I can pretty much handle anything. I collect "blue prints" of situations. So, once i've been through something, I acquire a new way of handling that situation. Not to say I'll handle it the exact same way next time, but I have information to contribute to another situation should it arise in the future.

Also, being type 6 has help me to really understand people and see them who they are completely. I don't take people at face value and upon initially meeting them, I instantly start to probe deeper and deeper. I also have a pretty good awareness of other peoples motives and intentions. Im also an excellent judge of character. If you're a good person, I will notice it instantly, and if you're a rat, theres no point in trying to hide because I can sniff those out as well.

I've read that 6w5 can will uphold their beliefs even if its not popular and I definitely agreed with that. I will stand my ground on something if I believe in it. I don't care how many people are against me. It also give me confidence. After a while, you get used to people disagreeing and you just stop caring about it. I certainly don't care anymore.

I also tend to follow my head alot and it always leads me in the right direction, even if that direction is different then other peoples. For example, people might say that doing X thing won't warrant you results (usually its because everyone else says so), but I can see the benefit in doing it and after doing it, I reep those benefits. Doors open from me following my own path, so I'll go against the grain because it feels right and it will end up working out. Its kind of like a door opening up, and everyone is too busy all trying to go into the same door, but I run into that one and it ends up benefiting me. Things have worked out so well for me. Im not afraid to take a risk and do something different/be something different.

Anecdote: I majored in International Studies in college. Yea, one of those "useless" degrees. But by following my gut, and pursing this degree, I had to choose a language, and ended up choosing Korean. Now, when I graduate in a few months, I'll be moving to south Korea for a few years to teach and learn the language fluently. After this, I'll be able to become a translator. Its a pretty wide open field that offers a lot of variety and I know I won't get bored with it. If I work my ass off, I can make quite a bit of money doing it. I can also be my own boss. I don't like being married to a company or job. So, in pursing that degree that others thought was worthless, Im going to be able to travel, learn and be free. So, while everyone else is trying to fight over the jobs that are slowly being outsourced, or are flooded with applicants, I'll be travelling around East Asia.

I think it overplays the 6s anxiety and fears waaaaaay too much. Their sample size was probably primarily phobic 6s and primarily 6w7s. Which is different from the 6w5 and the counterphobic, especially depending on the variant stackings.

I am type 6 but it was causing me confusion about being an ENFP, so I am interested in what your personal experience is like.

​A type 6 ENFP is different then all the other ENFPs. As you can see based on the ENFP enneagram list, most of the ENFPs here aren't 6s. Lol, Im actually pleasantly surprised to be stumbling across all the 6w5s. I never knew you guys existed. Yaaaaaaaaay. :happy:

#13 ·

Well, Ne+6w5 is a really powerful combination. It allows me to see all the possibilities in everything and everyone so no one or nothing ever goes underestimated. Not for one second. I also have a more developed Te because of it. I also use Ti and Ni quite a bit as well, though not as much as the NTJs do. Im also not very emotional. Im more stoic when it comes to serious situations and only use Fi in instances that pertain to me. I don't use my internal value system and apply it to situations that include other people and require objectivity.

Being type 6 has honestly benefited my life more than anything. Ive always said that I have a heightened awareness of my environment at all times, so I can see potential pitfalls or problems before they arise. Its like just knowing that something is going to happen and preparing for it or taking care of it before the time arrives.

I also used to have really bad anxiety when I was a kid, and tried to run away and hide from it, but over time I ended up building a very thick skin because of it. Now, I can pretty much handle anything. I collect "blue prints" of situations. So, once i've been through something, I acquire a new way of handling that situation. Not to say I'll handle it the exact same way next time, but I have information to contribute to another situation should it arise in the future.

Also, being type 6 has help me to really understand people and see them who they are completely. I don't take people at face value and upon initially meeting them, I instantly start to probe deeper and deeper. I also have a pretty good awareness of other peoples motives and intentions. Im also an excellent judge of character. If you're a good person, I will notice it instantly, and if you're a rat, theres no point in trying to hide because I can sniff those out as well.

I've read that 6w5 can will uphold their beliefs even if its not popular and I definitely agreed with that. I will stand my ground on something if I believe in it. I don't care how many people are against me. It also give me confidence. After a while, you get used to people disagreeing and you just stop caring about it. I certainly don't care anymore.

I also tend to follow my head alot and it always leads me in the right direction, even if that direction is different then other peoples. For example, people might say that doing X thing won't warrant you results (usually its because everyone else says so), but I can see the benefit in doing it and after doing it, I reep those benefits. Doors open from me following my own path, so I'll go against the grain because it feels right and it will end up working out. Its kind of like a door opening up, and everyone is too busy all trying to go into the same door, but I run into that one and it ends up benefiting me. Things have worked out so well for me. Im not afraid to take a risk and do something different/be something different.

Anecdote: I majored in International Studies in college. Yea, one of those "useless" degrees. But by following my gut, and pursing this degree, I had to choose a language, and ended up choosing Korean. Now, when I graduate in a few months, I'll be moving to south Korea for a few years to teach and learn the language fluently. After this, I'll be able to become a translator. Its a pretty wide open field that offers a lot of variety and I know I won't get bored with it. It I work my ass off, I can make quite a bit of money doing it. I can also be my own boss. I don't like being married to a company or job. So, in pursing that degree that others thought was worthless, Im going to be able to travel, learn and be free. So, while everyone else is trying to fight over the jobs that are slowly being outsourced, or are flooded with applicants, I'll be travelling around East Asia.

​A type 6 ENFP is different then all the other ENFPs. As you can see based on the ENFP enneagram list, most of the ENFPs here aren't 6s. Lol, Im actually pleasantly surprised to be stumbling across all the 6w5s. I never knew you guys existed. Yaaaaaaaaay. :happy:
Wow, amazing posting . I have nothing to add to this, you said it all. Thanks for sharing the good, bad and ugly ;)

#11 ·
I don't think you're alone being a 6, there are more ENFP here that are anxious at their core than they care to admit. Being a 6 doesn't boost my Si or Fe behaviours, it actually brings out my Te/Ne. I'm living proof that being a 6 doesn't increase Fe Lol in any sense of the word, if anything it decreases it :D

#12 ·
I kind of like being the way I am (6w7), because I'm never caught unexpected. When events happen, or are about to happen, I get glimpses of what can go wrong, but also what can go well. For the most part, I don't have the stereotypical anxiety. I would consider myself a pretty healthy 6 (meaning I become a 9, I think?). The only generally bad part I can think of is, I always feel like I'm in a bit of trouble when someone calls my name.

If I let the anxiety and suspicion get into my head, it's extremely hard for me to get back on my feet. Getting into a close relationship/getting attached usually makes me go insane, which is why I try to avoid it. My mind spins with endless what-ifs, will start thinking the person is just pretending to be nice to me, etc.

#17 ·
I can relate with that. When i met my husband i questioned " Why" what did he see in me, was he just being nice by saying all those sweet things. I remember getting anxious when he would invite me to special events, again questioning the why's. Was i insecure thinking about all the women he could have, yet he wanted me, you bet i was. I imagined him leaving me with people i didn't know, yet he never gave any signs he would ever do such a thing. I feel anxious when i don't have control over future situations or circumstances. I've come a long way since then, that was 10 years ago, i feel like i have better control over not getting so worked up over circumstances i have no control over. I don't think anxiety ever really goes away thou, i can' feel it in the pit of my stomach even when i have nothing to be anxious about.

#20 ·
Oh boy, it makes my Ne go CRAAAAAZY. I joke that I could have written those worst-case scenario books. It makes me more prone to psychological ailments and I've suffered from major depression episodes in the past and also have anxiety issues. I was as a teen diagnosed as bipolar because of my "mood swings" going from the depression/anxiety state to my normal bubbly silly state, and to therapists who had never seen me outside of my depression (and I didn't know about MBTI at the time to see that this *manic* behavior was actually normal), assumed this behavior was hypomania. So I guess in short it sometimes masks and sometimes exemplifies my ENFPness. I think it makes my Ne even more aware to possibilities, outcomes, and consequences.

It also has made and makes relationships difficult. I find that I am constantly questioning things and people, especially when relationships are still undefined. I question their every word, their every move, their every motive.

One thing I do notice though, is that I am probably considered a fairly developed type 6, in that I am able to rise above my fears with courage, and am a very resilient person despite some of the hardships I have endured. I'm also a so/sx 6w7, so I think that might help in that I am much more outgoing and outward than a 6w5 who retreats into themselves. It makes the fact that ENFPs rely heavily on their friends to gauge their decisions very strong.

#22 ·
It's good to know I'm not the only one!

Being a type 6 makes you painfully aware of all of your faults. I've always assumed I was crazy, but in an odd way I'm very responsible. Typical ENFP stereotypes need not apply when it comes to balancing a check book, having a functioning car, and a clean apartment.

However, I view anxiety as a sign of me putting off something I need to get done. I do my best to take care of my life crisises before they become problems.

Not knocking anyone with anxiety problems, but I've been down the shrink and ssri route. The only way I was able to get the panic attacks to stop was to acknowledge it as being apart of me and doing healthy things to stop it. I was diagnosed a handful of times as ebeing depressed and manic. To me the labels meant I lacked self control. I've done a lot to try and change that.

Not knocking anyone with a mental disorder. Best of luck in your efforts, but I like taking control of my destiny hence my adament approach to overcoming this.

And yeah being a 6 is awesome. You see 98% of the BS and the naïve people who get used by it all. Dog eat dog, and I'm a cat!
Post in the 6 forum if you're going through some tough times. We're all a relativly direct and caring group :)

#23 ·
I'm beginning to seriously question if I am a Type 6 instead of 7...

I relate to the descriptions of both 6w7 and 7w6. I have suffered from periods of anxiety/depression throughout my life - I have no idea if this is an intrinsic part of who I am - or if it is a result of traumatic emotional experiences.

It's very difficult to work out because of the online sources that describe Type 6 as being rather 'pessimistic.' I don't relate to this entirely - I would say I am an optimistic person who has developed a tendency for negative thinking patterns due to various different reasons...
This is confusing! :confused:

#29 ·
I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE! :unsure:

After some reflection and deep introspection; I have started considering again that I may actually be 7w6 not 6w7...

It's a difficult decision for me to make because there are so many factors that could explain why I have certain fears/anxieties. People generally describe me as very enthusiastic, positive, and bubbly. I would say I am more prone to trying to 'forget' about my anxieties through avoidance and 'positive thinking.' Having said this; in recent years, I have had to force myself to confront certain issues/fears/anxiety - this has resulted in me feeling more like a Type 6.

Question to all type 6's: How do you deal with your anxiety? I understand there is the 'phobic' and 'counterphobic' subtypes. Do you guys tend to face your fears head on - or do you try and avoid them? If so, how do you go about doing this?

I think there should be a Type 11 on the enneagram - "The Freak-of-Nature" (Cleary the system is NOT Kooky-proof :crazy:)

#30 · (Edited)
Well, others have answered this question well. I am actually a phobic 6w7 Sp/So. I think many ENFPs would say they swing between counterphobic and phobic, or are simply counterphobic. But I'm most definitely phobic. On the outside I look calm and fairly "go with the flow", very easy going. That's why I initially mistyped as a 9w1.

I think because I'm a Six, I have a side of me that looks like the exact opposite of what some people think when they think ENFP. ENFPs are seen as really enthusiastic type Sevens who jump into things, and by all means they can be. But not me. The phobic 6w7 makes me more cautious, a bit more nervous. I'm anxious, of course, driven by anxiety, but as I've explained, it's not anxiety as most people think of it. It is hyper awareness. I am hyper aware of things in general. Problems, things that could happen, so many of those possibilities. This world is unsure and not predictable, and I'm highly aware of that. Painfully aware. So I tread carefully. Simple as that. I don't "jump" into things all that easily. Ne can highlight this.

I think, also, being a Six has made me painfully aware of myself. At least, in my case, this could be because I have a very strong 1w9 gut fix. I am constantly searching for myself. I must be aware of my emotions at all times. I must be aware of every flaw within myself. I must be aware of all different perspectives. Being blind to any of these things is an idea that absolutely frightens me. Ne + Fi + 6w7.

I am more introverted than other ENFPs, which sounds quite odd considering ENFPs are already considered the most Introverted of the Extroverts. For me, I feel like the absolute right-down-the-middle perfect balance of Introvert and Extrovert. However, my Ne does somehow manage to come out before my Fi, so there we have it.

I am more mellow, more laid back. I often feel guilt and shame. I hate to disappoint others. I try and empathize with everybody. The must see things from different perspectives all time actually makes me extremely non-judgmental to a fault. O_O I end up being a bit of a pushover. I will forgive countless times when betrayed. I sympathize with the enemies. My sister comments that I am determined to see the good in everything. I suppose this could be true. I am an optimistic person. Take that, pessimistic Six stereotype!

Well, that sounds like a good little trait, but it can also be bad and reveal rather selfish aspects about myself. Because I am easily submissive and show people "Hey, I mean no harm, see?" it actually makes me kind of manipulative, and that's a trait I'm not proud of. So there's the weakness. x3

I am definitely proud to be a Six. Sixes are one of the most brave, in my opinion, types of the Enneagram.

#31 ·
I am definitely proud to be a Six. Sixes are one of the most brave, in my opinion, types of the Enneagram.
I agree with this, definitely....

Part of me actually wants to be a 6 because I do see their so-called 'weaknesses' as strengths. I have a feeling though, that I might be a 7. It's taken me a long time to face big issues in my life - I'm wondering if this is more a 7 than a 6 trait?

Either way; I think I have a strong 7 or 6 wing - whatever type I am

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.