Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Feel free to answer even if you're not an INFP. I was just particularly interested how other INFPs might answer considering I suspect they may experience similar problems.)

I'm particularly wondering how you guys motivate yourselves to get stuff done and if you had any advice. This particularly applies to getting things done that you really don't want to do but know you have to. I've always had problems with procrastination, and it's getting to especially be a problem now that I'm in college.

Also, do you find yourself quitting something that you actually want to do partway through because you lose interest or just can't follow through for some reason? I occasionally like to write (nothing of actual value though, just for fun) but rarely get very far. I have a lot of ideas for stories that interest me, but I usually can't get myself to take the time to actually flesh out the details. I think part of it is not wanting to commit to any one idea. It's hard to solidify something that you see so many possibilities in. Part of it also might just be laziness to some extent. I'm interested if anyone feels the same, and also if you have any solutions.

Also, on more of an unrelated note, do you ever just get tired of being trapped inside your own head? Sometimes, I can go days without leaving the house or really having a good conversation with someone. Lately I find myself getting really introspective and getting caught up in my own thoughts, maybe just because I have too much free time. After a while it gets exhausting and even somewhat depressing. Then I'll feel like I need to talk to someone, but at the same time feel too tired to do so. Or sometimes, I will try to reach out and talk to a friend, not particularly about how I'm feeling, I'll just wanna talk to someone else, even if it's just chatting about small things, but rarely get any real relief from it. I don't know, does anyone else do this, or have a solution?

TL;DR version - How do you motivate yourself? Do you ever feel trapped inside your own head, and what do you do about it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
These are certainly INFP predicaments, I can relate to all of those points.

With motivation, we live in a society where a large focus is placed on being goal oriented and highly motivated at all times. While some people seem to be constantly motivated and energetic, no person can be always motivated, all of the time. This is particularly obvious for us INFPs because our extroverted intuition continuously has us exploring new ideas and future possibilities however we are only moved to action on the very few of those ideas that resonate with our deepest authentic values and desires according to our introverted feeling. And it takes time to get there.

This translates into having hundreds of ideas bubble up in the mind over a long period of time, with some that resonate more deeply with us coming up more and more. Over time the ones that resonate most deeply are automatically fleshed out almost in the subconscious until one day something goes *click* and you are moved to action. Have you ever had an idea about for a new project or a life decision that has bubbled away under the surface almost without you noticing it and then one day you wake up and you know exactly what you want to do, then you just do it. And it does not even feel like an effort. That is authentic motivation.

For me, it was about giving myself space for my ideas to kind of ferment over time, knowing that when I am ready to take action the motivation will be there. It was about not feeling pressured by the societal demand that we be highly energetic and motivated at all times, giving me the space to make decisions in my own way. It feels good to make a decision like this, because it comes from the deepest part of who I am and with a knowledge that there is nothing else that I want to do other than this.

Sometimes if I have quit something half way through, it is because I forced myself to start action on an idea before I knew whether it was what I really wanted to do.

Motivation for mundane day-to-day tasks can also be challenging but again I give myself space and time and know that I will get the assignment done in time because I like the course and want to pass it and my deepest authentic desire is to get the qualification that I am pursuing. Or to know that I will do the cleaning because I like living in a clean house and authentically enjoy the result of the cleaning (even if I didn't entirely enjoy the cleaning, however I can put in headphones and listen to an awesomely interesting podcast while I do the cleaning so its not so bad).

I imagine you may procrastinate but get your assignments in on time, even if at the last minute. Do you study at the last minute after procrastinating and pass the exam anyway? It's ok to procrastinate if that's when you will find your authentic motivation.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
TL;DR version - How do you motivate yourself?
Make a plan and try to stick to it. For example, plan that "Im going to study from this time to this time." and then actually study as well. I dont relate that much to not finishing something because I see so many ways it could turn out that I dont want to just choose one, Im pretty much the opposite :D I generate one vision that I think is best and then follow it, tweak it if necessary, and thats it.

Chances are the subject wont completely kill you with boredom and your mind is just being lazy and not wanting to do work, you need to call that bluff. Ive nearly always found that after putting shit off for months that I actually like doing the homework or studying the subject.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I relate a lot to this! If I was totally free with deadline and all, I would take some time to do projects so in a way I liek deadline because the constrains force me to make something. I have a lot of classes and if I want to focus and make a good project i follow a few steps:

I start as early as possible
I meditate and follow my intuition (creatively)
I get inspired by things around me
Try to remove anything superficial that will distract me, so it can be hanging around less people, or not taking extra tasks/work..
I need to follow a routine though, to be organized and keep my space clean otherwise the clutter hinders me and stresses me
Also saving time for myself is important so I try to not pack too much things in one day and it's ok if I end up relaxing a bit too much with friends, if I planned well I will stay on track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts