Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and I had a question for the ISTJ's (whom I admire as an INFP lol). I believe my older brother is an ISTJ but I need to resolve this for our own edification...there are times where he is completely impulsive with many decisions big and small. Is this an ISTJ trait? Or more ISTP? My SO is an ISTP and they just don't seem too much alike...

Thanks!
PerceiverKiki <3

·
Registered
107 Posts
I mean personally there are TIMES when I'm impulsive, but it is very rare and is definitely NOT a common ISTJ trait. ISTJ's are one of the most "plan oriented" types out there, so (usually) no decision is made without deep thought. This doesn't necessarily mean that your older brother isn't an ISTJ, most of us don't fit our types perfectly, however impulsive decision making is not an ISTJ trait at all.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and I had a question for the ISTJ's (whom I admire as an INFP lol). I believe my older brother is an ISTJ but I need to resolve this for our own edification...there are times where he is completely impulsive with many decisions big and small. Is this an ISTJ trait? Or more ISTP? My SO is an ISTP and they just don't seem too much alike...

Thanks!
PerceiverKiki <3
Another thing to add, have you considered that he may not be as impulsive as you think? I don't go around telling people my plans and when I do things they may think I'm being impulsive. That's a thought question for you, please don't start listing specifics. I'm trying to keep the time I spend online to a reasonable amount, I won't be going into a detailed discussion of specifics as temping as that is.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My best friend is ISTJ and I have never known her to be impulsive. I do agree with what @Daniel_James_Maher said, though. My cousin (who is actually INTJ...) just got a tattoo recently. Since we talk a fair amount and she had never mentioned it before, I was more than mildly surprised thinking her decision to have been impulsive. She told me later she had been thinking about it for months playing with placement and designs in her mind without telling anyone (so they wouldn't talk her out of it). What I had seen to be impulsive was in reality quite well thought out and planned. I just hadn't seen the planning process in her head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am a pretty even mix between an ISTJ and ISFJ, but I think my ISTJ side applies here even though I most often resort to being a feeler. For the most part, I very much dislike being impulsive...and when I think I am about acting impulsively, my mind corrects me by reminding me how much I hated the aftermath of my last impulsive decision. I like to have a plan and stick to it. I think a thing to note and ask your brother about is how comfortable does he feel AFTER making the impulsive decision? If an ISTJ makes an impulsive decision, they usually regret making the decisions (sometimes even when the outcomes are positive) because it made them feel uncomfortable to do so (and we don't like being pushed out of our comfort zone). But as I said before, acting impuslively doesn't mean he isn't an ISTJ, I just wouldn't expect him to do it often and would not at all expect him to act impulsively on life decisions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts