Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things can be too black and white. I have a handle on all the types. I want to know Ni's everything and your experience with it.

Me:

• Listening to classical music helps.
  • Doing things without my contacts or glasses is fun and caters to my Ni.
  • Not taking people's advice on the field and just playing soccer how I want is fun and Ni driven.
  • When I was a kid I was destructive and trashed the bathroom completely when I was upset. That was an F-U to sensing.
  • When my hormones are out the wazoo, sometimes the only thing I want to do is touch people. What I do and where I go with it is ALL Ni driven. That's Fe activity too.
  • Staying up late and letting the effects of sleep deprivation happen helps.

So? and thanks.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I think of an issue and try to go even DEEPER.

Goodbye living in the moment or realizing what is happening around me. Clearly the moment is meant to be experienced later.

No innate irony or impossibility there.

*Facepalm*

·
Registered
282 Posts
Building decks in card games like Magic: The Gathering or Universal Fighting System. Seeing and connecting how everything works together, then building it into a system. I think it helps develop Ni and Ti quite a bit. It's fun to just BUILD decks. I don't play too often really.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not gonna lie. I think to myself: "What would Yoda do." Something something absolutes something something Darkside something.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sometimes what I'll do is lay down with the fan on (love the sound when it's quiet) and think of a person/people, a culture, and a place all unrelated and try to find a hypothetical situation in which they can all come together. Sometimes it's tricky but at the end I'm able to put these seemingly unrelated puzzle pieces into something harmonious and coherent.

Haha I'm not sure if I'm even making sense but basically putting pieces of a puzzle together in my head that don't at first look like they fit together.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Sometimes what I'll do is lay down with the fan on (love the sound when it's quiet) and think of a person/people, a culture, and a place all unrelated and try to find a hypothetical situation in which they can all come together. Sometimes it's tricky but at the end I'm able to put these seemingly unrelated puzzle pieces into something harmonious and coherent.

Haha I'm not sure if I'm even making sense but basically putting pieces of a puzzle together in my head that don't at first look like they fit together.
That sounds so cool! I feel like I used to do that stuff a lot more when I was younger. When I could actually get myself to stop thinking about everything I have to do for a second. :]

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
  • Doing things without my contacts or glasses is fun and caters to my Ni.
lol. It's fun for about ten seconds for me. Like, "Look at all the fuzzy people and lights!"

Or, I wonder what people thought who existed before glasses, they must have perceived the world in a whole different way from everyone else....I wonder if they would know that they saw things differently?

Then I realize I really like being able to see and I put my glasses back on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That sounds so cool! I feel like I used to do that stuff a lot more when I was younger. When I could actually get myself to stop thinking about everything I have to do for a second. :]
Haha thank you! Clearing your mind can be tricky but that's a big reason I use ambient noise and just try to relax and enjoy some serenity. Maybe listening to calm music like the op or looking at abstract artwork could help you if you wanted to give it a go?

I feel like when it comes to that stuff everyone's different and we all have our own mechanisms for finding inner peace, even if it's only temporary. :)

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Haha thank you! Clearing your mind can be tricky but that's a big reason I use ambient noise and just try to relax and enjoy some serenity. Maybe listening to calm music like the op or looking at abstract artwork could help you if you wanted to give it a go?

I feel like when it comes to that stuff everyone's different and we all have our own mechanisms for finding inner peace, even if it's only temporary. :)
I agree, and that stuff is really important. I think everyone needs to take more time for that in their daily lives. Especially if they are an overly analytical person anyways.

As for me, I actually really like journaling in a stream of conscious fashion or listening to soft acoustic music and just sketching in my notebook, especially when I'm feeling all locked up inside. It just completely calms me. :] I'd like to get more into yoga and that stuff, but I am the least flexible person in the world!

Reactions: shakti

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I meditate :kitteh: Or, if I have to come up with an idea or solution for something, I completely clear my mind and wait for the first impulse/gut feeling/thought pertaining to the topic to arise - and then I follow that :)

I'd like to get more into yoga and that stuff, but I am the least flexible person in the world!
Don't let that deter you! Stretching and getting your body into weird poses is the least important part of yoga - what matters is the feeling you get inside, getting in sync with your body and surrendering to your practice, not how flashy or good this practice looks :happy: Not being flexible is actually a great reason to take up yoga....going beyond your physical limits is an exhilarating feeling, so having more work to do in the physical department in a way means more thrills :crazy: I know a lot of people who had zero flexibility but got to an amazing place with hard work and dedication, some of them in their sixties...so if they can do it, so can you :happy:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hug people, fall asleep on people, pose weird questions to everyone around me, stare into the distance, put my headphones on.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
I don't think you can exercise Ni or Fe or whatever because functions are not skills, they are filters and for that reason alone you can't measure the strength of a function and that is why test results should never be taken literally (percentages)
if I hear people saying that they have to work on their Fe or Ne or this or that, it's complete nonsense. You work on a personality trait or ego-related affairs and that finds his way out or way in through one of those filters or a combination of those filters.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't think you can exercise Ni or Fe or whatever because functions are not skills, they are filters and for that reason alone you can't measure the strength of a function and that is why test results should never be taken literally (percentages)
if I hear people saying that they have to work on their Fe or Ne or this or that, it's complete nonsense. You work on a personality trait or ego-related affairs and that finds his way out or way in through one of those filters or a combination of those filters.
The functions are in a list of preference not type, but of course there are going to be some you're stronger on. And if they can be strengthened then surely you can do so yourself. I believe the OP, simply meant, 'What do you do, that is more focused on Ni?' :)

Reactions: X X

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
The functions are in a list of preference not type, but of course there are going to be some you're stronger on. And if they can be strengthened then surely you can do so yourself. I believe the OP, simply meant, 'What do you do, that is more focused on Ni?' :)
That's what I don't believe - that you can't strengthen your functions just by practicing "Ni". I think/suspect that intelligence and ego (overall maturity if you will) play a key factor for an optimum development of your functions and not your functions for the sake of your functions. Sometimes I see people stating that they have strong Ni because the test says 90% Ni. Now let's say that I score 55% on Ni, that doesn't mean his Ni is stronger, that's a typical mistake people make.

If you say something like "x" and I allow my Ne to fully function - seeing all possible outcomes/possibilities blah blah - then my intellect and creativity gets filtered through that thinking pattern. Now even if I score 51% on Ne, I am still a 100% Ne-dom and thanks to my inherent creativity my Ne will come off way stronger than a person who scores 100% on Ne but lacks creativity. He'd probably comes off with just random crap.

I was having a conversation with @cookie_thief this morning and there was this situation that I couldn't really explain. She said something and I just knew she got it (intuition). That's a process that takes place at such a high speed in the mind, can you practice that? You can't think "intuition" so how do you practice Ni or Ne? It's just there and can never be precisely measured through a test. It takes conversations to see how developed your Ni is because then I can actively see and understand thinking and perceiving patterns.

There are so many mistypes here because most people want to be intuitive and they probably even believe that they're intuitive but when I see them posting stuff I just know that they're not intuitive even though the test said they're are 70% Ni.

Here are my test results:

extraverted Sensing (Se)********************** (22.1)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si)************************* (25.2)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)************************************** (38.4)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)******************************** (32.1)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te)****************************** (30.2)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti)************************************ (36.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)******************* (19.1)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi)************************************* (37)
excellent use

Do you really think that my Ti is that strong compared to my Fi? I don't think so since the test didn't map out any thinking-process at all. I think that I am not even aware of that process. I am a super ENFP with super Ti (which makes me ENFTP xD) with poor Se? When I was reading that question regarding Se, I could have given it 5 points (max) which is true, I am a very perceptive and sharp guy but the thing is, I don't really care so I gave it 2 points because I am so aware that I prefer other functions over Se. Plus I still miss details when I am doing stuff I am not really interested in which means I automatically shift in a reflex to Ne-Fi-Te-Si. And I think we are not as conscious as we want us to be.

This ^ is not something I am sure about but just my observation and I hope (typical Ne) that people might shake some things up here. What are your thoughts or what are the thoughts of other ENFJs regarding all this?

Ps: I edited my post twice due to my limited use of Se xD

·
Registered
156 Posts
stare into the distance
I do this SO often. It drives my bf absolutely crazy. "Why do you just stare off into nothingness so much?"

90% of the time, I don't think about the fact that I'm staring but sometimes I'll consciously do it if I'm in a mood. I know he'll end up asking why. I'm usually pretty vague and say something along the lines of "not much, just thinking." His mind runs off a lot about things, but he doesn't like talking, so I'll use my "gazing" as a means of getting him to ask me what I'm thinking about (he usually assumes I'm thinking negatives ie: leaving him or something), which works because he says I tend to talk too much about my feelings. I guess I'm a bit of a manipulator in that sense lol. I don't feel like I'm bogging him down so much when it's him asking me to talk about it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
While I know what you mean, and had sort of the same thought myself, to suggest that you can't work on at all would nullify the idea of cognitive development, and I do think live circumstances help us to grow in our function sets. There are also things that help us feel more connected to our functions, Ni is the function that maps out all these inner contexts weaving in and out of each other, a function that gives us the natural ability to view the abstract. I don't think throwing a penny in the air and counting till seven will make you a better Se user, but doing those things would allow is to hone in or activate that particular area of our psyche and allow us to engage with it.

I guess, I don't feel as though Ni can trained in the ways some others have suggested, but I do think it can be developed. I'm not sure if that makes sense....I guess its something I'll have to think about some more.

Here are my test results:

extraverted Sensing (Se)********************** (22.1)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si)************************* (25.2)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)************************************** (38.4)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)******************************** (32.1)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te)****************************** (30.2)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti)************************************ (36.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)******************* (19.1)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi)************************************* (37)
excellent use

Also, according to that test, I'm more ENFP than you are today. I don't think I've ever gotten ENFP before....but I always score pretty high in Te, Fi and Ne but usually my Fe and Ni are the higher ones. I've probably taken it all of 5-7 times.

Also, I've taken it so many times, I think I may know too much and subconciously plan my answers accordingly.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************************* (33.2)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.9)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.3)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************* (31.9)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24.7)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.1)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.4)
excellent use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFP

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INFP, or ESFP

1 - 20 of 50 Posts