Personality Cafe banner

Question: positive and negative traits of the functions

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mbwilli 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post!

Is there a definitive list anywhere of the positive and negative traits of all 8 functions? If not then does anyone feel like educating me?

Also, I read somewhere that there are five levels of development for each of the four (or 8 with attitude) functions. Does anyone know anything about these levels and how they operate?

Many thanks in advance! :happy:

#3 ·
Are we talking I, E, S, N, T, F, J, P? Very general
or Se, Si, Ne, Ni, Ti, Te, Fe, Fi? Very specific

I think if we tried to get into a list of negative traits people would start to generalize and stereotype.

#4 ·
All eight if possible :happy:

I refer to negative traits because of the way that they are sometimes unconsciously expressed when they are shadow functions i.e. focusing in and becoming obsessed with an irrelevant detail is a negative sensor trait sometimes experienced by intuitives under stress. Similarly a strong sensor might experience the negative side of an intuitive trait.

#5 ·
Well I don't see how negative stereo typing would occur if I describe how my own functions may work negatively for me. So just off the top of my head:

Ne: Wants to think all day. Don't see the world around me at times-too busy making connections. Can work overtime and make faulty connections. Can make user stay "open" too long while collecting all the data before coming to a conclusion
Fi: This is a very hard one for me to see negatively. Let's see. Feeling things intensely, including other people's pain. Can stop you dead in your tracks too. Can be selfish and stubborn, while sticking to personal values.
Te: Can be rigid and impersonal. May get thwarted if an outside system is not available.
Si: Needs to be brought into the present. Not as objective in it's understanding of things. Can be set in it's ways.

I didn't feel like writing the positives. There is already too much out there written on the positive. Perhaps another ENFP could take over.

#9 ·
What I would like is a way to look at a given type, take as example ENTP and instantly be able to find a list of not only the traits of the more conscious functions, but also how they express themselves from a raw, unconscious form i.e. as shadow functions. I do not mean how you or I might chose to use them, if that is what you mean.

Thanks everyone for your insights so far

#7 ·
This website has some negative side-effects mentioned for each one: Function Attitude and this one is not all rosy either Jung Type Descriptions

Generally it is not just one function responsible, as they work in combination, and also their position on the cognitive ladder matters. In this sense I like socionics better as in socionics each function gets a role rather than just a rank by dominance as it is done in MBTI. Base function Te of ENTJ or ESTJ for example may give him or her a set of different problems in life than creative (secondary) Te of IxTJs or the mobilizing (tertiary) Te of an ExFPs.

#8 · (Edited)
Ni

Strengths imaginative, insightful, originality, visionary drive

Weakness detached from reality and present occurrences

Ne

Strengths: improvisational creativity, idea generation, open minded, optimism about possibilities

Weakness: unstable/inconsistent

Se

Strengths: present orientated, sensually alert, energy/zest for life

Weaknesses: lacks future direction, unoriginal

Si

Strengths: reliability, preparedness, traditional, attention to detail, standard of excellence

Weaknesses: closed minded, uncreative

Ti

Strengths: precision, clarity, analytic/diagnostic ability

Weaknesses: detachment from the values of the collective (social dynamics)

Te

Strengths: efficiency, systematic, competitiveness

Weaknesses: forecful, unempathetic

I'll edit in the other 2 later, too tired!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.