Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people do you think are mistyped as introverts, when they're actually extraverts who aren't getting the stimulation they require?

Extraverts with a sad family life, or a boring workplace, or a million other reasons - mentally 'check-out' when they're not receiving enough external stimulation to keep themselves going.

This means, these E types, would be clicking on all of the I options in tests - daydreaming, fantasies, zoning out, being oblivious to surroundings etc, all of that - but it's not because they're an introvert, it's because they're an extravert who isn't getting what they need.

Just a thought.

Idea came from this video:

It clicked immediately for me that there could be so, so many people out there who think they're an introvert, when they're actually a bored extravert.

Keen to hear thoughts.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think it's true that there are some extroverts out there who mistype as introverts. I think it's particularly true for people who have become withdrawn through mental illness for example, and then believe themselves to be more introverted than they actually are.

It doesn't help that society poorly defines introversion in general, and as if it's a negative disposition. (I mean, look at the dictionary definitions!) Elizabeth Wagele's book The Happy Introvert for example is such called for this reason.

I think as well there's a lot online about introversion these days and it's easy for people to get caught up in the idea. Like anyone who reads a lot, spends a lot of time on the internet, doesn't enjoy parties, anyone feeling slightly misunderstood etc etc MUST be an introvert.

But generally yeah, I think people can become withdrawn or quiet for more reasons than just introversion, but that doesn't mean that's fundamentally what it is. And I think on the other side, people often misjudge introverts as being extroverted, or more extroverted than they actually are, due to the lack of this understanding, because, obviously, any reasonably healthy introvert is going to be able to act extroverted for periods of time, even if it's only a short period.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
I would agree.

I would also add age can also greatly effect how even an extrovert appears.

As far as the stereotypical extrovert trope being the most obnoxious person in a room. Younger or immature people, I think it's easier to spot extroverts by that cliche. But people specifically over 25-30+ Or just more mature tend to mellow out dramatically often (of course not always) where even some immature or young introverts could look more outwardly social and obnoxious.

Another thing worth noting is fazes and growing pains people grow through. My eldest daughter is an extrovert no doubt about it. She still dramatically withdrew even herself this year after having some growing pains with her main social click. She sorta got a good dose of a reality check and is adjusting to that now. Her current state is far more withdrawn than naturally.

I also even reference myself I often type ISTP (really do not think I am in the big picture) I think some of it is just external factors various at different stages.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If they do not choose the extroverted options in the test then according to the test they are not an extrovert. The test tests what it tests, there will be no "mistyping", just factors that are not built into the test and aren't really accounted for in any other way either.

It's too bad because it leads into people getting bizarre results from the tests (I got INTJ in my worse days...) that do not really say anything relevant about our personalities. Most of the realizations have to come elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
How many people do you think are mistyped as introverts, when they're actually extraverts who aren't getting the stimulation they require?
Not very many. Understimulated extroverts will distinguish themselves from introverts by their dissatisfaction (feeling understimulated at all) and seeking a level of stimulation that most introverts don't seek. As with every other group of people, it depends on whether they understand how to properly type themselves.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If they do not choose the extroverted options in the test then according to the test they are not an extrovert. The test tests what it tests, there will be no "mistyping", just factors that are not built into the test and aren't really accounted for in any other way either.

It's too bad because it leads into people getting bizarre results from the tests (I got INTJ in my worse days...) that do not really say anything relevant about our personalities. Most of the realizations have to come elsewhere.
This is a really good point. Given that personality tests are self-reporting, you have to really know yourself as a whole across your life-span to get an 'accurate' result. It's easy to 'mistype' if you are viewing yourself (intentionally or otherwise) as something you're not.

In saying that, a lot of people don't know themselves very well, and it can be hard for them to decipher where their preferences lie. And given the nature of personality theory and that there's no real objective way to determine type, it's dependent on the individual's understanding of not only themselves, but the system as a whole.

Reactions: Turi

·
Registered
384 Posts
From my personal experience, there are many extraverts mistyped as introverts.
They usually are mistaken, because:
~ they are shy and they automatically think that being shy equals to being an introvert. Sure, there is some positive correlation between introversion and shyness, although correlation doesn't mean causation.
~ as you said, they have bad social life experience (they do not get appropriate stimuli).
~ as stupid as it sounds, they think that being an introvert will make you look "special" or "edgy" [honestly, the worst type of people].

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not very many.
Source?

Understimulated extroverts will distinguish themselves from introverts by their dissatisfaction (feeling understimulated at all) and seeking a level of stimulation that most introverts don't seek.
Source?

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Yes, valid. Was me.

Bring up a good point of outside circumstances influencing question perception. Should be explored more in-depth not just on E/I scale. Some sites like 16personalities claim internal validity on their questions that they measure specific constructs that are like 80-90% separate from the other constructs and display some sort of internal consistency on re-testing.

I could believe it, but I think there comes a point when someone takes a test enough times that they clearly see what each question is measuring. Then it's just a matter of how truly objective you can be with yourself about yourself. Challenging.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to mistype myself as a introvert. Some extroverts wouldn't fit in with the norm so they wouldn't feel motivated to interact. And if you are surrounded by people talking about subjects you don't like you're gonna feel drained like a introvert.

·
Banned
767 Posts
I used to type as an ISTJ because I didn't get enough mental stimulation growing up and my people skills were shitty enough to seclude myself in schools. That being said, though, that video is eh. There's more to it than liking external stimulation. A person who loves to exercise will always have to take a break. I'm the type that tends to sprint at the starting line, so what happens is that my interactions at a great party could be so intense from shouting, laughing, and general excitement that I deplete my energy. From an outsider's perspective, I look introverted because I'm tired out from social interactions, but when I'm home, the last thing I need is a book or television. I need a nap, otherwise, I doze off for hours absentmindedly. It makes those E/I questions on quizzes awkward.

What I'm saying is, there's more to it than liking parties or social interactions. I actively seek social interactions with people I like, but I can tire out easily.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I'd imagine a good portion of people mistype as introverted, it's considered to be one of the more common biases anyhow (or at least I think so; I don't really have a reference for that statement though). Of course there's the terrible descriptions of extroverts, which portray them as social butterflies who party for a living and won't shut up or can't not socialize for five minutes without succumbing to deep sadness; Those are pretty bad. I've noticed that, since many people are typing themselves as young adults (16-25), this is the point in time when the auxiliary function is said to become more prominent, valued and developed. Since the development of the auxiliary function is being focused on, which makes extroverted individuals more internally focused. This can and often is mistaken as introversion (unless the person was OBVIOUSLY extroverted before). Introverts don't do the same because introversion tends to be a bit more obvious to the internally oriented individual and also because introvert stereotypes are somewhat more favorable. I think the general rule of thumb is if you have ever considered extroversion, there's a good chance that you may actually be an extrovert.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
There's a lot of "gray area" in personality theory, but I really do think/feel that Introversion vs. Extroversion is NOT one of them. I can see how some people can confuse the two because of self awareness issues, but you can't plant an apple, paint it orange when it grows, and call it an orange. Your true nature still comes through. It's as simple as the video posted in the OP states. Do you feel "charged" around a crowd of people or do you feel rather "drained" most of the time? Do you speak your mind often or rather keep your thoughts reserved for the people you know the most? Do you find yourself participating in group activities at the workplace or mainly keep to yourself? With the exception of mental health conditions and extreme circumstances, there is a very obvious divider between Introversion and Extroversion. Very obvious.

HOWEVER, one confusion situation I have seen a lot is when people mistake having many friends as a trait for extroversion. No. You can be an introvert and still have many friends, but that has nothing to do with the nature of introversion vs. extroversion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts