Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to this website and its content but when I did the personality test (Tried a few other sites too) I came out as an INTJ but my scores between I and E, N and S and J and P are very close, somewhere between 60-40 and 5x-5x. Does that make me someone who is rather neutral in terms of personality types?

Other people I see generally are above 75% on cognitive functions over the other etc...

Also what do you guys think, do you think its better to be very balanced like me or better to have extremes? Am I going to be one of those people who are generally good at everything but especially good at nothing?

Feedback much appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
I think your scores being close reflect that you are a dominant intuitive type. My personal observations have been that INXJ's have the most difficulties determining their own functions. Intuition can appear in the forms of feeling, thinking and sensing, which explains why a dominant intuitive type would think that they are close in their function 'use'. The functions aren't actually something 'used' though, they represent different perspectives.

In most people, their dominant and to a lesser extent, their auxiliary, make up their persona and ego consciousness.
Everything that your ego believes itself to be, your conscious awareness, is contained in the first two function perspectives. The other function perspectives are something outside of your awareness.

So basically, your dominant intuition appears to you like a combination of the other functions, but it isn't.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your scores being close reflect that you are a dominant intuitive type. My personal observations have been that INXJ's have the most difficulties determining their own functions. Intuition can appear in the forms of feeling, thinking and sensing, which explains why a dominant intuitive type would think that they are close in their function 'use'. The functions aren't actually something 'used' though, they represent different perspectives.

In most people, their dominant and to a lesser extent, their auxiliary, make up their persona and ego consciousness.
Everything that your ego believes itself to be, your conscious awareness, is contained in the first two function perspectives. The other function perspectives are something outside of your awareness.

So basically, your dominant intuition appears to you like a combination of the other functions, but it isn't.

Thanks for your reply, just to double check that I've understood thoroughly, you are saying that Intuition is able to give you a different perspective of thinking i.e using intuition to think that you are using "feeling" or "sensing" when in fact you are using your intuition to re in-act "feeling" and "sensing" rather than actually using the 2?

So in essence, I'm using my intuition to create my own "feeling" and "sensing"?

My intuition is not so dominant, my score was 37% S 63% N though, or is 63% really high?

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Thanks for your reply, just to double check that I've understood thoroughly, you are saying that Intuition is able to give you a different perspective of thinking i.e using intuition to think that you are using "feeling" or "sensing" when in fact you are using your intuition to re in-act "feeling" and "sensing" rather than actually using the 2?

So in essence, I'm using my intuition to create my own "feeling" and "sensing"?

My intuition is not so dominant, my score was 37% S 63% N though, or is 63% really high?
Sorry, I jumped a bit far ahead there. I will try and fill the gaps.

If you're an intj, then your intuitive function is dominant (and conscious). The other three functions are mostly unconscious (2nd function could be seen as roughly about 50-50/60-40, conscious vs unconscious) and compliment/balance your intuition unconsciously. But they will be allowed conscious input as long as their input doesn't conflict with the aims your intuition. This means that your unconscious function perspectives will be distorted by the dominant.

The percentages reflect the likelihood that you have a particular function perspective, rather than how much you are 'using' it.

So your function hierarchy is:

Introverted Intuition (Ni)
Extraverted Thinking (Te)
Introverted Feeling (Fi)
Extraverted Sensing (Se)

So, to answer your original questions:

Your type isn't closer to 'neutral', if the test results are accurate, you're still very much an intj.

Yes, the results could indicate that you're a balanced one, which is better and healthier.

It doesn't mean that you will become generally good at everything but especially good at nothing, because they represent perspective, not skills. Although, having a particular function perspective does mean that we're more likely to develop certain skills, but that's because our interest and attention are on those certain areas.

The other stuff I mentioned about intuition appearing as the other functions is more relevant when looking into the theory at a deeper level. I don't want to make it more confusing than it needs to be and I think it was a misjudgement on my part to include it.

Reactions: ENTJudgement

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I jumped a bit far ahead there. I will try and fill the gaps.

If you're an intj, then your intuitive function is dominant (and conscious). The other three functions are mostly unconscious (2nd function could be seen as roughly about 50-50/60-40, conscious vs unconscious) and compliment/balance your intuition unconsciously. But they will be allowed conscious input as long as their input doesn't conflict with the aims your intuition. This means that your unconscious function perspectives will be distorted by the dominant.

The percentages reflect the likelihood that you have a particular function perspective, rather than how much you are 'using' it.

So your function hierarchy is:

Introverted Intuition (Ni)
Extraverted Thinking (Te)
Introverted Feeling (Fi)
Extraverted Sensing (Se)

So, to answer your original questions:

Your type isn't closer to 'neutral', if the test results are accurate, you're still very much an intj.

Yes, the results could indicate that you're a balanced one, which is better and healthier.

It doesn't mean that you will become generally good at everything but especially good at nothing, because they represent perspective, not skills. Although, having a particular function perspective does mean that we're more likely to develop certain skills, but that's because our interest and attention are on those certain areas.

The other stuff I mentioned about intuition appearing as the other functions is more relevant when looking into the theory at a deeper level. I don't want to make it more confusing than it needs to be and I think it was a misjudgement on my part to include it.
Thanks a lot for the explanation, really appreciate it, makes a lot of sense and I certainty do what you have just mentioned, now that I have a basic understanding, would be be inclined to also explain the "Deeper level"?

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
It does NOT mean that you prefer those functions in the way the test results are labeled, because the test result is not meant to be a firm dictation of type to begin with.

For example, if you scored 90% for Ni, and 75% Ti, and 24% Te, you would not be "an INTJ with strong Ti." You would have to see that the test results suggest you are an Ni dominant, then look into whether that is truly the case, as well as which auxiliary function (Te or Fe) you prefer.

A lot of people believe that the actual percentages they receive from a type test actually speak to their function hierarchy. This isn't the case. The results are telling you how readily you answered questions on the test in a way that matched the function they were supposed to be testing for. How often, for example, you clicked the "Yes" button for questions that were supposed to test for Ni - even if you are really an Ne dom and interpreted what the Ni question was asking in an Ne way.

Don't take the percentages too seriously. Use them as a filter to point you to further research on specific types or functions that you may identify with, then make your own call.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Thanks a lot for the explanation, really appreciate it, makes a lot of sense and I certainty do what you have just mentioned, now that I have a basic understanding, would be be inclined to also explain the "Deeper level"?
I could try and explain and so could many others, but since the functions are largely misunderstood, your thread may likely become a flaming battlefield. :tongue:

The personality types are based on Carl Jungs theory. If you're really interested in going deeper into the theory, I recommend starting with the original descriptions. That way, when you begin noticing the inconsistencies, misinterpretations, alterations , etc. that are flying around, you will be in a better position to understand why.

This quote is from Jungs definition of the intuitive function

Intuition

(From intueri = to look into or upon) is, according to my view, a basic psychological function. It is that psychological function which transmits perceptions in an unconscious way. Everything, whether outer or inner objects or their associations, Can be the object of this perception. Intuition has this peculiar quality: it is neither sensation, nor feeling, nor intellectual conclusion, although it may appear in any of these forms. Through intuition anyone content is presented as a complete whole, without our being able to explain or discover in what way this content has been arrived at Intuition is a kind of instinctive apprehension, irrespective of the nature of its contents. Like sensation it is an irrational perceptive function. Its contents, like those of sensation, have the character of being given, in contrast to the 'derived' or 'deduced' character of feeling and thinking contents.
Taken from this long ass, hard to digest, dodgy translation, here:

Psychological Types - Wikisocion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts