Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Questionnaire Answers*

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I believe myself to be suffering from social anxiety disorder and mild depression. Neither are officially diagnosed however.

As for medication, I self-medicate. I smoke alot of weed (daily) and occasionally get drunk (maybe once bi-weekly). I've also been known to experiment with psychedelics.

I am male, 20, currently calm and curious about the opinions I will get on my questionnaire answers.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

I definitely prefer the first one. I like it because:

• It conveys a sense of openness, infinity if you will. The sky and the ocean seem to stretch out forever.
  • It's a very serene landscape. Were I there in person, I would feel relaxed and happy.
  • It's at night, which is my favorite time.
  • It's a beach. And beaches are dope.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

• Laid-back
  • Calm
  • Thoughtful
  • Quiet
  • Optimistic
  • Rational
  • Autonomous
  • Low-maintenance
  • Reasonable
  • Absent-minded
  • Insightful
  • Undisciplined
4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

• I would like to be more social than I am. On one hand, I do enjoy my solitude and am generally not a people-person, but I always feel like I'm missing out on something. Extroversion looks fun.
  • I would like to be little more decisive than I am. I completely lack the ability to follow through on any projects I start. I'm excited about them at first, but then I just lose interest. And then never touch it again. Right now I am in rut career-wise because I can't focus on a single passion I'd want to follow.
  • I would like to be more confident than I am. I have problems with self-image and fitting in.
5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

People probably see me as more incompetent or 'stupid' than I see myself. I'm pretty lazy and useless at work, but I work at a 24 hr iHOP. During graveyard shift (10pm-6am). It's boring as fuck, it pays like shit, and it's fairly unimportant work. Not exactly a motivating environment. In school I gave the bare minimum effort, had the bare minimum attendance, and got the bare minimum diploma for similar reasons as my job. I believe myself to be intelligent and diligent if I have some sort of a real investment in what I'm doing. I also believe that my tendency to get inside my head and 'zone out' makes me look flighty.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

Value Test Results (in order of importance):

1. Freedom
2. Peace
3. Privacy
4. Open-mindedness
5. Happiness
6. Sexuality
7. Relaxation
8. Curiosity
9. Optimism
10. Reason
11. Intelligence
12. Simplicity
13. Beauty
14. Vision
15. Adventure

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I adapt. New situations have never really bothered me. In fact, I enjoy the variety. It's stale situations that greatly bother me.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I internally rationalize both the stress and the situation. Most of the time, the feeling of the stress and the stressful situation itself is "hyped up" by your mind and it's not really as bad as you think it is. In times of extreme stress, where rationalization does not work, I bottle it up. I get alot more quiet and brooding. My natural optimism dies as well and I tend to complain more. Once it's over though, I'm over it.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

My usual reserved personality becomes more open. I'm friendlier and alot more goofy.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I definitely prefer one-on-one interaction. It's more intimate and 'real' to me. I find people to be much more authentic in these sorts of situations.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

Social norms, values, customs, and traditions are all part of a sort of herd conformity that punishes individuality and originality in favor of what's basically a giant circle-jerk. I don't have a relationship to society, I tend to eschew large group identities altogether. This includes loyalty to local sports teams, nations, political parties, and religious groups.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I see authority figures as incompetent, unintelligent, and largely useless. My favorite bosses and were the ones that were smart enough to realize I work better under hands-off management than with helicopter management. I am capable of being cordial to authority figures, but usually if I'm told to do something or not do something I go behind their back and do it anyway.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I see order as being:
plan-driven
structured
organized
hierarchical
regulated
rule-oriented

...chaos would naturally be the precise opposite. I believe a healthy mix of both is ideal. I tend to lean strongly toward the chaotic side, however.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

Being on my death bed, looking back at my life and being dissatisfied. I don't want to be that dying old man that wishes he had worked less and spent more time with his family and out living life. Because of this, I try not to take everything so seriously and live a life of leisure where it is pragmatic to do so.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

Contentment and variety. That is all that I desire from life. I don't need money, fancy clothes, a shiny car, recognition, distinguishment, popularity, a dream job, or the stereotypical white picket fence 'American dream' life. I just want to explore life and have some fun during this short period of time I'll be here.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a). Deep discussions. I am very energized by talking about politics, philosophy, psychology, what have you with intelligent, open-minded people.

b). Small talk. Especially if I'm talking to a super extroverted or emotional/sensitive type. Monotonous, dull activities are also particularly draining for me.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I want to know my type so I can better understand myself and how I relate to others. I would also like to seek advice from people who get me and where I'm coming from. My results for various personality tests can be found on my signature.

·
Registered
621 Posts
1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I believe myself to be suffering from social anxiety disorder and mild depression. Neither are officially diagnosed however.
My advice to anybody who suspects to suffer from a mental illness and finds themselves Googling things like "symptoms of depression" etc. is to consult a mental health professional immediately. What you're going through might not be severe, but assuming the therapist you go to isn't terrible at their job, it'll definitely benefit you in the long run to seek professional help. If you don't want to answer this, feel free to ignore me, but why do you believe yourself to suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder as opposed to being simply incredibly shy?

As for medication, I self-medicate. I smoke alot of weed (daily) and occasionally get drunk (maybe once bi-weekly). I've also been known to experiment with psychedelics.

I am male, 20, currently calm and curious about the opinions I will get on my questionnaire answers.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

I definitely prefer the first one. I like it because:

• It conveys a sense of openness, infinity if you will. Quick to see concepts. The sky and the ocean seem to stretch out forever.
  • It's a very serene landscape. Were I there in person, I would feel relaxed and happy.
  • It's at night, which is my favorite time.
  • It's a beach. And beaches are dope.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

• Laid-back
  • Calm
  • Thoughtful
  • Quiet
  • Optimistic
  • Rational
  • Autonomous
  • Low-maintenance
  • Reasonable
  • Absent-minded
  • Insightful
  • Undisciplined
Sounds like a type 9 rather than a type 4, but traits aren't enough to determine Enneatype, so don't take this too seriously.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

• I would like to be more social than I am. On one hand, I do enjoy my solitude and am generally not a people-person, but I always feel like I'm missing out on something. Extroversion looks fun.
  • I would like to be little more decisive than I am. I completely lack the ability to follow through on any projects I start. I'm excited about them at first, but then I just lose interest. And then never touch it again. Right now I am in rut career-wise because I can't focus on a single passion I'd want to follow.
    The way you've described this leads me to believe that you're a Pe type (as opposed to simply being easily distracted). Probably Ne, since I find this more common in Ne types, who are constantly looking to explore new possibilities (where Se types want new experiences).
  • I would like to be more confident than I am. I have problems with self-image and fitting in.
5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

People probably see me as more incompetent or 'stupid' than I see myself. I'm pretty lazy and useless at work, but I work at a 24 hr iHOP. During graveyard shift (10pm-6am). It's boring as fuck, it pays like shit, and it's fairly unimportant work. Not exactly a motivating environment. In school I gave the bare minimum effort, had the bare minimum attendance, and got the bare minimum diploma for similar reasons as my job. I believe myself to be intelligent and diligent if I have some sort of a real investment in what I'm doing. I also believe that my tendency to get inside my head and 'zone out' makes me look flighty.

You sound very much like a 9.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

Value Test Results (in order of importance):

1. Freedom
2. Peace
3. Privacy
4. Open-mindedness
5. Happiness
6. Sexuality
7. Relaxation
8. Curiosity
9. Optimism
10. Reason
11. Intelligence
12. Simplicity
13. Beauty
14. Vision
15. Adventure

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I adapt. New situations have never really bothered me. In fact, I enjoy the variety. It's stale situations that greatly bother me.
Pe.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I internally rationalize both the stress and the situation. Most of the time, the feeling of the stress and the stressful situation itself is "hyped up" by your mind and it's not really as bad as you think it is. Again, you sound like a core 9. In times of extreme stress, where rationalization does not work, I bottle it up. I get alot more quiet and brooding. My natural optimism dies as well and I tend to complain more. Once it's over though, I'm over it.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

My usual reserved personality becomes more open. I'm friendlier and alot more goofy.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I definitely prefer one-on-one interaction. It's more intimate and 'real' to me. I find people to be much more authentic in these sorts of situations.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

Social norms, values, customs, and traditions are all part of a sort of herd conformity that punishes individuality and originality in favor of what's basically a giant circle-jerk. I don't have a relationship to society, I tend to eschew large group identities altogether. This includes loyalty to local sports teams, nations, political parties, and religious groups.
Strong introversion.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I see authority figures as incompetent, unintelligent, and largely useless. My favorite bosses and were the ones that were smart enough to realize I work better under hands-off management than with helicopter management. I am capable of being cordial to authority figures, but usually if I'm told to do something or not do something I go behind their back and do it anyway.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I see order as being:
plan-driven
structured
organized
hierarchical
regulated
rule-oriented

...chaos would naturally be the precise opposite. I believe a healthy mix of both is ideal. I tend to lean strongly toward the chaotic side, however.

Probably Pe > Pi.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

Being on my death bed, looking back at my life and being dissatisfied. I don't want to be that dying old man that wishes he had worked less and spent more time with his family and out living life. Because of this, I try not to take everything so seriously and live a life of leisure where it is pragmatic to do so.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

Contentment and variety. That is all that I desire from life. I don't need money, fancy clothes, a shiny car, recognition, distinguishment, popularity, a dream job, or the stereotypical white picket fence 'American dream' life. I just want to explore life and have some fun during this short period of time I'll be here.
Wanting to "explore" life/information/the world is something Pe types tend to say they desire. Pi types tend to be more concerned with carving out a certain, linear path for themselves and making their mark.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a). Deep discussions. I am very energized by talking about politics (maybe F), philosophy (N), psychology (N/S balance, in my opinion), what have you with intelligent, open-minded people.

b). Small talk. Especially if I'm talking to a super extroverted or emotional/sensitive type. Monotonous, dull activities are also particularly draining for me.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I want to know my type so I can better understand myself and how I relate to others. I would also like to seek advice from people who get me and where I'm coming from. My results for various personality tests can be found on my signature.
You're a clear IXXP, and there is definitely evidence for INXP (despite the lack of evidence for Si - there was no evidence at all for the Se/Ni axis), but your approach seems to come from a place of value rather than from one of logic (in how you describe yourself and your desires, as well as in what you like to talk about and the aspects of life on which you focus) so I don't think that INFP is out of the question. Your judging functions were not clear to me at all, so I might have missed something, and almost the entire questionnaire was answered by your approaching it with your Pe function.

I think that the variant stacking in your signature is probably correct, but I do believe that you might be a core 9 rather than a core 4.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You're a clear IXXP, and there is definitely evidence for INXP (despite the lack of evidence for Si - there was no evidence at all for the Se/Ni axis), but your approach seems to come from a place of value rather than from one of logic (in how you describe yourself and your desires, as well as in what you like to talk about and the aspects of life on which you focus) so I don't think that INFP is out of the question.
I guess it's possible. I've typed as that before. But I'm currently dating an INFP, and the difference in how we react to situations is pretty substantial. She gets annoyed when I write off irrational fears of hers by telling her those things would never happen. Or try to sort out her feelings and offer solutions instead of just comforting her. I'd believe I'm a weak "T" though, I've always felt like a feel-y thinker.

Your judging functions were not clear to me at all, so I might have missed something, and almost the entire questionnaire was answered by your approaching it with your Pe function.
So that would likely make my Pe function strongest, right? Is it possible I'm an antisocial ENTP?

I think that the variant stacking in your signature is probably correct, but I do believe that you might be a core 9 rather than a core 4.
The reason I believe myself to be a 4 is because I sort of see myself as outside of everything that's going on. I struggle to identify with people, especially strangers. I just feel fundamentally different from most people. I mean I guess either way INFP/INTP/ENTP I'm a rare type, but it seems like something more than that to me. And that seems like a really 4ish feeling.

I could definitely believe Core 9 though. I don't nose into people's business, or judge them for this or that. Or get offended by everything. I just want to get along. Not necessarily talk and be friendly, but 'live and let live.' I also have an issue with conflict. I can't stand to be around it, or in the middle of it. I will if I have to, but that's a very last resort. You'd have to really wrong me.

If you don't want to answer this, feel free to ignore me, but why do you believe yourself to suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder as opposed to being simply incredibly shy?
Because my lack of comfort with talking to new people seems to be more of a recent thing. I wasn't ever a social butterfly or anything, but I was pretty good at talking to people. And comfortable around them. In high school I liked being the class clown sometimes if I was in a 'people mood', and I wasn't absent or asleep. Liked making people laugh. And I enjoyed the audience. I even used to perform when I was younger like 12 or so. I was in a couple plays. I eventually quit the plays because the other kids in them were too loud and annoyed me, which makes me suspect introversion preference, but the socialization wasn't necessarily a discomfort like it is now. No nervous feelings. On really bad days, my heart rate even goes up a little bit.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I guess it's possible. I've typed as that before. But I'm currently dating an INFP, and the difference in how we react to situations is pretty substantial. She gets annoyed when I write off irrational fears of hers by telling her those things would never happen. Or try to sort out her feelings and offer solutions instead of just comforting her. I'd believe I'm a weak "T" though, I've always felt like a feel-y thinker.
The differences between you and your girlfriend don't seem to stem from Fi-Te vs Ti-Fe differences to me, though you do appear to be the more rational of the two. I do believe that thinkers are more inclined towards compartmentalizing emotions and sifting through them. 5-fixers also tend towards this sort of behaviour when comforting others, in my experience.

If you are in fact a 4, then coming across as a more sensitive or emotional thinker would make sense. Thinker 9s are probably "softer" than most other thinking types as well, but I'd say that 4s come across as significantly more emotional, since 9s tend to carry an air of apathy.

So that would likely make my Pe function strongest, right? Is it possible I'm an antisocial ENTP?
Not necessarily, that ENTP is possible. I think that questionnaires such as this one tend to pull on perceiving functions more than they do judging ones; there weren't many opportunities for judgment calls in this one. Furthermore, I believe that EXXP types are often impulsive and almost manic in their pursuit for new concepts (Ne) or new experiences (Se), and I did not get this impression from you.

You may be onto something here, though, since perhaps a J-dom would steer their answers into judging territory regardless of the nature of the questions.

The reason I believe myself to be a 4 is because I sort of see myself as outside of everything that's going on. I struggle to identify with people, especially strangers. I just feel fundamentally different from most people. I mean I guess either way INFP/INTP/ENTP I'm a rare type, but it seems like something more than that to me. And that seems like a really 4ish feeling.

I could definitely believe Core 9 though. I don't nose into people's business, or judge them for this or that. Or get offended by everything. I just want to get along. Not necessarily talk and be friendly, but 'live and let live.' I also have an issue with conflict. I can't stand to be around it, or in the middle of it. I will if I have to, but that's a very last resort. You'd have to really wrong me.
(I've noticed that you've now identified as 9w8. Ignore this if you have no confusion about your Enneatype.)
The reason why I'd wondered if 9 was a better fit for you was because you exhibit 9 traits that contradict the 4 personality. If my memory is correct, when I'd typed you, you indentified as the Gentle Spirit tritype, which is an optimistic tritype. I'd be willing to let your description of yourself as "optimistic" despite being a 4 slide for that reason, but your response to the question regarding how you deal with stress was very typical of a 9 and very unlike a 4. 4s tend towards building things into a melodrama, while 9s tend to downplay the severity of stressors in order to maintain a sense of calm.

Behaviours and traits aren't great for determining Enneatype, however - my bad. It all boils down to your motivations and fears, and I believe that by focusing on the motivations of each triad helps to narrow down your core type. I, for one, am a core 9 with a 5 fix; I test as 5 most often and fit the profiles (usually) just as well as I do 9, but I know that I'm a 9 because I'm a gut type and not a head type.

Because my lack of comfort with talking to new people seems to be more of a recent thing. I wasn't ever a social butterfly or anything, but I was pretty good at talking to people. And comfortable around them. In high school I liked being the class clown sometimes if I was in a 'people mood', and I wasn't absent or asleep. Liked making people laugh. And I enjoyed the audience. I even used to perform when I was younger like 12 or so. I was in a couple plays. I eventually quit the plays because the other kids in them were too loud and annoyed me, which makes me suspect introversion preference, but the socialization wasn't necessarily a discomfort like it is now. No nervous feelings. On really bad days, my heart rate even goes up a little bit.
If your anxiety is this severe, then you should seek professional help. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't considered normal. I've read stories of people who, like you, had experienced no trouble in social settings (beyond shyness) but had developed Social Anxiety as they grew older, and this was usually explained by them having been through some sort of unsettling / unexpected (maybe traumatic) experience. On the other hand, depression and anxiety are linked, and so the more depressed somebody is, the more anxious they tend to be. Biological factors (serotonin imbalance, I think, may be one) may have also contributed to this.

I was only asking since I believe that words like "depression" and "anxiety" are used way too lightly these days.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bumping. More analysis would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts