Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
I can't do this one because it won't let me post links due to not having 15 posts. This is my first post.
2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
My initial thoughts are "Crap, I hope we can find a way to make it to the concert in time." My outward reaction would be to try to find out what exactly is wrong with the car. If the problem can be fixed, then we would do that. If not, call a taxi.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I don't usually like afterparties, so I would see if the driver wanted to go to the afterparty that badly. If so, I would go and while we were there, make sure the driver doesn't drink anything.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
Inwardly, I would be calm but I might think a little less of the friend, but probably not. Outwardly, if I thought the issue was important, I would calmly try to debate the issue.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
As long as that something wasn't actually hurting anyone, I would probably ignore it, especially if it was a stranger doing it.
6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

The things I value most are probably freedom, logic/rationality, competitiveness, and leaving other people be as long as they aren't hurting anyone.
7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a. I don't think there is any particular aspect about my personality that distinguishes me from everyone else. All the aspects put together, however, is probably pretty rare. I think almost everyone can say that, though.
b. There really isn't anything I would want to change about my personality, even if there are certain weaknesses.
8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I acknowledge them but try to find evidence to justify those feelings before I act on them. They are usually triggered when I suspect that someone might have ulterior motives for doing/saying something and might be trying to take advantage of people.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a. Competing in athletics, video games, strategy games energizes me the most. Competing against other people in general.
b. I get drained from things like busy work, having to watch/do/listen to things that I feel are pointless.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I repress my emotions. I think I do it because don't naturally trust other people. When around people I trust, like my parents, I don't usually repress them. I also usually repress my opinions of people. For example, if someone says something that I think is stupid, I won't call that person stupid, but I would probably explain why I think they are wrong.

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have a hunch. It's a bit short on information though.
Would you mind answering a few questions?

All the aspects put together, however, is probably pretty rare. I think almost everyone can say that, though.
Would you mind mentioning a couple of those aspects?

There really isn't anything I would want to change about my personality, even if there are certain weaknesses.
What would those weaknesses be?

I also usually repress my opinions of people.
Why?

What do you want to do in the future?
Dream job, and why?
Could you describe yourself in three words?
Why do you want to know your type? (Deeper than "I want to learn more about myself", like why would you want that, etc?)
If you were to hold a public speech about something that lies close to your heart, what would you talk about? Would that be your initial thought, or would you go over several topics before deciding? And would it really be something close to your heart, even if it might be controversial?

Reactions: ginobili20

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One weakness would probably be that losing at things makes me pretty mad and upset. I don't show it unless I'm on my own. That might be normal, though, I'm not sure. Also, I get nervous before going in public sometimes. I have some social anxiety. This makes me get introverted when I do personality tests, but I think I'm an extrovert.

I think I repress my opinions of people because I just feel uncomfortable doing that. I feel comfortable giving my opinion of people's opinions, just not my opinions of them. Both negative and positive. The example in my OP would be negative. A positive example would be telling my parents I love them. I definitely love them, but telling them that I do makes me feel kind of silly. I feel kind of fake when I do it, even if what I'm saying is true.

My dream job would be a professional athlete, a spy, or special forces soldier. I'm attracted to those because they are packed with action. The first one would offer competition and the ability to perform in front of others. The latter two would include some danger, which is also something I enjoy.

In three words: competitor, explorer, protector

I think the reason I want to know my type is that I want to be able to put some sort of label on myself (even though I usually hate when people label people). I also kind of want to talk to people that might share my type. I'm also just curious.

I honestly just can't picture myself holding a public speech, even if I didn't have social anxiety. If I felt that I had something important to say, I would want to say it in interview or debate format, not just me talking. I wouldn't like saying something and other people not having the opportunity to challenge me if they disagreed. My initial thought would be excitement. I think I would want to talk about any issue that is controversial, I wouldn't really care what it was in particular.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hmm, you're hard, which just makes this a lot more fun! Does ESTP make sense to you?

Might have some more questions for the Ti/Fe and Te/Fi tomorrow, I'm still a bit unsure of those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, ESTP makes sense. When I read through the description, it fits. Problem is, ENTP fits too. I feel like I'm both of those and maybe another one that I'm forgetting.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm actually going to suggest ISFJ, which may seem a bit out of left-field, but hear me out.

First, there's clear Fe-Ti:

I don't usually like afterparties, so I would see if the driver wanted to go to the afterparty that badly. If so, I would go and while we were there, make sure the driver doesn't drink anything.
As long as that something wasn't actually hurting anyone, I would probably ignore it, especially if it was a stranger doing it.
These both strongly indicate to me that Fe>Ti, especially the first. I'm a low level Fe user. I'll go, but I'll whine non-stop about going. Then I'll feel bad for upsetting the other person.

I also think you're on the Ne-Si axis:

a. I don't think there is any particular aspect about my personality that distinguishes me from everyone else. All the aspects put together, however, is probably pretty rare. I think almost everyone can say that, though.
I think the reason I want to know my type is that I want to be able to put some sort of label on myself (even though I usually hate when people label people). I also kind of want to talk to people that might share my type. I'm also just curious.
I acknowledge them but try to find evidence to justify those feelings before I act on them. They are usually triggered when I suspect that someone might have ulterior motives for doing/saying something and might be trying to take advantage of people.
What strikes me about your answers is that there are a lot of options. Not on the surface, as I'd expect from an NTP, but just below, waiting to bubble over. STPs aren't as likely to be randomly curious. ESTPs would almost definitely not think before they jump into things. NTPs would probably start arguing here. And the answer about nothing distinguishing you from others is really not a high-Ne answer. This is Si-Ne: I want to know, but I've got a plan to keep myself from being overwhelmed.

So I'd suggest looking into the SFJ types, especially ISFJ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm interesting. I just read the description of an ISFJ from a website, and some matched, but some didn't. For example: "They value security and kindness, and respect traditions and laws." I suppose I value security and kindness, but I don't really respect traditions or laws. I'll participate in traditions if I like them and I only respect a law if I agree with it (I agree with most of them). Also, "they intensely dislike conflict." To be honest, I actually like conflict, especially verbal conflict and debate. I've never been in a physical conflict before, so I can't say for sure on that, but I feel like I would like it.

You might be on to something, though, because some of the stuff in the ISFJ description did hit home.

Regarding the afterparty thing, I was honest in my answers, but I'm really not confident about what I would do. It just seems like such a foreign situation to me, so it might be best not to read into those answers too much. I'm pretty confident in my answers in those last 3 quote boxes, though.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think you're in the right "quadrant" with the SFJ/NTP types. I think one of those four types will be a match.

My suggestion is to think of a problem you have--maybe school, work, relationships, etc. Why do you think it's a problem? Then go look up advice on that sort of problem for each type. Which set of advice is most on-point? That helped me correctly identify INTP as my type. The advice for INTJs in relationships was all about not "winning" a conversation and intimacy--sharing problems and the like. That was a strange, unhelpful vein, considering that I have a tendency to overshare and be flaky when I'm feeling awkward. But the advice for INTPs was incredibly on point--a bit painfully, to be honest. But be open to yourself and your real (or imagined, since we are talking about Ne) problems in actual, day-to-day situations and see which type is most accurate for the situations you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.